Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Thanks Guys, sorry Ton nothing going on at the mo. Work has been busy and this blessed BiStormer has taken more time than I anticipated sad I have also been asked to do something for next months mag, which on the one hand is great but on the other hand makes doing some work to make the Apache story pt2 very difficult to squeeze in crying 2

Hi Jim, I have seen pics of that one before, so has Ton and it is VERY interesting indeed..... Ton even mumbled something about designing some floats..... not sure if he was serious....

I love it

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Seen it on TV lots of rain you guys have and more lakes than fields what a mess.

The pic is of some years ago and yes lots of rain, but we had a good time and o yes had a little dip picking up my flying boat which was floating upsite down because of the strong wind. some more pickies

The floats with retracts on the Apache would make a great scale columncheeky

Cheers

Ton

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ton, I would love to try flying off water, it looks lots of fun, especially if you have a rescue boat!

A float conversion for the Apache and the Gipsy would be interesting. I think we better see how it flies with wheels first smile p Should have made hard points in the fus wink 2

I have done a little more this evening. Just to finish off the Merlyn Locks...

130314 apache 7952 (large).jpg

A short length of thin walled brass tube is cut to reach from the blocks in the wing to the next rib bay out.

A brass washer is soldered to the end of the tube. The ID is a nice fit for the allen headed bolt.

130314 apache 7956 (large).jpg

The wing is attached and the tube bolted up snugly. The tube is marked, removed and the belt sander used to add the chamfer to the tubing. It is then once more assembled.

130314 apache 7960 (large).jpg

A hole is cut in the sheeting for the tube to exit. and the section of wing sheeted. In my case the tube is a little short, not to worry, but the idea is that the hard edge of the tube protects the wing skin from the allen key driver shaft.

Once the sheeting is dry I will attach the tube to the sheeting from inside the wing. I have left the other side open so that I could do this.

Glad this is out of the way, now I will do the other side and we can look at finishing sheeting the wings.

Cheers

Danny

Of course its more for larger models, but is easily scaled down you could use M2 bolts and captives. That would probably have been more suitable for this size model, but its harder to see and photograph wink 2

You can also change the position of the tube exit ie inboard/outboard to suit.

Cheers

Danny

Ton you must be joking, yes a great subject but blimey it even has a retracting tailwheel, and as for the main gear I wouldn't know where to start.......

I Thought we were doing a Gipsy next? Even got the books out in anticipation, perhaps simplified compared to what we were originally thinking?

Cheers

Danny

Is this Rob of RBC or another Rob? You are very lucky to have such friends! It would make a fabulous model.

I have spent most of the evening on the Apache and have the main retracts in, well one side at least. There is a problem with the spar getting in the way. I had to notch the spar and then add a doubler, no problem really. The retract rails were a little close together and needed amm shaving off each side. Again no problem and easily done.

mains 1.jpg

mains 2.jpg

mains 3.jpg

I have shown this technique before, the blind nuts are driven into 1/4 ply, a section of lite ply is drilled with a Forstner bit to creat a hollow, this will be epoxied on top of the blind nuts to make sure they never come loose.

Cheers

Danny

This shot is to show the mains fitted. All the joints have been filleted with epoxy and coloidal silica slurry.

mains 4.jpg

The area of bulkhead cut out to allow fitment will be replaced, and the entire nacelle underside sheeted. This will allow a mould to be made for the wheel doors, then the area can be opened back up.

underside 1.jpg

More tomorrow if I don't go flying my Chipmunk smile p Oh it is tomorrow crook

Cheers

Danny

Sorry John missed your post there. Afraif the Grumman will have to be Ton's baby, I have enough on my plate right now

Managed to get the motor mounted 24.73mm off the bulkhead. Well it might have been 24. a bit.....

port motor 1.jpg

I hope you can see the extra cutouts I have added to clear the motor and the stand-offs?

The motor is very rigid indeed.

Cheers

Danny