Seagull sea fury

Phil  Claridge

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Whilst waiting for some glue to dry this evening I removed the 2 stroke and found the 4 stroke will not fit thengine mount.I retrieved the other fuselage and before removing the mount from the second fuzz given to me compared them.The second fuselage is in excellant condition and Im giving myself 24 hours to decide which fuz to d which engine.Im leaning towards 4 stroke and second fuz which is in original condition.

Congratulations on getting out of uniform Shaun,do you have plans for your future?Was going to start fitting the cowl but it needs the holes cut in it tidying first and needs some additional ones.Although its already been fitted to this fuselage Im not happy with the position  it was originally fitted,so Ive just checked on Danny"s post on fitting it so I can get it right.The engine is in the right position now so that"s fine.I didnt continue for a simple reason.The 4 stroke is fitted inverted,and I wasnt  sure of the direction the crank breather should go ,up or in a U down.But Ive just thought my vintage low winger has an inverted 4str in it and the breather is fitted down so its a U bend,wish Id though of that 3 hours ago.

re reading a couple of things I see your off to Spain Shaun,and theyve just banned model flying in Spain,I want to fit the cowl the way Danny  suggested because its right sensible and correct.The way my mate has don it  is all wrong,and he is my  expert,bit worrying.But as another club member said ,brilliant flyer but cant build even an ARTF.

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 19/09/2010 23:58:25

Stephen,
              I was quite interested to read through this thread because I occasionally punt one of these around for a club mate and this one has a 1.20 FS in it. For me personally even this is not really quite man enough and I would like to try one with a 1.80 FS. I’m not sure what propeller he has on it, I have very little to do with tuning the engine etc., I just fly it. Maybe we could get a little more zip with a coarser pitch prop. He has had a little dabble himself but in one instance whilst pussyfooting around trying to land he stopped the engine, and then shortly after the model, which soon took exception to this and decided to fall over; you don’t take liberties with this baby! He rebuilt it, however, a really nice job, you cannot see any of the joins and it almost seems to fly even better!
   I just like to think that these models need enough puff to be able to really leg it down the flight-line say, and pull up a few hundred feet into a big wingover, and also do the effortless wide open manoeuvres that the big powerful warbirds can do.
   I do have it on very good authority that the full size was definitely not lacking in the urge department, and the pilots would have inevitably been trying to make them go as fast as possible.

Good Luck with your model!                      PB

Hi Peter you  well may be right,I will not fly the model until my"expert ".has flown it and passes it.Now,it is possible he had an ulterior motive for passing the engine on to me so we will have to see.I sawwhatcan happen to an underpowered model at the weekend and woulnt want that to happen.By the sound of it they dont like to glide or was he to low already.Im training myself for the day when Ican carry out the manouvres you mention.I also appreciatethat a tuned engine is so important and yet I constantly watch older  clubmembers flying models with engines struggling to get on song but never able to make it and the same people constantly having one deadstick after another.Thanks for your in sight .Worked late tonight,so only gathered the bits together Ineed to carry on when I can.

Yes Chris the thing about  Electric motors is they always stay in tune, once the ESC is programmed and you cant fiddle with them and mess the power output up.The problem I have is there was a superb electric warbird at the field Saturday.I can describe it and you experts will know what it is.The engine was mounted behind the pilot and the spinner had a hole at the front because the plane had a big cannon mounted at the front shooting through the spinner.It flew beautifully ,but silently,the silence wasnt golden

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 20/09/2010The engine was mounted behind the pilot and the spinner had a hole at the front because the plane had a big cannon mounted at the front shooting through the spinner.It flew beautifully ,but silently,the silence wasnt golden

Hi Stephen, the aircraft you describe sounds as if it was a model of the P39 Aircobra,a tricycle undercarriaged WW11 fighter,used extensively in the Pacific theatre,and supplied  to and used in great numbers by the Russian Air Force....Mal.

• 4 weeks later...
I managed to get  the Sea Fury back on the table this evening ready to fit the cowl.I carefully made card to put on the fuselage to show where the mounting holes should be.They all soon fell off because although I had thoroughly cleaned the fuselage there is still some fuel residue on the fuselage stopping the masking tape gluing and staying.Ill have to find a better solvent,to clean it up.

• 1 month later...
Well chaps for on reasson or another its been a while.With the recent snowy weather Ive at last managed to sort out a back log,repair a few models move a bit of furniture,sell some engines no longer needed,move some furniture to give more storage,tidy the work bench ( dining table) put the Sea Fury wing on to give myself a better working environment to fit the cowl at last.I just wasnt happy with the way I was trying to do it,but Im a lot happier now.So ,Ive fitted more cowl mounts replacing a couple of broken ones , and the masking tape seems to want to stay in place .Im all ready to have a go tomorrow evening

• 1 year later...