Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi Tony, well I assembled the model on the scales. This includes the complete airframe, including tail feathers etc, also all the servos, esc's, rx, retracts, motors, wiring, lighting.

3310g or 7.3lbs

So we need to add to that some wheels and legs, some petg glazing, glass cloth and resin, and paint.

So I reckon we are on for 10lb if I am careful.....

with a span of 74" and a Chord of nearly 12" that gives us something like 888 sq ins, so if we say 3310g then we have a wing loading of around 60g/sq.dm or in old money 19.8 oz/sq.ft

Not sure if that's good or not, hope so wink 2 Wheres BEB and Hooperman when I need them thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Hi Tony, Not sure about such things. I did find a website that allowed you to button in the figures and it would work it out.

Hence coming out at 19oz/sq.ft and thats IF I squander the remaining 2.7lbs on finishing and paint and hit 10lbs

The site suggested 10oz/sq.ft for gliders, 15 for trainers, 20 for sports models and 25 for fighters

Just not sure how realistic those numbers are....

Cheers

Danny

Danny, just looking at your figures. Please correct me if I am miscalculating but if your wing area (74" x 12" is about 6,1 sq.ft. Then 10 lbs divided by 6,1 is roughly 1,6 lbs/sq.ft or 25 oz/sq.ft.

Edited By Tony K on 17/03/2014 12:15:51

: followed ) will give a special character... add spaces and you will be okay

Tony I owe you an appology, I used the current weight in my calcs not projected 10lbs embarrassed

wing loading approx.jpg

so yes 27 is pretty high according to this site, but is this reality? 10lb for a 74" model doesn't sound to bad. I have a YT Hurricane that weighs 14lbs and less wing area though I wouldn't want to go that heavy, it does come in a bit hot smile o

Cheers

Danny

... and I apologise for interrupting your build thread

I did a search of the site and found the following information from BEB.

Quote, "But there is indeed a figure which is more related to performance - the "cubic wing loading" - this divides the weight (oz) by the (wing area - sq ft) ^1.5

This tends to give values that relate better to what you might expect the plane to fly like. Floaters being at the 6-7 end, scale jobs 12-ish and fast racers coming in at 15 or so. These figures apply pretty well independent of size - or at least to some degree.

BEB"

On my calculator 6,1 ^ 1,5 is 15 and 160 divided by 15 is 10,6.

By that reckoning there should be no problem.

Phew.... I am glad you did post Tony, wing loading is not something I normally look at but I should, trouble is I try to build fairly light, and the weight is what it is, no calculations are going to change that crook But forewarned is forearmed. The wing is effectively a metal skinned Piper Cub wing, and I would expect it to be fairly sedate, but having said that, this is my first R/C twin! If you hadn't piped up my carelessness would have gone unchecked. So please keep interrupting thumbs up

Spent all last evening messing around with U/C legs. I would like to make some oleos as all the commercial ones are too long, this beasty has little short legs! Anyway for expediency (they can be changed later) I may just bend up some piano wire jobbies. Trouble is I don't really have the lengths sorted. Even the wheel/tyre size is up for debate. The tyres are 6.00:6 for the nose and 7.00:6 for the mains. These numbers seem to indicate that the wheel hubs are 6" nose, and 7" for the mains. Tyre width is the latter figure and is 6" No diameter is specified in the service manual. Ton has the mains as 3" My 3 views scales them to 3.25" I think I will go 3" on the mains and 2.75" on the nose. Its easy to change at a later date. Right better make some drawings and get the wire bender out

Cheers

Danny

Had a little play during lunch, I have used a much thinner piano wire than the Eflites came fitted with. The intention is to have some oleos if the model performs well. So not to much effort in these, however they were a pain to bend, and I am dreading trying to do another one the same crook

mains 1.jpg

mains 2.jpg

Anyway, I need to ask some advice. The piano wire is much smaller than the hole in the U/C blocks. I was thinking of soft soldering two brass tubes to the leg, to pack it out. I don't want to silver solder as the extra heat will take the strength out of the piano wire. It is after all only packing so soft solder good enough?

mains 3.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

That is basically what I have done on the Magic. 8g is just over 4mm thick, the undercarriage retract was sized for 5mm legs so I simply sleeved it (the leg) with brass tube and swaged the end slightly. I didn't even need to solder it. It isn't going to move, the retract will die first. The tube was a very tight fit though - it needed hammering into place over the leg.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/03/2014 13:53:28

Well after 3 years and 3 months the Apache is able to stand on its own. This is quite a milestone smile p Had to do the old rough assembly shot didn't I teeth 2

Really looks the part I think, and Hank has made himself right at home. Last seen reading "Assymetric flight for Dummies" I hope he was paying attention.......

motivational 1.jpg

motivational 2.jpg

motivational 3.jpg

Excuse the mess..... embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

Danny, just an observation but if the nose leg starts to keel over on landing you might find it goes off line and bends badly. I know this, I had a single strut nose wheel leg on my Seagull dual ace. It was a nightmare. However, I bought one of these double leg struts.

They are very strong and superb. If you get trouble then there is a solution.

Fults leg strut

Oh forgot you have a retract nose wheel, sorry. Might still fit though.

Edited By cymaz on 18/03/2014 18:43:37