Engine repair

Chris  Channon

Advert

Posted by Chris Channon on 02/11/2010 18:08:45:
Hi Steve, go down to the bottom of the page and look at "shop"

It is expensive ( £22.00 ) for five rods BUT a single rod goes a VERY long way, much like silver solder.

Regards
Chris.

OK, I just stopped reading when I saw phone for prices.

Thanks

Is this fundamentally any different to "techno-weld" which has been available for donkeys years? I have used techno weld on several occasions, and have to say the demo video here looked remarkably similar. Clean the work thoroughly with stainless steel brush, apply heat, then the rod, and stir the "puddle" with the stainless steel scribe - bring the other piece into position, keep the heat on, and wait for the lot to "flow" just like soldering really.

Well I am very impressed .  You don't get something good for nothing -There's no such thing as a free lunch & so on and so forth .If you're prepared to get someone else to pay to fix your welding problem ,I suggest you first ask how much per hour / cost of overheads / travelling expenses /etc  Then do a comparative- evaluation of the cost of your rods
Grumpy DIY Myron

Timbo
One minute after your posting I was .
Have you used "techno weld" and if it's been around so long -Why isn't everyone using it by now . What I'm saying is that a new mixture/alloy of I think nine metals might be a result of new technology that might catch on. I must admit ,I'm impressed by the video & other info

Sounds like alutite, dura-fix techno-weld and this are all similar,  all very good but a word of warning I wouldn't try it on your invaluble antique engine whilst this stuff is supposed to have a lower melting point than engine castings the answer is not always, there are some horror stories.  Having said that I've seen very good demonstrations at model engineering fairs and even I've filled holes up in alloy my self.  My advice would be at least practice first  and as Myron says it is actually quite resonable.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 02/11/2010 18:35:46:
Is this fundamentally any different to "techno-weld" which has been available for donkeys years? I have used techno weld on several occasions, and have to say the demo video here looked remarkably similar. Clean the work thoroughly with stainless steel brush, apply heat, then the rod, and stir the "puddle" with the stainless steel scribe - bring the other piece into position, keep the heat on, and wait for the lot to "flow" just like soldering really.
 Hi Timbo, yep very different from techno-weld. Techno-weld, as good as it is only sits on the surface of the metal and you rely on a good clean parent metal for the join , with this stuff you open the surface of the ally with heat so the pores are open and then this stuff is designed to run into the open pores of the ally then as it cools it traps the weld in the metal, not knocking techo-weld, used it for years but it does just " sit " on the surface of the metal, as Timbo says " just like soldering " this stuff forms part of the base, parent metal.

Again, just to make people aware, i have no financial interest in this product just a very satisfied customer.

regards

Chris.