Tatty treasures

Advert

Yes, no one writes like AW. 

Mind if I hijack this Tim.  I was turning through dad's shed the other day and much like Alex always turn up some interesting old stuff. So I brought some of them into work when we had a photographer along. 

Remember Fox engines? Dad used them a lot in the 1970s and 80s. Some didn't like them but he didn't have problems. I hadn't realised how dated they look until I compared one to a new O.S. - positively vintage!

Elmic corporal is for motor control. Still have the 'UK' Rx I built back in '62 when it was published in RCM&E. Unable to check if working as I gave away my 'Windy Kreulen' Tx to Mike Crisp of 'Model Aero Services'. As an aside I have every issue of RCM&E published, duplicates of the early years as well. Some say I'm a sad individual and I should get out more and get a life.

Oops - misread it and (as a club treasurer) almost took offence at the title...

David - I've got an old Fox 15 engine.  It hasn't run for probably 20 years or more.  I used it 30+ years ago on control-line models,  and it wasn't very good even back then!

30-odd years of dust and grime don't really help its appearance though!

And I've got a whole set of those Futaba FD-16M servos.  I think mine are a little older than yours - the plug looks a little less sophisticated!  Remember they did red label and black label versions that rotated in opposite directions because nobody had even dreamed of putting a little switch on the tranny to reverse the throws.  I still have the tx (M6) and rx somewhere,  and a full set of 27MHz xtals.

Edited By John Privett on 11/06/2010 22:09:55

David
A Futaba 16M is relatively modern 3 wire servo.
How about a linear 5 wire one like this?
And its mine not my Dads.
It goes with this Digimax 5.
This Tx has built in 240V transformer to charge its 9.6V NiCd and a lead to charge the 6V Rx battery as well. As a result its not the lightest thing in the world!    

I was always brought up never to throw anything away unless it was absolutely worn out. In 1988 I bought my first radio, a Sanwa Conquest, second-hand but unused, off a lad who was setting up "on his own." (Builders will know what I mean!)

I shall be using it tomorrow in my Flair Hooligan.  

On the other hand I have two transmitters with  combined memories sufficient to allow for sixteen models and I don't have that many in flying condition. Perhaps in the interests of safety it would be wise to replace the Sanwa receiver with a 2.4Ghz alternative. If I can make my current job last till the end of September, which I fear is unlikely, then I'll do it.

Please note that I have changed the batteries in my Conquest several times since 1988!  

David
I bought the Digimax 5 in a car boot sale 20 years ago, still in (most of) its box for a £5. It is complete with 4 servos (3 linear, 1 conventional) and a 6v DEAC and it all worked then, with new batteries I think it still would.
I assume it is 27mHz but the crystals have no markings at all.

Now if we really go back - a McGregor Terrytone kit.
Above are the original boxes the bits came in.
Home made Tx note the huge compartment for the 96v HT and 1.5V LT batteries
5 transistors - not exactly micro circuitry but then it is DIY.
Frequency? 27mHz(ish) but no crystal, you just adjust the tuners to give maximum range.
I seem to remember it cost about £25 in 1960 about £300 today.
It was used with an Elmic Conquest rudder escapement.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/06/2010 05:35:59:
How much was the radio Simon? Have you ever worked out what it would

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/06/2010 05:36:14

The Futaba Digimax was introduced in about 1969,and was sold with a complete set of ( 27 mhz ) crystals ,only 6 frequencies, and also frequency flags,red,orange,blue,brown,green, and yellow. It was the first 'affordable' proportional radio sold,and cost,at the time,about £124 with four servos. I bought one, but could only afford 3 servoes.Bear in mind,it was a lot of money in 1969,when wages were very much lower than today.It took a lot of saving,and selling my old OS reed equipment,to be able to afford it. I remember a few years previousley, a set of  Kraft gear was the same price as a new  Austin Minivan !The Futaba gear was very reliable,the only problems were the servo lugs were easily broken,and the gears would strip at the slightest provocation.However, spare gears were cheap and easily obtainable,and we would strip and repair a servo at the field..................Mal