Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

Got some more done today. As i said, i am planning on really taking my time on this plane, so here is the latest work completed:

Elevator/Rudder control horn fittings.

Elevator and bag of hardware provided, control horn hole cover removed with knife.

Bottom of horizontal tailplane and elevator. Epoxy apllied in hole and thread lock applied to small nut.

Top surface, very neat.

Rudder control horn was a little trickier but no great issues, just had to make sure there was equal amounts of horn each side. Same technique above applied.

Horizontal tailplane turnbuckle attachment fitted. Cover removed and tightened up. I haven't epoxied or thread locked this as of yet as i will wait until the tailplane is securely in place before doing this.

Finished horizontal tailplane control horns.

More soon hopefully.

Advert

Well i just can't put this little beauty down so i have done more today.
Its going together so nicely with no surprises whatsoever yet, fingers crossed!!!

Aileron control horns fitted using same technique as above, i havent included a picture as i am sure you dont want to see that!

On to the Wing Servo's. So simple compared to others and not having to worry about a hatch.

Servo placed in wing and drill holes marked.

Servo test fitted.

Servo (DS821) fitted. So simply yet so elegant at the same time. You can also see the control horn fitting in this pic.

Now, on to the massive fuselage.

All cover removed as necessary. Switch hole, wing tube hole, wing bolt holes, servo lead holes and canopy bolt hole.

On Lee Smalley's advice, i have coated the canopy connections with Cyano too strengthen them up a little.

Test fit of the canopy, which fits beautifully and looks gorgeous.

And then.....................................i just couldnt resist a practice fit of the wings!!! Why is it so hard to resist putting it all together to see what it looks like!

Cavenous innards!!!!

I am sure there will be more soon as i just can't resist this plane. I said it was going to be slow, but im not so sure now. Ha Ha.

Cheers,

Ross.

Hi all,

Some more progress today for you.

Concentrating on the rear end, i have installed the horizontal tailplane and completed a few other bits and bobs.
On my previous airplanes i have had to be careful to get it completely horizontal due to less than perfect manufacturing but no such problems with this one. The product is top class and perfect first time.

Test fit the tailplane and mark the covering around the fuselage, as this is to be removed.

Remove the covering with a modellers knife.

Note the extra bit of covered balsa which is needed to fill the gap once tailplane is installed.

Covering removed from elevator servo positions and rear end tidied up a little.

I then noticed an extra hole this side of the fuselage at the bottom which does actually have a control snake inside for, but i have scratched my head and can't for the life of me work out what it is for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can always cover it if its not needed i suppose.

Epoxy applied and tailplane fitted and alligned perfectly, straight and level without any need to wedge or adjust!

I have left the wedge for now but whilst the tailplane was drying, i then Cyano' the throttle servo tray into the fuselage.
This is only needed for four stroke engines which i am having.

And whilst i had the bottle open, i apllied Cyano to various other places inside like the Wing bolt holes and wing tube holes etc.. to harden them a little more.

More soon hopefully.

Cheers,

.....and some more.

I must admit, i made a bit of a mistake as after i had glued the tailplane and let it cure, i discovered that some epoxy had squeezed out into the gap where the vertical fin would go!!!!!
I did panic for a bit as i knew the fin wouldn't seat properly but turned out not to be too much of an issue. I just carefully took my time gently picking it away and then sanded it smooth until it was all nicely level and flush again.

I also discovered that the remaining rudder hinge slot on the tail end of the fuselage needed adjusting ever so slightly as the hinge was not locating properly. A scalpel sorted this out.

Same procedure as horizontal tailplane used.
Test fitted, location marked, covering removed, epoxied in place.

For some reason it suddenly dawned on me how big that rudder is!!!!!!
.....and believe it or not, the fin is not see through!!!!

Perfectly straight, measured from fin top to horizontal tailplane edge.

After some advice, i will be purchasing a Metal Geared servo for the rudder.

Cheers all.

Agreed David, simple but very effective, neat and tidy.

Lee, i was shocked to see how much they were really, so i didn't break the bank and went for a Spektrum A6020 Standard Digital Aircraft Servo, metal geared.
10.5kg/cm at 6.0v for £25. Hope it will be ok but i didnt really fancy paying £50 upwards for one servo!!  

A little more done today, bit by bit it is changing taking shape.
I also didn't realise how poor the iPhone pics are so i have reverted back to my trusty hand-held point and shoot.

Only a little completed today as i said i would take it easy on the build.

Elevator servo's (DS821) installed.

Servo lined up and guide holes marked. 1.5mm holes drilled.

Servo's in place, extension leads guided through. Very snug fit horizontally.

Tail in all its glory.

So i don't have to take the canopy off too charge, i purchased a switch which has an external charging point.
I decided i wanted something a bit chunkier than the normal switch so went for a heavy duty version. It even has a nice little cover on the external charge point which has a tab that can open and close it.

Original switch hole opened up.

Switch installed and screwed up.

Taking shape nicely.

Cheers,

Just read your post that you put on the extension thread by accident Stephen.

I will not be flying this model until i am 99% confident enough that i can fly it properly and hopefully keep it in one piece for a while!
It is a long term project so that it will be ready for when i am ready!!!

Nothings out of your reach Stephen. We just need to keep practicing. 

......and once again, a small amount done again today.

Rudder and throttle servo's installed.
Spektrum A6020 metal geared rudder servo.
Spektrum A6000 standard digital throttle servo.

Both servo trays needed a tiny amount of wood removing as they are slightly bigger than the snug DS821's.

Next, installation of the horizontal fin struts/turnbuckles.

70mm mark marked out for securing plate of struts/turnbuckles.

Holes marked.

Securing plate screwed to fuselage.

Turnbuckle bolts epoxied in and nut thread locked at this point when happy with location.
Struts/turnbuckles exactly 180mm and connected to horizontal fin and securing plate.

Should get tail wheel fitted tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ross.   

You've done a nice job of putting it together Ross.  I keep looking at the rather large box I have sitting in the corner of the living room thinking, hmmm hes right - you is a good looker.  But alas, muggings here is at work 7 nights a week till at least Jan 2011.

I'tll be my spring/summer build/assembly I fear.  Though with 'Petrol' up front.  Any ideas cc wise.  26cc - 30cc (ish) perhaps.

BB