Futaba 6EXA

Stephen  Harrison

I purchased a set from my model shop last year for 135.99 for my initial set up to model flying. Out of the box it looked impressive and then i opended the manual. After looking at all of the facilities and settings i was amazed as to what it could do. I installed in the plane and set it up in my transmitter. the radio features EXPO, Dual rates, 'V' tail mixing, flaperon setings, just to name a few. in my trainer i only used EXPO to calm the controls down and that was about it. when I had 2 planes the model memory is very useful (6 models). I have filled the memory in mine and have 2 more planes on the way which is a bit of a problem. the new version also features a throttle cut that once set up saves trouble and allows a quick way to cut the engine.

I would rate the controller 10/10 as a beginner because of it's facilities and reliability. as a novice pilot I give it 9/10 as it hasn't quite got enough model memory. another piece of information is the coding - after working in a model shop for a while i discovered the code means this-

6EX - radio name
6EXAP - PCM version (aircraft)
6EXHP - PCM version (helicopter)
6EXAPL/R - (L/R)indicate mode
(L-Mode 2, R - Mode 1)
the radio is avaliable in a number of sets

6EXAP deluxe - 179.99 (pcm reciver)
6EXAP - 129.99 - standard set
6EXAP TX - 57.99 - TX only
6EXHP - 139.99 - heli feature throttle
hold

hope this is some help.

• 3 weeks later...
Are you using it for flying or for cars, boats etc? (35mhz for flying, 27 & 40mhz everything else.)

It will work fine with any Hitec, Futaba or most other rxs. But remember you get what you pay for! Just be sure that use the same crystal make as the rx it is installed in.

hi trevor
i must back shaun on this,are you flying, boating or rc cars. because if you are intending to fly you must not use 40mhz for flying. 40mhz is reserved for surface use only. i cannot reitorate this enough. if you have purchased this from a shop they should have told you this. you must only use 35mhz for r/c flight on top of that you cannot change the receiver and crystals to acheive this. it is inbuilt into the transmitter which frequency band it is. be it 35mhz or 40mhz.so unfortunately you would need another transmitter if you intend to fly with it. hope this helps
regards
nasa

I bought a 6EXAP transmitter to replace my Challenger which had apparently died. I had intended to have the Challenger serviced until I discovered the minimum charge for this. The new Tx wasn't much more...

I have managed to use the system to give abbreviated names to the models I have set up - perhaps not ideal but does it really matter? There is always the "paper record" scanned or photocopied from the back of the manual to keep full details.

I purchased the 6EXAP and is a very good introduction to computer radio! I too used the 'paper record' and the system serves me very well with my 6 models that I have which are:-

Hawker Hunter
Sonas
Cloudhopper
Sukhoi 26
Thingamajig (own design)
De Agostini Spitfire

Quote from Shaun Chant
My only complaint is the model memories can't be named.

Shaun as Malcolm mentioned you can programme names upto 4 digits, It's not great but it's enough for me to know whats on memory 1 to 6. I've got two Thunderbolts so ones Thud and the other is simply Jug. Me remembering which one i call what is the confusing bit :)

Walts

Yep Shaun, the 6EXAP page 10-11 0f the manual. Hold down both keys, select the memory no., press select key, chose character for first digit using data input lever, move to next digit by pressing select key and so on......
HTH
Walts

EDIT sorry press select key 3 times to get into name menu (At stage 3 of above)

Hi Shaun,
I'm sorry mate, When pepole talk about the 6EXA I thought it was the same basic model with other letters referring to it's use i.e. aircraft, helecopter etc. I didn't realise that the system had been upgraded from the original model.
I've just searched the web for both 6EXA and 6EXAP manuals and you are quite right the 6EXAP is a latter model which incorperates this function, the 6EXA does not. Sorry again to have raised your hopes. I only bought mine last year to replace my long suffering Challenger sets.

Walts

Have the recent 6EXAP.

Feeling my way with it, but here's my initial view.

I LIKE the feel, and the model memory function seems pretty good. (Set up for two so far)

The settings programming is OK, no more, not that intuative.

I HATE the absence of clear battery state lights, the difficult to see at a glance visual and almost inaudible "warning" is pure rubbish and a BIG issue....... FIX IT FUTABA!!!

Funny, the mentions of what's best for beginners, for the budget computer transmitters the Hitec Optic 6 has a far better specification than the 6EXA for similar money. It also has common sense features in it, like timers? They are quite handy. If you want to stick with the same brand for your RX's then you'll also find the pretty standard purchase of a Dual Conversion 8 Channel RX will be cheaper going for Hitec each time than Futaba, so the ongoing costs of owning more and more planes is cheaper.
Other things to note are that the Hitec has a bigger, clearer display and has more model memories, and they are both big name brands so I'd go for the HITEC every time.

• 2 weeks later...
As a newbie I would recommend you save a lot of money and buy a secondhand Futaba 6 channel Tx either a Challenger or Skysport or an FF6 ( 52 aniversary version ). The FF6 is a far better computer set than the horrible EXAP that replaced it.Even an FF6 would only cost you around £40.
Only spend big money later when you know it is for you and you have a bit more knowledge about what you need / want.
Regards ,
Andy T.

• 4 weeks later...
Gunner,

First a quick apology - there is no preset ailerin to rudder mix.

However on p12 (of my 2003 instruction manual) are the instructions for "P.MIX - programmable Mixer" and the example shown is an aileron & rudder mix. There are two things that you will need to be aware of in relation to that example:

1. The example shows the ailerons (Ch1) as the master channel and Rudder (Ch4) as the slave, the application you have in mind may require them to be the other way round perhaps (i.e.Rudder as master)?

2. The example does not show how much mix to put in or if it should be positive or negative. The answer to this lies in what it is you wish to achieve and the installation in your aircraft and you will only get the answers by ground testing first, this is not optional, then air testing with small amounts of mixing added until you get the right setting.

So typicaly then, you have a biplane which you wish to control turns by aileron input but really to get a decent turn or with some biplanes at very low speed to get any turn at all you need some rudder input as well. Best first step is get an experienced biplane pilot to assist you, then do the following.Set up the P.MIX as detailed in the example then add in small amounts of mix, say +5%. When you have done this observe the effect on the ground and ask yourself, how far did the rudder move and did it move in the correct direction - left aileron, left rudder.

If the rudder moved in the wrong direction change the mix to -5%.

If when the aileron stick is moved to it's maximum extent the rudder moved a tiny amount, say 1/8" to 1/4" then test fly with that. If there was no visible movement then check you have followed the instructions correctly and try 10%, you should definately see something happen by then.

Test fly on this very low setting and carry out subsequent tests and adjustments until you get the effect you want. DON'T OVERDO IT. Too much rudder mix with your ailerons will have it rolling over and pitching down before you know it.

For what it's worth, I don't use any mixing on my biplane (SE5a), I put in the required amount of rudder myself. That way I can chose the type of turn I want. For example a big shallow turn can easily be acheived with just a little rudder, a little rudder & a little aileron can give a tighter banked turn but for a tight flat turn a handfull of rudder and some compensating opposite aileron works well. I also know of some people who only put in a little rudder to initiate the turn then complete the rest of it on ailerons. The point being that if you can already achieve or have the opportunity to learn these different types of turns without risking your aircraft, then perhaps you might ask yourself why you need the mix?

Of course you may be an experienced pilot already and I've just gone on & one like a know it all, apologies if that is the case.

Was that any help?

No one has mentioned the Sanwa VG6000(is Sanwa a Taboo manufacturer?)

I was amazed to be able to get my first "computer" radio tx (VG6000) for under £40 with Nicads. OK so it only has four model memories (that can't be named); when I bought it I only had four flyable planes at any one time (If I arrived at the flying field with more, by the end of the day....four flyable planes)

I found the programming very easy and logical, and the display sizeable and easy to read. It does flapperons/elevons, and it does some basic mixing.

I was tempted by the 6EXA, and the Hitec Optic, but they cost more (Futaba), or looked cheaper (HiTEC).

I liked the VG6000 so much I invested in an RD6000 super set.

Of course the price of new Sanwa Rxs is quite a downer - but my TX seems to work fine with TXs from other manufacturers.

Anyone else a closet Sanwa user?

AlistairT