4 stroke

David the flyer

Hi, i have a Laser 70/75 (not sure) 4 stroke, and when i start it up the engine raws away to high and if i try to throttle up the engine cuts out,  i have to leave the glow plug statrter on, restart the engine and that some times works, by bringing the revs down to what they should be on tick over and when i throttle up it runs normal? and clues to why this happens? as it does take a few restarts to get it running nice? thanks Dave

Advert

Can you get at the carb to prime it? Sometimes 4-strokes take a little while to establish a solid fuel flow to the engine. By priming you help them along the road as it were!

I have one which is a pig to start first time - I really have to whizz it over on the electric starter for a good 10secs without the glow stick on just to "get the juices flowing". Then apply the glow starter and it usually starts next burst from the starter. Once it has done a run - if I want to start it again a few mins later - even though its gone cool it will start by just flicking the spinner backwards against the compression - that easy. But if I leave it say an hour - by which time the fuel will have flowed back along the fuel line into the tank -  then try to restart it its back to square one!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 12/10/2010 14:34:19

Yes definitely....4 strokes have more metal mass than 2 strokes & only fire half as often so they take a while to warm up.....fire it up & run at a fast idle for  30 secs to a minute before removing the glow starter.....then let it warm up for another minute at about 1/4 -1/3 throttle.....

Then see how it throttles....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 12/10/2010 16:43:13:
Sounds odd, BEB, in my experience 4 strokes draw fuel up much better than 2 strokes.....!!

Yeah, but you know how it is - I've decided engines are like women - they all look the supericially the same on the outside but get down to details and they're all different! This engine likes that treatment - and if I follow that strarting procedure, no problem. But if I depart from the script I can easily spend the next 10 mins trying to get her to fire up for the first time, or after an extended break.

BEB