Douglas DC-3 Build

Here we go two three four.
This is my build log of a Tony Nijhuis DC-3 Dakota form the RCM&E plan and parts kit. I’ve had quick search of the net, but not found any other threads on this model, so let start one here.

As with all my model builds this is not going to be the fasted build ever, in fact I brought the kit back in 2004 when the plans were first published. Ever since the kit has sat in my loft. Still better late than never it time to make a start, motivated by the fact that a fellow club mate has also started building one and is already a long ways a head of me. It would be so nice though to have a pair of Dak’s flying together.

My build started back in July 2009, so I will post a series of photos showing the stages I went through until we come up to-date.    

August 2009.
Back from my hol's & time to get cracking on the Dak First job make up a tail wheel assembly try as I mite I couldn't find a suitable ready made one. So after a rummage in the spare box we had all the bits needed to put on together.

Next fitted the snake outer to the fuselage half's, So all that was left was to put the two half's together.

work continued at a steady pace, with an hour here and there in an attempt to keep the momentum going.

Tail feathers components were put together ready for fitting to the fuzz. I must admit that to being reluctant to fit them until I've got the main wing built & fitted. Having done my best to jig the fuzz up and measure out and mark out the tailplane location on the Fuzz, But I'm still not confident to fit it until i can check it against the wing.

I also started on the centre section of the wing. I couldn't help thinking that there is some room to take out a little weight out form the ribs. So out with the softbore tools for some hole cutting. This will also give me some ware to run the wiring for the lighting.

Ar Yes, I forgot to mention, I brought a lighting set from Robot Birds. so she will have Nav, Landing & anti coll lights.

Roy. I see you have stared your dak,I to have one got the plan got the cnc pack & they dont match the plan is,nt big enough for the wood pack. I phoned tony N & was informed by him of the wingspan ect & my plan is too small by 3" or more however I have informed the plans service of this & they will get back to me on the correct plan size, & send me a new plan I hope.John Powles

Hi Roy. thanks for the reply .,I bought my plan & pack quite recently well within the last month or so. I phoned T.N. & he  informed me of the correct size,s for Johnthe dak  & he told me that the CNC pack was the right size .so that ment that the plan was wrong.-the bulkheads were way to big for the plan so to the ribs etc., I worked it out that the plan I have is 5% to small.  How are you getting on with yours .

Hi John
Mine were a little soft but OK, I also attack them with the Holebore to take some more weight out of them.

It's been a quite couple of weeks on the building front, due to organising my wedding anniversary party
Even so, some progress has been made.
The wing sheeting is finished and the leading edges are all on & waiting to be sanded.
The landing gear has also been finished ready for fitting. Now I can appreciate why Tony went the route he did with the gear, & it is a neat & simple solution. But I wanted some think a little more like the real thing, with out the cost of the Topflite kit.
Now it wont ever win a scale comp, but I'm quite pleased with the out come. you can judge for your selves.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 28/04/2010 22:26:13

Thanks for the comment John, let us know what you decide to do.

As for progress on the Dak, well I've been day dreaming again

Having attack the leading edge with the razor plane & sanding block, the wing is ready for the engine nacelles. Much to my delight the wing fitted a treat.

As you can see I've also started fitting the nose assy, one small variation to the plan here, I've use 2mm electrical connectors instead of the wooden doles, to locate it. This give a more positive location, & less chance of ware, as the nose will be on & off more time than an Essex girls knickers.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 06/05/2010 09:34:11

Hi Roy. I see you are progessing well with it ,I bought another on on ebay complete with mouldings all there & the plan was correct size. I have informed the plans service of the 5% error on the ones supplied to me ,but  I dont suppose they will do anything about  itjohn until someone else complaines it seems these days that its a take it or leave it attitude to the punters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Progress on the Dak.
The retracts have gone in, fitted too two hard wood bearers.
As you can see from the photos the tail group has been fitted. The only concern there was what angle of incidents to use, as none are stated anywhere. After measuring up the plan I've settled on 1deg positive.

Wing fairings are complete. That was loads of Fun! I've also designed & made up a new high speed tail fairing fitted with the white running light.

The hole airframe has now been sealed with thinned non shrink dope & given a final sand, ready for the Glass Cloth.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to have this Dak built for this years flyin's

morning roy-i would give forum member craig carr a call about the  T/N DC 3 you busy with-----he has the very model which he built also from the plan/pac....it has a Horrible-Tip Stall when landing and taking off.......better to warn you in advance........  save  after all your hard work..... 

ken anderson .....ne 1.

Edited By ken anderson. on 27/06/2010 08:23:16

Hi Roy, 

Ken is right my example will drop the left wing badly and almost caught me out on the maiden flight with mine.  I emailed Tony about it and his also does it. 

You can see an example of the wing drop on take off on our club site web page (about half way down):-

To be honest though its just an example of a model that  needs up held in until it starts along the runway, then release the up elevator and as long as you you build up enough speed before rotating and then you just need the merest pinch of "up" and you should be fine,  (Like I didnt do in the video)

Craig

PS the DC3 is for sale if any forum member interested - complete with 2x500w brushless motors, 4x lipo packs for 2 flights.  All in a lovely BEA scheme.    All that you need to do is add a receiver.  Only selling because I need the space for the TN Halifax

Edited By Craig Carr on 27/06/2010 12:33:09

Thanks for your post Ken & Craig.

I did see your video before I started building, Nice save by the way .
So Tony's idea of a thicker LE at the tip doesn't work, not even on his. didn't read that in the RCM&E.

Two question did you build in any washout, I have after seeing your video. Only time will tell if that will do the trick. 
& what is the angle of incidents on yours, I've used +1 deg.

That's a very nice look Dak by the way, and love the BEA scheme. So how much you asking? 

Hi Roy so you are nearly there with it ,-its looking very nice so far as I can see you retracts seem to operate very well . I looked at that video of the other modeler,s  DAK  where it tended to tip stall on take off I hope yours is ok .It looked a bit frightning -that take off & also seemed to fly very fast even on the 2- 500hds that powered it,-awell finished model though.John

Hi Roy, I can't find my plans now but I seem to think the incidence was 0 0 although id need to borrow my mates incidence meter to double check. if you drop Tony an email via his site he's very helpful Re price of mine, whatever.....sensible offers if anyone interested. Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well it's been some time since my last up-date, & I can say that my progress has been steady
The build has git to a stage were I seem to spend hour after hour on it, but there seems to be little in the way of change. Lot's of little job that all take time, that all need finishing before the next big leap forward.

So what have I been doing, well the glass cloth is on. I used Deluxe Materials Eze-Kote Laminating resin, a new 1 part water based resin, over Deluxe Materials light weight cloth.

John Bristow gave me a bottle of EZe-Kote about this time last year, keen to get my thoughts before they had released it to the market. John has quizzed me ever time we've met since, what do you think?, have you tried it yet?.

Sorry John better late than never I have at last used it.
It seems to works very well, with no nasty smells. & was touch dry in about 20 to 30 Mins. Being water based it was al so quick to clean up afterwards. What I did forget to do was weigh the parts before I covered them.

I've also fitted the motors & service to the wing, this includes the plumbing for the retracks, & all the wiring for ESC's & lighting circuits.
I did a moment of doubt about the amount space in the engine nacelles, & would every thing fit.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 25/07/2010 23:43:00