Douglas DC-3 Build

• 1 month later...
Hi Roy,

Are you able to resite the ESCs to say the top of the wing.  that way you will be extending the esc to motor wires.

Currently looks like you probably had to extend the battery to esc wires which I understand from previous threads can lead to interference and possibly blow the input capacitors on the ESC

If Tims listening in he will know the full techy side of this.

Very long battery to ESC leads can cause a problem - but much depends on the quality of the ESC and especially its input smoothing capacitors. It looks like a turnigy plush unit, and I have used these in an EDF with very long battery leads and it was fine.
Yours look to be only half the length that I ended up with
Usual disclaimer appies

Thanks for the concern lads, on the lead lengthens.
Yer I have read about problems with long battery leads, but I'm not totally sold on some of the theory's behind them. 

As you say Tim some EDF models & pushers have very long battery leads, and fly just fine.
I think it could be more than just the quality of the ESC, but also involves the contact resistance of any & all the plugs, the cable gage, line resistance ect.

So for the time being we will suck it and see, & if all turns to a bag of poo, I will move them.

Shaun the silver thing in the nacelle are the cylinders of the retract  units.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It’s been a while since I last updated the build log. Progress has been a bit slow painfully slow almost, but progress there has been. The fuzz is primed ready for the topcoat, & a set of cabin windows are ready to fit.

I decided to make the windows fit flush into the cut out, rather than just sticking the acetate sheet on the in side. It’s more time consuming but I think the end result will just looks that much better.

So my first successful attempt at plunge moulding has produced a nice little set of windows.

Thanks for the comments.

The paint I'm using for this in the main is Halford's car paints.

There is one issue I have with the paint scheme, & that how to do the yellow pinstripes ether side of the blue waste band.
I'm in two minds, should I try and do it with spray paint, or will it just be quicker , simpler to use a pinstripe tape. Comment's welcome!

Posted by Roy Thompson on 25/03/2011 12:34:20:
Thanks for the comments.

The paint I'm using for this in the main is Halford's car paints.

There is one issue I have with the paint scheme, & that how to do the yellow pinstripes ether side of the blue waste band.
I'm in two minds, should I try and do it with spray paint, or will it just be quicker , simpler to use a pinstripe tape. Comment's welcome!

hello roy--you are making a really good job...well done from me...try 'model technic's' trim line.....comes in different colours and is on a roll with about...6-9 different widths......should do what you want and will save a bit of work for you....

ken anderson ne..1.

• 4 weeks later...
News flash. With more models lining up for their turn on the building board, I've bitten the built & started painting.

At leads me to another job I dont like doing masking up, I think I'm
becoming paranoid about missing a gap here or getting a paint bleed
there or the tape taking off paint.

So finger & toes crossed it will all turn out fine in the end.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 21/04/2011 10:56:49

• 2 weeks later...
The end must be in site now

As you can see the fuzz is painted & just needs all the detail adding. On the inside the cabin windows are in & so are the Nav Lights. Rudder & elevators are fitted & servos will be go in shortly.

The only other little job I've done is to make up a servo saver for the closed loop set-up on the tail wheel steering. I will add a photo of this next time.

• 1 month later...
As ever the progress on the DAK has been going on a pace! As ever a very steady pace, a very steady slow pace.

Work has continued on the wing with a couple of coats of primer-filler, and lots of rubbing down.

Then I came up with a way to slow my self down yet again. I started
fitting the engine nacelles, & realized that they are lacking the
engine air intakes.

Tony’s plans shows dummy intakes shaped from balsa blocks; well I want
to use mine to supply cooling air to the speed controllers.

So out with the plaster of paris, balsa blocks & car filler. A few days later I had a mould ready for vac forming

Edited By Roy Thompson on 19/06/2011 00:28:50

• 3 weeks later...
Well a bit more progress, but still plenty to do before her maiden!

Job's left to do:
Fit aileron servos, make and fit battery tray, fit air
tank & control valve for the retracks, fit pilots and finish adding
decals.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 06/07/2011 17:32:36