Dedicated online auction site

OK guys and Gals, I have made sure that I will not be breaking any forum rules and regs with Tim Mackey so here goes.

I have set up an online auction site specifically for RC Modellers of all disciplines and would like to draw your attention to it.

Unlike the market leader in online auctions the fees do not attempt to bankrupt sellers just maintain the site. 

It is in early stages but is working well and has been thoroughly tested, it uses paypal so sellers and buyers are protected. I have had some exceptionally good feedback from individuals and clubs alike.

Registration is free and you even get £3 credit to encourage you to sell all those unwanted items so you can then go out and buy those nice new shiny bits and bobs.

I would appreciate any feedback from you all( the experts) as to any changes you think may be useful.

So here is the link   http://www.rc-model-auction.com

Thanks for looking.

Advert

Hi Geoff, looking good, one slight problem i have found (using Firefox) i cant select paypal as payment instruction.  Not sure if its my internet or the site itself, also shows broken links for Visa, Western Union etc.
Good luck with this.
Mark

Are you sure you know what you're doing .Just had a quick look through a few prices .eg £249 for a three channel system ? I think NOT !I don't think you are an aeromodeller -just covering all aspects of all modelling regimes .Please tell me if I've got it wrong 'cos I like the idea having said all that .
You did ask for comments !

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 24/06/2010 20:31:53

Top marks Geoff, I hope the site gets plenty of support, I've got a few things that need a new home. I've been reluctant to list them on the well known auction site but a specific modelling auction site sounds just the ticket. I'll just have to be careful not to spend all my pennies on the site buying more stuff!

Geoff, ok, I'm now registered. I like the idea but have a couple of questions

Didn't seem to have received my confirmation email. On checking, AOL had sent it straight into the spam folder. When I retrieved that and hit the "click here" link to activate my account it initially sent me to Bebo?? Used the back button and all is now ok, however I'm wondering if that was just my pc/browser or a more general issue with the link

Lastly, a direct question. Registering for this site requires a lot of personal info - as much as I've ever had to enter anywhere else. Is that purely for your own use, or will that be sold on or used in any other way not directly related to transactions made on this auction site

Cheers, Ian

Q: Why is Geoff allowed a 'private' profile.  Hes advertising a business, with NO comeback through this site !! As IanN above says - theres a lot of personal info collected by this site, and the 'small print' is very vague.  Relying on the seller/bidder to know the relevant laws as applicable !

I have registered.  But, the more I think about it the more I now want my account deleted.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/06/2010 01:00:26

I also had AOL send the confirmation email to spam, something that you need to look into Geoff as it doesn't look all that professional when things like that happen.

Agreed with the personal information. If it is all done through Paypal then that information is already stored there, if I pay by Paypal for example the seller will get my address or if I'm selling I will get the buyers address why do you need it? OK county and town are useful for objects too heavy or large to post, but I can't help thinking in the back of my mind if I wanted to collect the addresses of a large number of people to target with sales stuff or more worrying with expensive modelling equipment in sheds etc, such a site would be an ideal way to gain peoples trust?

So is it necessary to collect, address, phone number etc from those that register? A lot of information for a site that disclaims any responsibility for the transactions.

Just mentioning it because I felt the same as Ian and BB when I signed up that it was a lot of information to give and it made me feel a little uncomfortable.  If three of us feel like that so will others and it may put a lot people off, which would be a shame as I'm sure you are totally genuine and I wish the site well.

Edited By Gemma Jane on 26/06/2010 04:01:52

Hello again,

thanks for the comments feedback to address a few of the concerns brought up.

1.BB To be honest BB I didnt realise I was showing a private profile, I beleive that is all sorted now.

2. I agree with you all regarding the detailed info , the auction site script came out of the box so to speak and I will be making changes to the coding this weekend to address all of your concerns and info that has already been entered by users will be deleted.

As a quick fix you can log into the site go to personal information in My Account and edit the first line of your address to XXXXXXXXXXX

3. As far as information that is collected, none is in any way sold or divulged to third parties.

4.and finally AOL email problems are on going and something that many users and companies have problems with, but I will look to find a solution.

Hopefully that helps, if you think of anything else let me know either here or to [email protected]

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Harris on 26/06/2010 06:45:27