Chuffed with new toy!

Dusty

Advert

Hi Eric,

Its a Yak 55 so the wing is tapered, no fancy camera work! Look carefully at the top wing facing the sky in the bottom pic!

Stephen, thanks mate! Its a new flight-model Yak 55 (see link)

Specs:-

Span - 86.6in/2200mm

Wing area - 94sq.dm

Length - 85.5in/2172mm

AUW - 7300 - 7700g

Yes flying it with a DLE 55 petrol engine, I have seen one converted to 10s electric and flies well indeed but I wanted to have a smoke system etc so lipos are abit expensive to have smoke with lol!

It looks intimidating but flies like a homesick angel, very smooth and precise in the aeros, will see how 3d goes when everything is fine tuned.  The price is very very reasonable for this size of model so dont think you cant own one too! Around 350 euros so... cant argue, usual ARTF needs some work here and there but nothing extreme! All I had to do was go over the glue joints and glass the firewall! DLE 55 = one powerfull engine!

Edited By Dusty on 14/08/2010 17:45:04

Hey Chris,

Been wondering where you have been hiding? She knife edges fine with not much rudder needed, I will probably mix some elevator in via switch for the pattern stuff, flying conditions have not been ideal so hard to decide if its the model or wind! Very crisp. forgiving with the nice thick mid wing section. I will update you Sunday after I burn some more gas, its so tempting to just rip but gotto be gentle to the smelly thing propelling it for a few flights

nice dusty!!! Stephen all models of this type have quirks lean too hard on the elevator at a slow speed and they will snap on you, ETC. but they have to do this otherwise they would not be able to perform the aeros that we want them to do, but considering the aeros they can do they are a very stable and forgiving aircraft relatively !!!

Ah, the control surfaces where not in thier nuetral position hence the problem Eric! Yes it can fly extremely slow and not drop a wing! I flew in stron wind the other day to practise for a aerobat compo next month and it handles strong wind fine making me happy that I was the only guy flying as the other wimped out! So bigger and heavier models are the way forward I think!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi TD, thanks!

Its a tight fit into a Mondeo Estate, good thing the tail plane is removable lol! At the moment she has about 30 or so flights, easy to fly I must say. The only problems I was having is with noise. To date I settled on a Beila 23x8 glass prop and was thinking about trying a 20x12 3 blade some time. Oh well I cant play with it for a while until the weather pics up.