Local charity shop

Kelly

Advert

I did not know the radio gear was with it

The Twin star was already built up and I was told the box only had the packaging and stickers in it.

The Tx is mode 1, just need to convert to mode 2 and upgrade the Twin star with a pair of brushless motors .

May well be worth a look this time of year Stephen.

Olly sorry but no, I wil be too busy beating Stephen to the  charity shops .

I bet Stephen will find something for sure Ken

car boot sales are goldmines if you go to enough of them (they are my other hobby) i've bought new engines unopened kits, an unflown ready to fly middle phase with two wings for £3, a65in spit, a 65in sea fury,lazy bee, yam trainer ,phantomand a piper cherokee,twister helicopter even a tatty but flyable acro wot for a quid

chris, i used to go to every bootsale we could find within thirty miles, at one time we knew of one for every day of the week except mondays. i only do a few regular ones these days but still find the odd bargain,at one bootsale i bought a car (cavalier) a khasi (portipotti) and a cooker and spent less than £200. most modelling bargains come from house clearances when the seller do'snt know what the stuff is worth

I had a strange experience at a car boot a few years ago. It was in North Wales, in Mold. I have family there and was just ambling around with them on an afternoon out. I suddenly noticed what looked like an Irvine 53 on one of the stalls!

Now, I don't do car boots (I don't do "shopping" full stop except for model stuff) so I'm a bit green. And I'm clearly not in Stephen's class at the old wheeler-dealing - in fact I'm every secondhand car salesman's dream. If I like something - it shows! Obviously I should have strolled up, all casual like. Picked up 3 or 4 other things first. Then, feigning no interest at all, pick up the Irvine like it was contaminated with some disease, and mutter "How much for - this?"

But, not me. I strode purposefully to the stall, went straight for the engine. picked it up, gave it an examination for tell-tale oil leak signs from the backplate, cylinder head joint, front bearing etc. Checked for burrs on the prop nut (always a sure sign of an abused engine). Turned it over to see if it was gummed up and to try to test the cold compression if it wasn't.

Then. I smiled at the lady standing behind the stall (I must be really naive!) and cheerfully said "How much do you want for the Irvine 53?"

"The what....?"

"The Irv....the engine - how much?"

"Oh, er I'm not sure,...just a minute."

She scuttles round the side or the van like she's seen Lord Lucan, and reappears with what I assume was hubby.

" Well," he says, all swagger, "make me an offer."

Oh dear, I'm not used to this sort of thing, "Oh, well, err, how about errr, £20."

"What!", he says, "for that? No way - look mate if you're not serious let's stop wasting each other's time. Make me a serious offer"

"Err, £25?"

Obviously I wasn't heading nearly fast enough in the right direction. He decided that I should know that he had sussed me:

"The trouble with you London Johnny collectors mate (seriously, that's what he said! - I'm from Merseyside!) is you think we up here were all born yesterday. £250 mate not a penny less."

Nothing I could say to this guy would convince him that I wasn't some sharp dealing collector and that he didn't happen to own the Stradivarius equivalent of model engines.

In the end I just said:

"Ok forget it"

As I walked away I think he was advising his wife to keep an eye out for my accomplices - "They hit these provincial markets in teams" Apparently we would try again. Needless to say "we" didn't. Never been to car boot since. Nor likely too!

Unbelievable, but true!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/11/2010 23:06:57