3s 850mAh model suggestions

wlfk

I currently fly only helicopters, and I'm a competent sports pilot able to do light aerobatics: loops, rolls and stall turns as well as figures of 8 and the like.
I would like to try flying fixed-wing and I have been looking at the multiplex parkmaster as an aircraft that I hope might be suitable for someone who already has some transferrable flying skills, but who at the same time doesn't want to buy anything too demanding.

I currently have a spare 15A ESC knocking around, and I have lots of 850 mAh batteries for my T-Rex 250. I had been thinking of buying the Multiplex Parkmaster 3d but the price puts me off slightly.

I'd be interested in people's opinions on whether the parkmaster would be a suitable first model for me, and whether it might be possible to  fit it with a cheaper motor than the stock one which seems to come in at £40ish! I'd also consider alternative models that might be suitable for me and that could use batteries that I own already.

Seems to me it would be really nice to search through models by battery size rather  than by manufacturer, if any shop owners are reading!

Advert

hello wlfk----as reguards what gear you have i would say the GWS formosa would fit the bill--you could prob get a suitable motor from BRC/G-COD etc for a tenner..that would go with your 15A esc......if you really want the m/plex parkmaster 3d-i would go for it -but you'll prob need a 200-300 watt motor +i would think some where in the region of a 30 amp esc and a Bigger batt(1800-2200)...so if you want to be scrooge-go for the GWS...if you want to spend...go for the m/plex kit........me-i would go for the formosa...you wont be dissapointed....a 2/300 watt motor will be in the region of £15.00-£20.00...top's...forget about fancy names/brands and fancy prices-for your local club field..the above are more than enough.....hope this help's ...

ken anderson......turnigy motor's for ever......ne 1.

Posted by Nigel Hunter on 30/03/2010 22:13:34:
This motor is ideal for the Formosa

I have also used it in a shocky (Fidget bipe) with a 3S 800 pack and it worked ok but they didn't last more than about five minutes.

I'd not be wanting to use those packs in the Formosa.

imo this bell type motor design is outdated now. i think this type of motor with a much better prop adaptor and more solid design is better, if a bit more expensive (still only £10.99 )

Thanks for all the suggestions...

It sounds as if my batts are too small for the parkmaster anyway... which is a very useful thing to know.

I'm very  much tempted to go for the GWS formosa - like the look of it and the price is far better. I may just wait a while though - I see a new stronger-foam version will be coming out soon.

In the long term, when I'm confident of my ability to fly without crashing, then I will go for something built-up as I grew up making balsa models and I like the craftsmanship. But I think I need to get some flight hours first.

The Formosa is a tried and tested great model - as for stronger foam, well its all bit academic TBH, if you crash a foam model hard, it will break, irrespective of the type of foam! Perhaps the exception here is the "solid" block type models such as V trainer, Prangster, WT etc..... any model which uses a hollow type construction for its main components like the fuselage will suffer crash damage.

Well, thank you all for your suggestions. I've put in an order for a Formosa. Should arrive at some point after Easter.

I actually like the look of the Formosa much better than the parkflyer - and it suits what I'm interested in better too - I'm more a light aerobatics person than a 3d flier.

Once I am satisfied I can fly it safely, I see a ducted fan, and maybe a large scale spit to use my 600 helicopter's batteries... But that can wait.