Peter Miller's Vans RV3

Erfolg

Hi Peter
I really would like to build your RV-3 and have obtained the plan and artical in the RCME mag. One thing thats not to clear to me on the plan is the shaping of the underside of the wing tips. I,m assuming that across the chord i take a straight line from the under side of the last rib to the meet the wing tip profile outline. Thanks for any help.

Edited By Brian Tustin on 22/04/2011 23:21:31

• 2 months later...
HI,
Its taking me a long time and quite a few mistakes but Im getting there, for a first time build Im quite happy, could do with better covering though, no need to hurry the flying field here in Auckland has been closed for many weeks now because od bad weather.
Ive learned a lot from this so I will certainly be having another go at building from plans.
Cheers Eric

• 3 months later...
I realise it's been sometime since the last posting, but I've only just found this site. Here's a couple of photos of my RV that was started soon after the plan's were published (I only wish I could build as quickly/efficiently as some of the earlier contributors). The plane looks a bit different from the Pete Miller version - mine is intended to be an RV4. Wingspan is increased by about 15% over the RV3 and fuselage lengthened by a similar percentage, but under the skin it's just the same as the RCME plan. Finished weight is 6lb 2oz so wing loading will be a bit less than Peter's version. First flight still awaited.

Very impressive. The RV series do make adapting them to other variants relatively simple.

I liked the RV 3 and espcially the only RV with an open cockpit bewcause I didn't have to find a canopy but that was just my choice.

I suspect that the RV4 with its longer fuselage and extra area should be even nicer to fly than mine and mine is great.

Keep us all posted.

I recently read a book about a solo flight round the world in an RV6. Now that was really fascinating.

Peter, thanks for the words of encouragement. I wanted to do an RV4 because a friend in France has been building the full size version in his garage for the last 5 or 6 years. It's my attempt to shame him into finishing it before the oil runs out and he has to do an electric conversion. As an aside, he currently flies a Brugger Colibri which is why I'm now such a fan of your model designs - I saw your plans in the back catalogue and made replica of it. I've not yet been able to get a picture to upload but I'll keep trying.

Erflog, the motor is a relatively inexpensive Emax BL2826/06 from Giant Cod, with a 5amp switch mode UBEC from the same source. I'm initially going to try a 5000mAH 4S Lipo with 12 X 6 and 13 X 7 props , hoping for about 550 watts. If that power isn't achieved (or more likely if I start to worry about the current drain) I might change to a 5S/4000mAH.

Tim, the front seater is currently the briefing room brushing up on his Pilot's Notes, but rest assured his upper torso/head will be on board for the 1st flight.

rgds Trevor Wood

Ah yes. The Colibri. That was in another magazine a long time ago. Your model looks great.

Question, When flown solo dose the pilot use the front or rear seat on the RV4?

You won't get your friend to rush, Homebuilts take a long time.

The owner of a field that our club used to fly from before we rented our own was an ace homebuilder. He spent at least 7 years on he Steen Skybolt. Then he did a total rebuild on a Piper Trypacer and converted it to a Pacer.

Then he designed and built his own two seat, fully aerobatic biplane that received rave reviews from the test pilot.

And now he has just finished his Colomban Luciole whihc he was building as the test aircraft to get LAA approval.

I did the RCM&E plan from his 3-views.

All this has take some 30 odd years!

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/10/2011 08:27:59

The RV is flown from the front seat. There's only a limited panel and no brake/flap controls in the back. Unlike the magnificent Biplane and Lucilole above, my friends homebuild is currently at the 90% complete, 90% still to do stage:-

The photo was taken last year during the first trial fit of the wings.

• 7 months later...

Trevor, has your RV4 flown yet? For your info my RV3 has now had 150 flights using a Thumper 4250, 600 kv motor ( it was spare at the time of installation). It flies both on 3 & 4 cells, on 3 the prop is 14x10 and on 4 cells it is 14x7. Flight times are 10 minutes on 2300 x 4cell but I like to fly low and slow.

• 4 years later...

Hi Peter,

I'm in the process of building your RV3 model (I've taken almost 18 months on and off to date and now have the fuselage and wings built.

I'm resurrecting this thread to raise what is probably a very basic question about the flap throw. The plan states that the flap "up" is 20% & 40%. Does this mean that flaps turn up by these percentages ie like airbrakes or am I missing the point? Sorry if this is an idiot question, but this is my first model with flaps and I've never come across 'up' flaps before. Also, are these percentages intended to be a single flap setting or just a maximum with a normal progression of intermediate settings.

I will be extremely happy if my model looks anywhere good as all the others shown.

Barrie

• 8 months later...

I have just had a very sad email from Emi Wilkie.

On the 17th of June Gene Wilkie was test flying his RV3 after a rebuild when one wing came off in flight and the aircraft crashed. Gene died instantly.

Gene was so delighted that I had built a model of his aircraft. He flew other aircraft and sent me pictures of the Bellanca that he flew from time to time.

All of you who still fly the model. Just give a thought the Gene when flying it.