Multiplex Fun Cub

Stephen Grigg

Im not experienced to tell how much difference the flaps make,but I find my best landings are with a little bit of power,Never manage a tip stall seems very stable at all times an as i say very forgiving.when the battery starts to get low I keep quite close to the landing area but never have to many dramas..I normally run a 12x6 prop

Advert

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 17/05/2010 22:50:32:
Fitted the flaps and tested them and the ailerons.As I suspected,you need areverse Y lead for the flaps,so Ill wait until that arrives bsfore I continue.Want to get the flaps right before I glue the servos in position

Just been fitting flaps to the Mentor, and decided to mount the servos the same way both sides relative to the wing.

I only want to use one receiver channel, I like to use two for the ailerons so that I can set different up and down travel, but I won't be buying a reversing cable, all you have to do is to reverse the motor wires and the two outer wires on the position pot, and the servo will be reversed. Remembering to stick a "reversed" label on it! Takes less than 5 minutes, so a very cheap and easy way out.

ANNOYED

Just got an email from WLM saying they are out of stock, but their site did not say so at the time of order (though many of their models were stated as being out of stock.

Not annoyed about them being out of stock, but the fact that the web site was not up to date, I could have had an extra few days looking elsewhere

Apart form the flaps and wheels, what is the difference between the Easycub and the Funcub?  I'm sure it must be more than just that!

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 09/08/2010 19:40:22:
A friend is trying to find one in the UK also and struggling!

I have been looking, and it seems that some companies are willing to take your money, then tell you it is on backorder.

Not very honest, but I will phone tomorrow, but looking at what the decent companies say, they will only be in stock at the end of August beginning of September. Judging by phone calls I have had with Multiplex in the past, that could well mean the end of September-October, or some time in the future, they seem extremely casual, thought they do come up with the info/goods in the end.

If I find any tomorrow, I will post where here.

I know Galaxy have 12 orders waiting and a.re getting no dates from Multiplex.Look at there side of things,they have a model selling like hot cakes and cant get them.Its difficult for me to comment on the difference between the Easicub and Fun Cub, because its 2 years sgo I had the fun cub and Ive learnt so much in that time.Id been flying the Easystar with a 400 brushed motor So when I fitted this tiny  little brushless motor into the Easicub,I didnt expect  what happened next.remebering I was a novice,I hand launched the cub and to me Id just released a rocket,It shot stright up( id got thr down thrust wrong.It was then over my head upside down and Im trying to keep up ,keep my balance ans catch it up.Its now completing a loop,of course its going to crash ,no height Ive just hand launched it.Bear in mind Ive forgotten you can throttle beck Im to busy trying to get control,WOW its missed the ground,                      but hang on its heading straight for me,Im diving out of the way its now heading up straight for some power cables,Ive managed to miss them but its now disappearing towards a business park.I surrender and swich the throttle down and try to land in thr distance.A small repair required and a new prop.Telephone Galaxy,Gery explains about down thrust and how to adjust it explains to reduce the throttle and the second flight was a succes and I had many hours learning to fly and having a great time.I did go on to the Mentor but was initially caught out by the extra power,the same power train as the Fun Cub.But with the 2 years of experience Im able to control the power and enjoy my flying that much more

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 10/08/2010 00:07:09:
I know Galaxy have 12 orders waiting and a.re getting no dates from Multiplex.Look at there side of things,they h................................................t much more

Love you description of the first cub flight!

At least it survived.

I remember my first flight, not quite so dramatic. I started the engine and set it up, taxied round a bit, then the instructor came up and checked the controls were all right and gave me back the transmitter. Take off was a bit uneven, veered hard left then hard right, but it straightened up OK, flew round for about ten minutes and landed not very smoothly, bounced and killed the motor. The instructor commented that I should practice landing it a bit closer so that it wasn't such a long walk to pick it up. When I told him it was my first flight, he turned deep red and apologised, he thought someone else had been teaching me before. Fortunately the flying field that was on was mown polo fields, about 1500X2500 feet so precision landings were not needed. (35 years later and my landings are only slightly more accurate, our clubs runway is about 300' X 45' and that is about achievable )

Noted what you say about the back orders and unknown delivery dates, pity, I'm off for the school holidays, and was hoping to get one soon. Our baby's due date is today, and of course that will make flying times less as well.

The main thing that stops me ordering an easy cub now is the weight. It is under 1000g, so can't be used for the "A" test, and I was hoping my young son could use it to progress on. He flies a small (30-36" I think) Cub by himself, that has survived up to now, but he's 8 and doesn't really have the desire to fly in a disciplined manner yet.
Modifying the Easycub to have ailerons and flaps would not be a problem. I read that the fuselage is the same, but I don't see where the weight difference comes in, about 200g, even if you add 40g for servos, 40g for a bigger battery, 30g for the motor it still doesn't come close.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 10/08/2010 15:27:07:
Get ready for silly grin time Steve

Sounds from what people say that I will need to.

I finished the flaps on the Mentor yesterday, but couldn't try it this morning because of the rain, so it will be interesting to compare them both with flaps.

Sounds good, but hope it doesn't glide too much like the Mentor. Looking at videos on youtube, it seems that it can approach at a much steeper angle than the Mentor.

The wind flying is one I look forward to seeing, as the Mentor does seem to get blown around a fair bit. No problem taking off and landing really (apart from the flat approach), just flies a very zigzag course through the sky if left hands off.

I will be fitting a 3536 1100 motor, the same as I have in the Mentor, it won't give me vertical climb, but will be very well powered. I may try the same motor with a 1400kv speed rating, and use a smaller prop if I break them