Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Thanks Pete, really means a lot to get feedback thumbs up

Haven't had much time over Christmas a 6 year old daughter needs (and rightly) my attention.

However today I have managed to get a little done on the Piper.

morale 1.jpg

morale 2.jpg

The noticeable milestones are that the fus is almost completely sheeted now, also the wing inner sections are glued to the fuselage. I broke one of the stub spars and had to reinforce the join with carbon cloth and CA worked really well.

Couldn't resist sliding on the outer wing panels and nacelles. The fin and elevator are just placed to give this morale boost teeth 2 (ignore the wreck of a workshop!)

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Terry, Simon and Nev, really appreciate your comments thumbs up

I have been looking at the flap pivot points that Ton has indicated on the 3D and I think he has misinterpreted my original drawing. Ton I think you have used the centre of the leading edge radius as the pivot, that's not the case and it should be where the green cross is wink 2 Minor point but thought you would want to know teeth 2

flap and aileron hinge points.jpg

Now the wings are attached the whole model is awkward to work on, but unfortunately that is how we have designed it. The wings needed to be attached before I could do more sheeting. I think this is another reason to think about making the centre secion removable from the fus.....

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny and Ton, hoping you guys have had a great Christmas - and great to see you back on line, if you look at the pivot point pics on page 19, and the comments I posted then...

"As far as my tuppence goes, I probably would have designed the 'hinge' as 'a single rod running through the aileron with a z bend to (the appropriate center point that you calculated) a bearing fixed into a cleat each end, a cleat similar to a control horn soldered midway to the rod would be located to a bearing soldered onto a rod located similar to the detail in the photo (above) for the flap ... ok so the detail would not be perfect but far simpler to model and the same outcome as your design and the rod passing through the aileron would stop any warping of the aileron.."

This would allow for the aileron to be fitted up after skins, additionally there is in the same group of pics, a view of the wing/fus intersect (top angled view) which shows the flap pushrod attachment...., maybe I should draw a detail of my interpretation and send same to you Danny for your thoughts

Marty

Hi Marty, I am struggling to visualise what you are suggesting so please by all means do a drawing. But bear in mind the ailerons are done and dusted. The flaps are next and I was intending to do them the same way as the ailerons using an alloy tube with Chinese Robarts inserted. (Chinese Robarts come in many more sizes than the real ones wink 2) Its proved very rigid, accurate and very smooth, with the aileron dropping under its own weight easily.

Some cnc plates would be the best solution, but i do not have access to that technology sad

Cheers

Danny

Danny,

Yes the pic is a bit confusing it look yes and no at that hingepoint of the aileron and flap, for which the last one Iam sure but, for the aileron Iam not that sure.

To be honest its you who is all over the Apache, so please go your way in doing things to make it 100% functional, because thats the most importent of it all.

For me you have done it again iam motivated on an project which you maybe recognize on the picwink.

Thanks for the motivation.

Cheers

Ton

Thanks CS am enjoying your progress on the Spitty too. I have tried that lightweight filler that has been suggested, and it is great as a filler, but for the fillets, I have never made it work very well. Resin and micro balloons would be a good option, but I have never got on with that either. I find it heavy. I think if you can make foam (blue/pink) work it will be the lightest.

Back to the Apache, not much done I am afraid. I have done something I hate doing but for this model I probably should have done this for the ailerons. I have made hatches and the servos are attached such that rhe linkages are hidden but accesible.

flap servo hatch 2.jpg

flap servo hatch 1.jpg

These will be tidied up and the skin edges lined with G10 and the hatches glassed with a sharp edge as an exercise to see how well they can be concealed.

Cheers

Danny

Blimey Ian praise indeed, thankyou teeth 2 I am waiting to see what emerges from that fancy new workshop you have built, now that is a workshop! Did somebody say a Zero perhaps?

I have to give credit to Ton for all the Cad work, my feeble efforts on the outlines was my only contribution on that front. Its fun to see it all fit together so well and the "sub" shaped Apache come to the surface teeth 2

Cheers

Danny

I'm waiting to see what emerges too, I can't get in it yet until I've finished Jane's den! My new years resolutions on the modelling front are to do more stuff for me and be more active on here, I always find it hard to navigate round this site for some reason though.

I'm in now though so must post more!

Finished for Greenacres?

Ian.

Well it would be great to see more of your stuff on here Ian, yep Apache should be done well ahead of Greenacres, this shouldn't (mustn't) get detailed to death embarrassed its the prototype ahead of a hopefully published plan.

I don't think anybody would argue that the website is what we would wish for, but it is what we have so have to make the most of it. It is shared amongst many different subjects and as such has to cater for different needs. The publishing of photos can be awkward, and involve a two stage process of uploading to an album, and then struggling to find the said uploaded picture again to stick it in the posts crook but the guys on here are a very friendly bunch and keen as mustard to pick up hints and tips and have a bash at "wasting balsa" wink 2 which makes the querks well worth putting up with.

Cheers

Danny