Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

That would be great John, don't worry too much about pics as another modeller got loads when he was there, in fact it was his pics that you were seeing showing the pipes. I do need the diameter of that exhaust tube though.

I will need to remove a tube shaped section from the bottom of the nacelle to accomodate that pipe. Might have been wise with hinesight, to have the nacelle bulkheads drawn to allow for the missing tubular section crook

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Thanks John I am assuming it was round at some time, looking at other pics I have of er.... better kept examples it looks round. The other side although painted red looks round? Picture further up the page....

Thanks a lot for taking the time, really appreciate it

Cheers

Danny

• 3 months later...

Danny,

I read your comments about planking and the idea of shaping the planks with regards to the distance around the former. If the planks are going from narrow to wide and then back down to narrow, how do you determine the curve on the sides of the planks? Not sure if I'm explaining that well enough, but I've just recently had a go at doing some planking, just using narrow parallel strips, but you end up with a few odd little wedges here and there. It went well, but I'd be interested to hear any more tips.

Simon

Hi Simon, I haven't tried it myself yet but I have seen it done on a forum thread somewhere. The idea means that you don't end up with little wedges, every piece fits. I am doing a Chipmunk as part of an online build you may have seen the thread "Chip Shop"? Anyway I am going to use the technique on the fuselage of that just to see how well it works. The chamfer, on each planks edge, if that's what you mean? should be the same on each plank and could be calculated, I think its probably sufficient to guestimate wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Danny,

The chamfer bit I'm happy with, really locks the planks in place and reduces the gaps. I wish I could remember where I read you comments on the planking. I'm sure there was a sketch showing an individual plank starting narrow, widening nearer the centre an then tapering back down. I understand the idea of how to divide up the length around the former you are planking to determine the width of the plank, but the sketch showed a curved edge to the outline of the plank.............I was wondering how you would create those curves and still expect no gaps?

Here is my first attempt, but I didn't taper the planks.

As I would only be transitioning between two formers, the planks would just have straight chamfered edges.

This was the front where I tried using a bit of taper on the planks.

Didn't get the spacing spot on, but definitely less wedges towards the end. I'm pretty happy as it was my first go at planking. Built a lot of models, but it's a technique I've never used. I'm building a Hawker hunter at some point which uses a lot of planking, so this has been great practice.

Cheers,

Simon

Well done Simon, looks like you have pretty well got the nack, if you end up with wedges its not the end of the world. The Apache has a an awful taper and I am doing it the old way, ie ending up with wedges but I will try the method I mention in the magazine on the Chipmunk.

planking.jpg

This next shot is for Ton, see still working on it, the last nacelle is very nearly planked

dsc_8526 (large).jpg

Hopefully finish the nacelle this evening

Cheers

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CA I am rather imersed in a Chipmunk build at the moment, but some Apache did get done. The nacelles are fully sheeted and sanded. The retracts are back in and opening cut. I wont bother with doors for the test flight.

I have made an elevator joiner and sorted the linkages, I am just fighting with the rudder linkage, there is very little room in thr tail, and of course they both want to be in the same place!

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Danny,

I could not help but be pulled into your and Ton's Piper Apache project. I am most interested in reviewing
Ton's Rhino files...my aspirations are to bring it up to around 130 inch w/s or there about. I have a CNC
mill and am considering milling an .stl after slicing and dicing it into 3" thick component sections.

Is there a composite .stl with the regular Rhino output file?

Ed Clayman
FliteMetal.com
Across The Pond ;^)

• 1 year later...

Hi Ed, good to see you frequenting our forum Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but must have missed your post and am just getting back into the Apache....

I must confess I do not have the files, I did lots of 2D work on the drawings in Turbocad, the subsequent Rhino files are all Ton's work. I do know that we would like to publish the plans one day, and there may even be a kit produced by Rob of RBC kits as he has put a lot of time in as well.

I am going to try and pick up where I left off with making plugs so I can vacform the cockpit side windows. If you want to follow along you can find the continuation of the build here

Cheers

Danny

Hi Andrew, if you get stuck send me a PM and I will send you Mike's email addy he is the guy that runs the site.

I appreciate some of you will be quite happy to just watch which is free but does require you to register. Posting does require you be a paid up member, well worth it if you really like to build.

So if you want to use this thread to ask questions then please feel free.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/02/2016 18:36:00

• 3 weeks later...

The foam plug was glassed primered and sprayed with gloss paint from a rattle can. It was then given 5 coats of release wax.

The MDF box was filled with herculite and the plug weighted down to stop it floating!

The waxing worked as the plug popped out of the mould with no damage.

Unfortunately a couple of blemishes crept in, possibly due to insufficiently mixing the Herculite, need a stirring paddle for the drill!

Need to wait for this to dry thoroughly before waxing and filling with Herculite to give the final plug that will be strong enough to withstand vacforming.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 27/02/2016 20:50:52