Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

Posted by keith hunt 8 on 31/10/2014 12:35:12:

... due to my pointing the aerial at the plane and it locking out, I can't comment on longevity.

Was this proven? I'd be very worried if any radio of mine behaved that way!

Were you very low at the time?

What radio was this? When I did some tests with a 2.4 GHz system I wasn't able to lose control at long range (and high) even pointing the aerial deliberately at the model.

Advert

Note that this is a YAK 54 thread not a receiver thread cool

Orange DSM2 6ch and I had my aerial straight at it. I've done various flights on various receivers in all sorts of orientations. I can tell you that these receivers in this condition can lock out. This takes a couple of seconds to recover. The YAK was in a dive and too low when it happened.

I have a few of these Orange RX, including 4ch DSM2, 6ch DSM2, 9ch DSM2, 8ch DSMX and 6ch DSMX. The 6ch DSM2 are good and only lose signal under the worst arrangement / conditions. This happened on the YAK and I can repeat on other models occasionally. I therefore only the use the 6ch DSM2 in smalll stuff now, knowing their limitations.

9ch DSM2 are very variable (brilliant to rubbish) and I won't buy any more. The 2.6M glider currently using this has never had a problem at the very edge of my vision. Another I have will lock out at a few metres during range test face 7

6ch and 8ch DSMX seem to be bullet proof and I have had no issues with those (or Spektrum 8 channel) smile d

I fly around 30 planes ranging from 60cc to .33cc and 6 glow and electric helis outdoors. Plus maybe 20 others indoors.

Posted by keith hunt 8 on 31/10/2014 12:35:12:

Re DLE20 - Super engine and bags of power in this airframe. Unlimited vertical and take-off in about 10ft. The AGM30 much larger and IMHO is far too heavy for this little Yak.

Being a bit of a 4 stroke enthusiast what do the assembled panel think of a 1.20 4 stroke in one of these? I tend to think of a petrol 2 stroke being about the equivalent of a glow 4 stroke so would a 20cc glow 4 stroke offer similar/equivalent performance to a 20cc petrol 2 stroke do we think? Certainly I would be looking for impressive vertical performance & I wonder if a 1.20 might be lacking in that department....dont know

Posted by Martin Harris on 14/07/2013 23:30:09:in a related thread

I (almost) agree with Karl's assessment - the only way mine differs is that I haven't found the stall to hold any terrors. The only nasty moment I've had was when attempting a "silly" knife edge approach from a great height when it suddenly flicked over the top into a spin but this was far from its normal stall behaviour in level flight.

Doh! Confession time...

Overconfidence and complacency plus an unwillingness to learn from experience is not a great recipe for success!

Last Saturday I was enjoying my Yak and decided to finish with a knife edge approach from the edge of the stratosphere...

All went well until I levelled out at 20 feet or so, the nose pitched up (possibly due to a gust in the stiff breeze) and it flicked, I caught the wing drop, overcontrolled, flicked the other way and although I picked up the wing again it dropped the last few feet fully stalled, wings level, obliterating the firewall formers and undercarriage mounting area as well as punching holes through both wings with the U/C.

But as Lee Smalley pointed out in the original thread, this type of model is designed to flick positively and it's never given a moment's worry during a "normal" approach.

Back properly on topic, I can but only recommend this model highly as it flies very accurately, smoothly and with excellent agility - as well as looking and feeling much bigger than it is in reality. I started off with a 180 FS, replaced it with a 120 due to noise concerns and went back to the 180 some weeks ago.

It was (and hopefully will be again) a great performer on a very over-propped 180 but quite adequate on a slightly over-propped 120 which gave good vertical but a marginal prop hang - if your site allows the 120 to give its best Steve, then I'd say a 120 will give excellent performance.

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/11/2014 23:47:43

Thanks Martin.....I'm no hot doggin' 3D expert so not really interested in prop hanging (in other words I can't prop hang....embarrassed) but I would expect a model like this to keep going when I pointed the nose towards the heavens.

I had wondered about a 180 4 stroke up front but it seems an awful lot of engine in a 63" airframe to me. Certainly no problem at our field with an on song 120 so this might be the way forward.....

i had a ST2000 in mine and it was good, just about able to pull out of the hover, 120 fourstroke would i fear be found a little wanting, and yep as i said near the start, it is a YAK 54 and it is designed to be flicky, the fact she is so well behaved is a credit to seagull, but it really does make me dismay when i see people pulling like hell on the elevator even at speed and then being surprised she flick rolls on them...doh......... great model, loved a flew mine for 3 years, and treated her disgracefully, never once let me down.....brilliant

Posted by Lee Smalley on 03/11/2014 16:27:18:

but it really does make me dismay when i see people pulling like hell on the elevator even at speed and then being surprised she flick rolls on them...doh.........

You make an important point very well Lee. That is why I always chip in when people start saying that "it stalled because it was flying too slowly" or worse "It can't have been a stall - I was flying well above the stall speed".

We have to understand the fact; aeroplanes don't stall because they are going to slowly, they stall because the maximum angle of attack has been exceeded and that can happen at any speed - yes even flat out!

The control that stalls models is the elevator - not the throttle!

BEB

Been there got the tee-shirt.....my little Yak met its maker after pulling out too enthusiastically from a stall turn....she flicked & dived & flicked again...Game Over....crying 2

You certainly need to treat the elevator with respect on an scale-ish aerobat....when they bite they bite hard.....

But you put your finger on my Yak Dilemma Lee......will a 120 4 stroke "cut the mustard" in the verticals...thats the $64,000 question....

A big glow two stroke is an option too Lee as you say but I do like a nice 4 stroke....wink 2

The amount of fuel a big glow stroker would get through is a worry too so if went for a two stroke then the DLE makes more sense (although the gap in price between a 20cc glow motor & a 20cc petrol would pay for a lot of fuel.....

• 1 month later...
First start of DLE20 with pitts muffler, and Menz-S 16x8. Nearly ready for maiden,
but suspect will be waiting till new year for time and weather to sync up.

Mega power from the DLE20, and a fantastic throttle response too, very happy with my choice.

Edited By John Allen on 16/12/2014 19:27:24