Range of AR500 reciever

Mike Downs

Advert

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 26/07/2010 20:29:31:
It's a full range unit Mike so go ahead. I've seen AR500's in far larger models.

Absolutely agree with David - the AR500 is a full-range receiver - and that's as far away as you'll ever want the model to be

Pete

Posted by Lee Smalley on 27/07/2010 11:19:38:
who goes around saying they are indoor only !!!
 People who don't get out much?

Despite my misgivings about the long term future of DSM2 I bought yet another AR500 yesterday - that'll be my fifth one. I do tend to fly a long way off  with my BVR Tucano and the link looked rock-solid to me.

The same goes for the ones in use in my Mini Edge 3D and my boy's Ripmax Spitfire which are both flying well out of what I'd deem to be typical parkflyer ranges and have beencompletely rock solid so far.

I have 6 of these units now, in models ranging from simple sloper wings, to .90 sized four stroke Spitfire, and a 63 " Spacewalker.
Never had an issue - they are great, IF you install them correctly.
I firmly believe that almost all reports of poor performance is probably down to sloppy installation.
They are as stated earlier - full range, but as an aside, I also have several so called park fly range Spekky rx, including the older 1st generation DSM AR6000, as well as the 6100s and they all perform superbly and WAY beyond what would be normally classed as park fly range.
I have a 6000 DSM in my 46" Wildthing and regularly "speck this out" up at the Orme.

I've taken to installing these with the long aerial in a piece of heatshrink CA'd to the fuselage side, ensuring that the aerial is retained in the correct orientation, perpendicular to the short one, but without directly taping it down.The received itself is velcroed or servo taped to the fuselage internals.

That comes from having torn both aerials off a Frsky RX when the fuselage sides, to which they were taped, parted company in a crash in which damage was limited to the entire fuselage.

Should have added in my previous post that it was not the absolute distances that I was drawing attention to but the comparative distances obtained between the rx tested. IMHO not that great between 'near top of range' to 'park fly'. Of course in model flying use signal path diversity will play its part and those with satalite units will show an advantage.