Can this edf motor be used as a normal motor

r6dan

this one,I am building Tims Gonzales,I know its waaaay more power than I need,but I have one and it will save spending money i dont have!

So can I use it as a normal motor not in a EDF,and strap it to the front of a plane? 

Edited By r6Dan on 01/12/2010 22:33:18

Advert

You could probably get away with using it in a pusher jet with a 4.75 - 5 inch prop, but it won't turn a big prop without burning out, mate!
If you decide to try it, let the wattmeter guide you! (46A max continuous, 55A Max 10-second burst)
Probably be nice on a Jamara Roo......

I was looking at a 5x5 or 5x4.5 prop maybe,how come it won`t turn a larger prop?Can you tell I am an IC engine man!!

That motor was/is for my GWSa4 edf jet thingy but I was going to try it out on a pylon racer style plane.

Edited By r6Dan on 01/12/2010 22:49:49

Edited By r6Dan on 01/12/2010 22:50:35

Hi Tim,er yes I have...and I still can`t get my head around it,IC yes its simples but electric baffles me
I`m a bit thick me....... 

Edited By r6Dan on 01/12/2010 23:29:31

I'm sure you're not thick at all Dan - and I fully understand that to the inexperienced electric flight can be a bit difficult to grasp. We have done several articles to try and help people such as yourself, and many of them are published here on the forum, after they have appeared in the mag.
Have another read of this one for instance, and see if it might help. Sometimes I find I need to read something several times myself before the penny drops...if at all.

PS, the reason you cant just stick a big prop on a motor designed for a small prop ( or fan ) is simply that it will overload it, overheat and burn out the windings.
Try towing a 6 berth caravan with a high revving 2 stroke racing bike and see what happens.
Same idea ...not that hard to grasp is it ?

In a nutshell Dan, an electric motor will always try to run at a certain speed (which varies with the voltage it's running on.) 

The more you try to slow it down - eg. by putting a bigger prop on - the harder it works to try to reach that natural speed.  And it does so by drawing more and more amps until either the motor, the ESC , or possibly the battery go "phut" and let out the magic smoke.

It's the Kv rating that tells you what that natural speed is.  That figure is the speed per volt.  So this 3600 Kv motor with a 3-cell LiPo - call that 11 volts to keep the figures simple - will try to run at a speed of 3600 x 11 = 39,600 rpm.  Or "around 40,000 rpm"  as Frank said.