Servo Choice for Fun-Fly

Hi All,

Am building a Weston Cougar 2000 and am trying to decide what servos to buy. The manual recommends Hitec kit for control surfaces as follows:

Elevator/Ailerons HS 625MG (3x ~£25)
Rudder HS645MG (1x ~£25)

This is around ~£100 of servos not including throttle control. Can anyone recommend cheaper servos that I could use that will still be sufficient?

Thanks,

Advert

Beware of using tiny servos.  A friend of mine had a Cougar with these fitted and he was a bit timid and content to just trundle round the sky doing gentle circuits.  But then he handed the thing to me to "see what it could do".  I didn't know he had got tiddly servos --- and I stripped the gears in every one of them in five seconds flat. 

My own Cougar has been flying for the last 9 years without problems.
It is fitted with a mini servo on the throttle, but it has got standard Futaba 3001s on the ailerons and rudder.  The elevator is moved by a standard size digital jobby, and the response is definitely sharper to stick inputs than with a "normal" servo. 
All driven by a 6 volt battery pack.

If you're planning on pushing a Cougar to its limits, for gawd sake don't use cheap, substandard servos.

B.C.

As everyone has said above Futaba 3001's will be fine, you dont want to be putting that much money into a fun fly unless your going into competetions in which case you may want digitals.
I have a Frantic with a built up wing and this gets hammered around on these servo's quite happily, I always used to over spec my models but for the size of the model there really is no need.
If anything I would put higher spec ones in for the rudder and elevator and thats it, these parts will see the most weight for the type of flying you will be doing.

I still want a Cougar myself, but with current projects its on the back burner, plus I think ill go with the Fusion first (the new one), love fun fly's.

All the best with it.

You will need good servos for the ailerons, they are big and the flight loads will be high. At first I used JR517's but the ailerons would hunt on defelction, what I mean here is they would overshoot their stop point and then return to desired position.

For the last 8 years I've used :

Ailerons:HiTec HS645MG
Elevator: SuperTec S03/2BB
Rudder: Futaba S9001
Throtle: SuperTec S03

Hope this helps.

A

Edited By Andy Green on 04/11/2010 10:17:07