Phil Smith

Phil Smith, the designer of many of the Veron range of model aircraft, died on Sunday 23rd May according to the SAM 1066 and R/C Groups websites.

Such a sad loss so soon after the death of David Boddington.

I never met him in person but spoke to him on the telephone and bought the plan of the Monocoupe 90A from him which flew well, powered by a PAW 19 diesel, until a strut failed. My fault. One day perhaps I'll rebuild it.

In these ARTF days, we truely will not see his like again.  

Advert

David

It is a great pity if the death of Phil Smith is not noted in any of the magazines. Many if not all British modellers have not had our enjoyment of the hobby influenced for the better by Phil et al.

I recently was told (although do not know if true) that Phil started his modelling career in Manchester. Having a model shop near to the then Central Station, now G Mex.

I was also told that he moved to Bournemouth, as his wife Veronica, came from the area, and Manchester was and is not as nice. I think it is true the Veron, derives from Veronica.

I once had the pleasure of advice from Phil on the construction of a ducted fan model, his business had manufactured a number of models and fans. Like many of his disposition, he had the time to spend with someone unknown, who could be helped in an area where he was knowledgeable.

I still have fond memories of the Veron Deacon. Unlike many other models of the era, it flew and in the right hands flew well.

Could some one with some knowledge of Phil and family put together a fitting epitaph, as to some extent he is one of the UK unsung heroes.

Erfolg

Coming so soon after Boddington's demise, this is really quite distressing. I have some of Phil's typed letters he sent when we were exchanging information on 'Concord' and they will remain treasured reminders of the man, as will the model itself.  Dunno how many cut their teeth on Phils designs, but it was that every 'Aeromodeller', 'Model Aircraft' and early 'RCM&E'  had a page of Veron ads. My thoughts are with the family. We won't see the like again.
Evan. 

Very sad to hear this.

My first successful flight with an rc model was with a mini-Robot, Cox .049, MacGregor single channel and an Elmic escapement. I later built and flew a Robot with an AM25 and Grundig radio gear. They were brilliant models, both of them.

I met Phil briefly a couple of times when I visited John Haytree down in Devon. Phil used to holiday down there too, and was a regular visitor to John's place. It was John who originally taught me to fly C/L, and later R/C in the 60's.

Phil was a lovely chap, and its a shame that his designs aren't more readily available. I would love to build another Robot......!

--
Pete

How very sad,I heard this earlier in the week.
The week before I received the plan for his Cherokee design with a nice letter enclosed from his son,Colin,who said that all his dad's plans and designs were avaialble through him and would continue to be so for many years.
I have his address if anyone wishes to contact me so they can order a plan.
John

Today (11/06/10) I happened to be reading the RCM&E which mentioned that Phil Smith was ill in hospital. Strangely, on arriving at work, a colleague mentioned to me (knowing I was an aeromodeller)  that he was reading the telegraph last Saturday and had I heard of him.

It was a shock to hear this, hence my immediate search here for comments. I never met him but throughout my life certainly knew of him, and, as you might have gathered shared his name.

I have also been contacted for plans in the passt when emailed and had to explain that although proud that I might have been him, was in fact, just an ordinary aeromodeller only.

I will remember him.

Phil Smith.

With regard to theTelegraph orbituary.

Phil Smith was a Northen lad, coming from Stockport, near Manchester, but to a Stockportian, a very different town.

He and a partner set up a business in Manchester, "NORMAC",( Northen Model Aircraft Company). I wonder what this buisness was or did? 

Apparently Phil moved to Bournemouth to manage "Model Aircraft Stores", the owner of which was called Veronica. Who sold kits under the Veron brand.  So not one of Phils wifes, of which he had 4. 

• 3 years later...
Just came across this forum and just wanted to say, Phil was my great uncle, i had the pleasure of watching him working in his personal workshop at home for hours on end as i grew up. A top bloke, who is clearly greatly missed in the modeling world. Thanks for all the amazing comments guys. Its really appreciated and its great to know hes not forgotten.