Building TN Halifax

Hi guys
To follow the pleasure that gives me the building of the Lysander specialy for all the good friends that I made during the build, all the good advice and a lot of shared information I decid to make the pre-sale order of TN Halifax and intended to post the building evolution here in this thread.
Untill all the parts of the plane arrive I intend join all the information possible about the real one to help me during the building to make it the most scale look possible.
As many of you, specially Papa from Canada had acess to the real one I ask to put here all the pictures, sites, drawings, everything you got that serves to complement the building.
Thank you very much
Regards
Mario

Advert

Hi guys
Thank for the information.
Always planning my holydays to go to exotic countries with greats beach and sun but now
I have a strong reason to left a few days and go to England to Yorkshire Air Museum and
look that beautiful "machine".with my own eyes.
In my net exploring appears many times this Fryday 13fh Halifax and it is very well placed to be the elected, and I'm not supersticious.
If you know something about color schemes for the Halifax just post here.
Regards
Mário

Edited By Supermario on 30/05/2010 23:03:23

Hi Mario,

So it's to be the dear old Halifax, you lucky man. I have Tony's Lanc
which if a fantastic flyer, but the Halifax  at 1/12 scale would make
it an expensive electric.
Anyway as you know my coming winter project is to be Tony's
Bristol Beaufighter, so over the next 5 months I will be gathering
all the necessary goodies for  winter hibernation in the model den.

regards  Terry 

Hi guys
The search for documentation continues and I received today a PC cd-rom from
www.flyingzonedirect.com  The Halifax B.MK.III Explored, that I found when I was
looking an american guy doing one Halifax at RC Groups.
I just made a quick view and I'm satisfied. There are many details and many information about all the Halifaxs in UK.
Well, is time to continue searching.
I just have to find a good 3d view of the plane, for the airframe panel lines.
Regards
Mário

Hi Mario, it's Jack in Toronto. We are fortunate here in having a Halifax in our Air Force Museum. It's about an hour and a half from me so if you need photos just ask. Here's a link

http://airforcemuseum.ca/en/aircraft/aircraft/halifax

Jack.

Edited By Papa on 10/06/2010 23:17:18

Edited By Papa on 10/06/2010 23:17:30

Hi Graham
Is faboulous the documentation you send me.
Now I begin to be confuse about the colour scheme for my Halifax because there are so many and so nice....
With the CD-rom from flyingzone, one book that I ordered in Amazon.com -Halifax Squadrons of World War 2 (Osprey Combat Aircraft 14) , the scanned images from Tony Prince, The PDF format files that Graham send, various pictures from Internet and I think I will just order the 3d views from Bob Banka's Aircraft Documentation and that's done.
Regards
Mário

HI Supermario,

I have the plans now and my vac formed parts arrived yesterday.  The CNC/wood pack is still a week or so away.

However, I have made the sterrable tail wheel today.  I need to give the metal a final dressing with some emery paper and then spray it with primer and paint it (matt black I think).

The tail wheel is 70mm (2 3/4") so that gives some idea of the size of the model. 

The only thing I need to add to the assembly is a rubber grommet which stis between the clamping nut and the brass outer....  struggling to find some that are suitable ...   

Edited By Craig Carr on 13/06/2010 17:24:43

Hi guys
This gonna be a long race and Craig just took advantage,
Me and Graham still at warming up stage.
Also, I must tell that, going in front means that you arrive first to the difficulties and then for us going aft just have to wait for the solutions...lololol.
I think next week I'll begin receiving the stuff from Myhobbystore since they e-mail me telling
the items are allready shiped.
The tail wheel look very nice, Craig
Regards
Mário

Hi Mario,

The sudden rush only happened because it was a choice of either:-

1. Make the tail wheel
2. Watch an episode of "desperate housewives" that my wife had on the televison

Option 1 was the only option really. 

Tonight I have prepared the metal work and sprayed it with 4 coats of  Primer.  Tomorrow is the colour. 

Im thinking matt (flat) black from what I can see of the photos.  What do you think?

Craig

Hi Craig

Do you allready decided what colour scheme you gonna choose for your Halifax?

Many Halifaxes that I've been studying uses black matt as under colour.

Is strange, but here in Portugal, particullary in my house, also have the some episode. The last episode theme was making a paralel between dresses and modelplanes costs. Isn't a coincidence?

Regards
Mário

Hi Graham,

A nice study, will it also include retract rear wheel?

As I said to Mario, I would have loved to have joined you guys on this build,
but for various resons it's 'no can do', anyway a 6.5 foot fuselage would never
fit in my car
Being a TN fan,  I hope you guys do not mind me poking my nose in occasionally.

If it flies only half as good as Tony's Lanc, it will still be a wonderfull model. 

The finished tail wheel.  Used a bit of fuel tubing in the end for the grommet which acts as a sort of shock absorber.

Email from Tony yesterday. The CNC/Wood pack are due to be despatched soon   Then the real work begins

Hokey dokey.  Off to my local for a  and watch the match....  Hope it dosen't end in

Edited By Craig Carr on 18/06/2010 18:59:57

Hiya Terry,

Firstly (re the world cup) - just about....... but managed to keep a stiff upper lip

Regarding the power for the Halifax I have mulled that one over a fair bit, had a PM with Mario about it as well. 

Going the IC route for this one.  I like the thought of the reliability of electric (a massive advantage on a multi) - and had thought of fitting a sound system as I really think this model needs to be heard

However, in the end,I think some nice 4 strokes up front are the way to go. having watched Tonys youtube of the model.

Craig 

Craig,

The sound of muti 4st engines in sychronisation was what I sadly missed
when I decided to go all electric, but I must say electric removes all anxiety
of engine failure. That is of cause you do not lose a prop.

My last multi IC was Brian Taylors Mosquito, and used SM Services auto
glows, but even so being a twin that nagging fear remained.

I finally  donated it to Salisbury Hall, Mosquito Museum, London Colney.

But as you rightly say,  a Halifax of that size cries out to be heard. 

Terry