Easyglider - is it?

Huggy

Wasn't figuring on buying anything ARTF just now - just started converting one of my stock of free flight models to lekky power & rc - but couldn't resist the Sussex Model Centre's deal on Multiplex Easy Gilders at £39.99. I presume it's being phased out or something, but know a lot of you have one.  So, as I'm still learning radio flying, is this something I put aside til next summer, when I'll hopefully have a lot more "stick time" in, or is it really pretty easy?  Any tips greatfully received at this time.

Advert

Thanks guys.  SMC have been very quick, and the box is already sitting in the hall.  I think a leisurely approach to getting it kitted out with the radio etc will probably be best, but I bet I won't be able to resist it sooner rather than later.  My days out with HZ Super Cub and V-tail foamie have been a bit limited by windy conditions last week or so - a pain as I had this week off - but I've been getting on OK with those, so I should be ready to try something with ailerons by the time spring comes around.
    The FF model in question is about the same size as the Cub, so shouldn't be too bad. In any case, it's quite a tough old bird the Bugaboo and has served its time well, including leaving bits of itself in the trees at Old Warden etc, so if can make  it a rudder / motor only job it can be flown a bit more often at our club field.

I recently bought my second easy glider (my first lives in the Czech Republic) from SMC as they had it for such a good price and I wanted one to fly here in the UK. I found the basic easyglider very under powered so i did a brushless upgrade as follows.

I created a motor mount using 1" 1/2 plastic waste pipe and turned up a bulkhead using ply. This was then epoxied to the pipe.

I then opened out the nose using 400 - 800 wet and dry paper glued to an approx 20mm tube to give me a sort of round file.

The nose in now nearly opened up enough to take the motor mount.

The mount is being dry fitted here. Although the nose getts a bit flimsy as you take out the material, when the mount is fitted and glued it really is very strong. 

The motor now installed and the mount glued in place using Multiplex Zlaki glue.

The spinner fitted.

The parts used were all from BRC as listed here.

BRC A2217-9T 950Kv (220W) Brushless Outrunner Motor. brc512
Item Number 512

Folding Prop Spinner Assembly - Multiplex 39mm Hub/Adaptor for 4mm Motor Shaft (Blizzard) (733501). brc371
Item Number 371

Folding Prop Blades - 10 x 6 (8mm root). brc967
Item Number 967

This set up has really improved the performance of the glider.

Hope this helps.