VMAR Bulldog.

Hi,

As you may be aware, i was extremely lucky enough to have won the competition regarding the VMAR Bulldog. The look on my face when the delivery man delivered it was priceless, as i hadn't been on here for a while so had no idea i had won!!

Details are:
Wingspan: 61"
Wing Area: 560 Sq in.
Length: 50"
Weight: 2.8-3.0kg.
Engine: .46-.61
5-7 servos.

This will be my third model and my first with flaps and a cowled engine!!!

Anyway, here is the start of a new thread regarding this delightful airplane.

First impressions, after getting over the shock, were that this model has bags of character instantly. It seems very well built and has some really nice scale details such as panel lines, dummy oleo front U/C and a great cockpit that will need a good Pilot in.

Here it is straight out of box.

All individually packaged and well looked after in the box. Polycote covering which is very strong and not a single wrinkle whatsoever as it is actually stuck to the balsa.

Starting with the fully sheeted wing, dowels glued in place with Cyano and a little Epoxy. After i was certain these had cured/dried, i then inserted the main wing joiner and connected both wing halves together, using plenty of Epoxy as i will be keeping the wings in one piece. Secured with masking tape until set together.

I also coated the 2 dowel wing securers with Cyano to toughen them up a bit.

Main U/C installed which literally involved just three screws on either one but they feel really sturdy considering. I also thread locked wheels securely for obvious reasons. They are really smart looking main wheels.

Aileron and flap servo lead holes cut out and wing tape (Supplied) apllied to add that extra bit of security. I don't think this wing has any chance at all of splitting mid flight!

Aileron and flap control horns fitted and ready to recieve servos.

I am really really pleased i won this model as it is of high quality. It has bags of character for a semi scale model and i can not wait to get this one going eventually.

The things that stick out to me are, that the hardware included is very good quality and all holes and fittings fit exactly in place so far and i havent had to adjust anything.
The instructions are definitely lacking and only cover the basics but after building the Calmato which had really in depth instructions i am coping ok.

More soon.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 14/04/2010 13:47:02

Advert

A bit more done today.

Bulkhead which is pre-installed.

The canopy minus the Pilot.

Horizontal stabilizer covering removed, epoxied in place and alligned. 

Vertical fin covering removed.

Epoxied in place and kept allign with tape until dry. It actually went in perfectly central and straight without any adjustment at all.

Cheers.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 14/04/2010 22:25:06:
Hi Ross nice looking model,going together well,what engine is going in it?

Ha Ha Ha, i have a special alarm Ken that goes off when Stephen comes within 1 mile of my house!!!!

Stephen, i think i am going to either take the Evolution TPS out of my first aircraft or get a SC52A-S Aero Engine for it. Not decided yet.

Cheers guys, broke my thumb last night so been at Hospital this morning so build might be on hold for a while!!

Posted by Ross Clarkson on 15/04/2010 12:22:24

Cheers guys, broke my thumb last night so been at Hospital this morning so build might be on hold for a while!!

Dry yer eyes wet pants. Pain? Thats what (legal) drugs are for! Show your dedication and crack on!

Looks nice though and the Pyramid decals are a good choice.

Edited By Shaun Chant on 15/04/2010 19:06:15

I fell on it playing football and bent it beyond how far it should go!!!!

I have movement in my other fingers today so might get some done today.
Also, i have decided on the SC61A MkII Series engine to go in it so that is on its way. I am also going to pop down the club and remove the servos from the Alpha 40 too.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha Ha, very funny Phil

Got some more done.
Spektrum A6000 servo's in ailerons as i was going to take the rest out of my first plane but i have decided to keep that it working order so i will be fitting DS821 servo's for the rest when they come.

Aileron servo's installed and linkages connected. Awaiting 30cm extension leads for these.

I have also connected up all the control linkages at the rear end so all completed at the rear end.

I then installed the wing and U/C to check the fit. I had to open up the wing dowel holes in the fueslage by about a mm to get it to fit but nice tight fit now. This is the first thing i have had to do which isn't standard and spot on from factory.

Then, after seeing Shaun Cant's thread on decals and deciding that the decals provided were pretty boring and not quite accurate, i bought some from Pyramid and they are awesome. I peeled the old ones off and have applied the new ones to add a little bit more of a scale touch. Decals are based on aircraft XX544 which was actually based at RAF Benson where i am now. Ok, the decals are not 100% accurate but i think they add a bit more realism.

On order are the servo's, extension leads, Rx and a new .60 size engine mount because the one provided looks a bit small and not very sturdy.
Also, i have ordered an in cowl Pitts style muffler so will do some more when all that lot comes.

Cheers.

Very nice! I've heared thet you need to keep the speed up a little on landing and try to gently kick the tail around on the turn to final wpproach to avoid a nasty tip-stall...
The date that the original full size prototype first flew on the 19th May (my birthday) 1969 (year of Apollo 11(first moon landing)) at Shoreham Airport... Where my dad's full size plane is based and is just a 20 minute drive from me!
Enough of that, this looks like a nice model! I hope it flies very well too. I hear it's very smooth in the air, very stable.

Sheldon

Some more completed today:

Installation of engine mount and engine, this is the first time i have done this so hope it works out ok.
I have changed the original mount

Bulkhead removed.

Engine mount alligned up and after i was happy with the position i marked it with pencil and drilled the relevant holes.

Captive nuts installed and hammered into place gently.

Engine mount secured, bolts thread locked and good to go.

Bulkhead re-fitted and engine installed. Drilled holes in engine mount once i found the correct position being careful to leave enough space so that cowl will fit on properly and be able to be screwed to fuselage.

Also, you will see that i have replaced the original silencer with a Justengines Pitts style muffler!! Sweet. All Engine bolts have been tightened and threadlocked. Nose U/C also fitted which did involve drilling into the mount as the mount was so close to the U/C bracket.

Please advise if you can see any mistakes i may have made??

First time she has been on all three wheels!!

Cheers.

Mistakes - your third model and your doing a very neat job. Dammit.
Looks like a nice model though. Before everything is together, get some Solarfilm Clearcoat fuel proof varnish, paint that ply on the front with it, in the tank bay, and on the firewall glued to the model. Theese may be already varnished/painted, but the stuff that is already on there is about as much use as what appears from the south end of a north-facing cow.

Sheldon