Decisions - Blaze or Blizzard?

matt mason

Advert

while you are all trying to outdo each other by posting who's got the biggest/hottest/fastest etc........on my original pedigree blizzard...with the superior performance..what we do is on the under wing tip's apply some rienforced tape to conteract the reported 'flutter' and also to give the 'racing' airfoil some extra strength...being the flying equivelant to a fine bred race horse...i could go on forever...hope this is some assistance to young asher's and the lad's with the knives out for him..poor chap.........     ' sssss....

ken anderson...ne...1...wont be at the nat's...but one of my deputy's(enrico) will...

Posted by ken anderson. on 25/08/2010 18:51:23:
while you are all trying to outdo each other by posting who's got the biggest/hottest/fastest etc........

Nothing could be further from the truth, and  having had 2 Blizzards (one power, one slope) I can confidently say  ''you're welcome to it!''.

BTW, The Blaze and Blizzard can't really be compared as they are two quite different models.

Just in case the link didn't work in my previous post here's a pic of the Blizzard's spinner on the Blaze. It's worth noting that MPX offer two sizes of motor shaft adapter so be sure to choose the correct one (4mm), and also that the alloy hex driver will need shaving down to enable the spinner to sit close to the fuselage.

Hi,
i'm new to this site, so welcome everyone,
i am thinking of taking up gliding and have never flown before, now i have been tinkering with getting the Blaze due to looks, ease of build and price,
i have just  bought a futabe 6ex.
I live in cornwall and am thinking of getting some air time in with someone from a club nr St Austell. It seems pointless buying the kit only to smash it up on the first flight..

Thats the rambling over with, now all i want to know is, .... Is it any good for a novice.

Many thanks.

Hi Ken and Gumball, 
i looked at the GRAUPNER but was not keen on the looks, but its cheaper and can get 2 for the price of one.
The other facter i am thinking of is if i am going to be trained i will need something that will have a bit of staying power especially if i will be using a buddy system, or get 2 batteries for a quick swap over or find the biggest one that will fit the blaze,

The other option is to learn with powered flight and i have been quoted around £40 per hour for training with this, hopefully i should then have the confidence to use the blaze solo.

hope it does'nt take too many hours

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

Just a thought on the ESC - mine was very hot after a flight and I had a spare 30 amp ESC with Ubec from an old Helicopter (crashed and burned ) and  decided to fit it to improve cooling.

Two things of note - servos are slightly faster and the elevator certainly has more pull from a dive.  Second there seems to be a bit more oomph from the motor - same battery - but that could be me, must get out watty (the watt meter) and find out.

But has got me wondering if some ESCs will give you more power than others or is it just the fact that the ESC isn't heating up as much and can get on with the main job ??

Is that a question for Timbo ?? 

Barry, if you cannot get any free help, I would suggest that you buy an Easy Glider, which is on offer at some outlets, follow the instructions, do some research, get insured and teach yourself to fly.

The main reason for saying this is that an EG will fly slowly and give you time to work out the control inputs.
Leave the Blizzard/Blaze until later. IF you are being charged £40 an hour for instruction, it could save you £100's even if you write off a couple of Easy Gliders.

Thanks Richard

I have found someone willing to teach locally for free.

I am stuck on one last item before launch, and that is I can’t get the motor to run

I have a Futaba 6ex, all batteries fully charged, rx outlander 2200

All servos working, but when you push the throttle forward nothing happens.

Motor connected to ch 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/10/2010 19:51:09:
Got down the patch after work and had 3 great flight with the Blaze, seems the more you fly it so the better it gets, coped well hanging off 15mph+ blow - fine aeroplane.

I totally agree David, and after suffering a catastrophic mid-air recently I've got another one on it's way as a replacement. This time I've gone for the glider only version as the original motor, prop, spinner and ESC survived OK. The thing is that even though the Blaze is neither a true Hotliner or a pure thermal soarer, it's just one of those planes I'll always have in my hangar as it's a good all rounder. I'll trim the wing and tail tips back again (as on my original) to avoid the inevitable hangar rash because IMHO  they are a bit too fragile as supplied.

• 2 months later...
You may have seen my other thread on th Blaze, but as this one is Blaze or Blizzard, I thought I'd share my findings today from the strip. I've just got my stock Blaze and flown it several days running using 4 packs each day and today I flew with alongside a Blizzard and although the Blizzard was faster in a dive (it weighed heavier so it would) in a straight line and hooting about suprisingly for a stock setup there was not much difference and we had great fun in following each other.

A bit early for me to say in my 4 day ownership of a Blaze but compared to the prices of each so far it wins easily ! I am liking it !

• 6 years later...

I used to have a Blizzard ages ago to fly on the slopes. I was inexperience and kept stalling it in slow speed turns. I fly both powered and slope now. I'm thinking of getting another Blizzard. I have the tuning set motor in a box and controller in another model. I'm unsure about getting another Blizzard kit (£90) or a Blaze or the modern new Max Thrust Lightning ? The new plane would fly at the powered club and do some slope soaring as well . Any thoughts ?

Still got my blaze flying on a regular basis and still enjoying it as a first choice grab and go model.

My question remains as for the blizzard for a slight dive performance gain and £100 plus or more,  is it worth it over the £100 rtf blaze? Dont know much about the lightning I may have been tempted to get one as my blaze is looking a bit worn now but from a quick google, again is it worth it for an extra £50, might as well get another blaze once this one dies after 7 yrs use and abuse!

A quick calculation on my use and abuse of my Blaze, on average it's flown twice a month 3 times each session = 6 flights a month x 6.5 yrs = 468 flights give or take, some which last 30 mins if I take my chair along else it's bombing around for 10 mins!

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 04/09/2017 11:43:40

I got a Lightning earlier this year as a practice machine prior to moving up from Wot4 foamie level to heavier planes.

Now first plane in the car whatever the weather. Flown by a number of club mates who like standard tail over Blaze V.

2 club mates bought after flying. Fast flying aeros and soaring possible off flat field site. Minimum 15 minute flights on Overlander 3S 2200. Fits easily into fuz, just don't go for high rates on first flight unless experienced.

Not sure where you are getting prices, two of three places quickly checked Lightning £120, Blaze £115-130!

Will buy another if and when!