Le Fish from Leading Edge Gliders USA

phil tobin

I thought I'd have a go at a build log with my new ship from the states, I don't think this plane "Le Fish" from Leading Edge Gliders is all that well known in this country so why not!
It's a aerobatic glider that is capable of 4 axis flying & takes advantage of the latest in radio mixing. This model is made of EPP foam & some balsa bits & is only my third model so it should be interesting & provide me with some challenges (being a novice builder & flyer) along the way.
Here are the stats;
  • Wingspan - 66"
  • Airfoils
    • SB96V (root)
    • SB96VS (tip)
  • Weight - 34-37 oz.
  • Wing Area - 520 sq.in.
  • Wingloading - 10-11 oz./sq.ft.
  • Number of Channels - 4
    • Flaperon (x2)
    • Rudder
    • Elevator

Recommended Radio Gear:

• Transmitter:
    • Flaperon mixing
    • Snapflap mixing
    • Dual rates
    • Exponential
    • Optional: Self-centering throttle stick for 4 axis flying
  • Servos:
    • Flaperons: 2 x Hitec HS-85MG or equivalent
    • Rudder & Elevator: 2 x standard sized servo
  • Receiver: Standard sized
  • Battery Pack: 6V (5 cell) AA-size NiMH flat pack (approx. 5-6 oz. total weight)
This model cost me £95 with delivery from the states, down side was that I had to wait two months for it as they are hand built to order & popular over the pond. Ok that's the tale of the tape so lets crack on with some pics.

This is what you get in the box, lots of foam, carbon & a bit of balsa. Look close & you'll see I've closed out the fuz with contact adhesive.

Next up was to glue the two halves together with a hot glue gun for a temporary hold while I start sanding. Not too much or you may find it's not so temporary

Getting rounder! I did this sanding with some sanding mesh that's used for sanding plasterboard & finishing drywall. The finishing will be done with a 220 grit to buff. Ignore the black line, that was done to show where the canopy might be.

While I was thinking about it I made some templates of the tail as these are made of balsa & in the event of an "arrival" they may get damaged.

Advert

doh!

Edited By r6Dan on 18/11/2010 14:13:46

Posted by r6Dan on 18/11/2010 14:09:39:
I am,have just order one about 10 mins ago,but  you can never have too many toys
The leader of the Hill top posse has the LEG guppy  and it is fantastic,he seems to be able to fly it like it is powered,so you should have great fun with this!
Have you decided on a covering method for it yet? 

Edited By r6Dan on 18/11/2010 14:10:28

For sanding Geoff, for sanding
Actually Phil - Le Fish is very well known here in the UK sloping circles - several of the guys around here have them, I first saw one fly around 4 years ago, and its a nice model.
LEG are certainly well known - I have the 60" Spitfire, and several clubmates have other models from them.
Anyway, back to your BLOG - looking good, keep it coming mate

Posted by r6Dan on 18/11/2010 13:46:04:
I wish I knew I would have orderd one too and gone halfs on the postage!

You will find that he still charges for two separate packages - we tried a bulk order some time back, and there was no advantage.

It's not that well known over here because by the time you get it here it's pretty expensive for what is at the end of the day a foamy. It flies good but benefits from some stiffening of the wings otherwise after some use it ends up flapping like a seagull. A mate has one nearly ready for it's maiden in the Rhyl club 

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/11/2010 14:52:39:
It turns out just like his avatar Dave
If you fancy one, theres an old version floating around the Conwy estuary somewhere ....may need a bit of TLC though

Awwh Shucks Tim, you've spoilt the surprise now!

BEB

I might go looking for that one lost in the Conwy - it will probably have washed up here in Hoylake by now - what sort of engine size would you recemmend? I haven't much experience at slope stuff 

I'm glad to hear the Le Fish swims over here too Tim , I did check but didn't find a blog on it.
I'm a member of ESSA (East Sussex Soaring Association) & as far as I know we don't have any members with one so hopefully I'll be the first.

Ultymate,
                 I don't know how long ago you got your fish (or your mate) but I do know that Jack Cooper of LEG has now stiffend the wings with double carbon spars in each. I'm also going a stage further by laminating the sub TE wood with 3/8th ribbon carbon, all will be revealed in due course. I would also like to hear/see how you (your mate) did the C W taping on the wings (if any).

Dan,
         I have given the covering method loads of thought & am going all californication with this baby, Goop, light weight filler (or spackle as our friends over the pond call it), carbon fuz/wing longerons/spars & then the outer clothes will be Solarfilm. I'm not getting too hung up on AUW like some do because the places I fly are steep & about 100 meters high & windy most of the time so lift is not normally a problem.

hello phil........enrico and i both have the smaller version of your fish......our's are the 'guppy's'...the build is totally different to what we were used to......but the finished model is a really good flyer...........we covered our's in the rienforced tape and then profilm...all up weight of 22oz...we also used m/g servo's...and glad we did as the model's have had a few spill's that would have prob stripped the teeth from ordinary servo's......check out my photo album-there's some photo's in there of mine with no clothes on.......

ken anderson   ne.1.

ps:- we got three in the same box......as the postage for one...as per jack...the leader of LE Glider's.......but we incurred the import tax when they 'landed' in the UK.....

Edited By ken anderson. on 18/11/2010 17:42:48

My friend has I believe gooped the whole thing and then filmed over the top and I think he said he'd stiffened the leading edge of the wing also but I can't remember what method he'd employed 

Hi Ken,

Nice looking plane. I for some reason hate using that cw tape & the finish you get when you've used it but it does impart good strength & after reading other blogs on models built using other methods, it does seem to be one of the best options.

I have a question for you, the tail on your Guppy looks very similar to my fish. I have seen & want to use a strengthening method for the fin, this consists of a strip of hard wood running down the back of the fin & extending down the fuz. This strip is going to be the same width as the fuz (about 1/2") & sanded to the width of the fin (about 3/16"), my question is how hard do you think it will be to hinge my rudder with mylar hinge material or do you think it will have to be taped? I would like to use mylar if poss or I guess the only other option is to scrub round the hard wood idea & use gussetts fin to tail.

phil-all i did with my tail is fitted two small bit's of carbon rod in to it where it sit's on the fuz.......the rudder has a couple of mylar hinges in and the lot was covered in one go...so also hinging and sealing the gap etc....there are some post's on here reguarding the build and we also got some info off other forum's...the CW tape was applied after spraying with some contact adhesive..the tape is put on...in butted joint's--so when the profilm went on - the surface is smooth.........

ken anderson   ne..1. 

phil--i notice your heading......build blog by a complete novice.......fire away with as many question's as you need to.....when i built mine...i hadn't used the cw tape/adhesive/profilm method...i got advice from the forum and friend's(well enrico)...and away i went...

Edited By ken anderson. on 18/11/2010 19:14:06

Found some time to get a bit more done today, here's a look at the gear going to be used.
Note the position of the throttle stick, I've adjusted my t x for 4 axis flying & now have it self-centering.

I managed to get the fuz apart after hot glue & sanding & threw everthing in to get an idea of positioning.

Not totally sure at this point but after a cup of tea & a think I decided to go for it.

No turning back now....

This little pick set came in handy to get the chunks of foam out after following the outline drawn around the gear & cut with the knife. I found cutting lines horizontally & vertically & then scooping them out with the picks a good way forward....

if not a bit messy!  I'm finding this work to be slow going as I want to get the halves of the fuz to meet perfectly.

I made this template out of laminating film (not heated) & traced around stuff then cut it out to use on the other half of the fuz, it works great. Isn't this film what they call new stuff??

To make things a bit more convenient I'm using this switch that has a charge port & voltage warning (red)  LED built in. This system is 6 volt to speed things up a bit, up to 30% faster I've been told? The 5 cell battery will also help with nose weight.
That's it for tonight, I'm off for a beer