Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

In case anybody is curious the plaster female was a disaster and got smashed and binned. A fibreglass female was made and a Herculite plug made from this.

Here is the result of lots of work

Nice and clear and a bonus is the plug can be used to make the starboard side too as the curve is similar.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Thanks Colin, it has been a lot more work than I expected, that's what comes with trying new techniques, but life would be boring just going down a well worn path, lets hack through the weeds

Hi Ton, lovely to see you still following along, we need to get this project done I reckon. I trust you still have the drawing files? Maybe we could think about making a plan, I have had a couple of enquiries about drawings and or parts

I will try and stay on the Apache until the first flight now

Love your Sonny plan, very like a Keil Kraft? model I built as a lad, might see if my daughter can build one after we have had some fun with her Viper Control liner, I am about to introduce her to DOPE, probably get arrested for subjecting her to the fumes! Don't worry well ventilated and I will chase her from the workshop after 5 minutes

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

Yes it Always takes time to learn new technigues but thats also the fun of it, specialy when it comes out the way it should be.

And Ooooo yes I follow the Apache with the CD in the background wink and yes there will be a plan for sure some day. But first I want to wait for the first maiden flight because you never know what adjustments should be done after that. When the first round has flown the plan can be drawn , parts adjusted and there even can be a kit through RBCkits if there is enough interrest. The files for the model are already there its only to make sure the Apache will fly as it should be.

The Sonny is good fun iam totally in the retro models, iam a modeller for more than 35 years so there is still plenty models to do. I never expected the Sonny would fly that great, its so much fun seing the Sonny glide gently through the air.

Would love to see some Keil Kraft models come back as retro models they would make great RC models and to be honest I have some on my to do list.

Great to see you and your daughter having fun building and flying models, yes do ventilate as good as possible. Iam still feeling face 21 after all the models I have used dope on.

Cheers

Ton

Hi Ton, that is good to know....

The Herculite plug has been made for the front windshield. Rob Bulk of RBC Kits took Ton's 3D drawing and made a CNC plug which enabled him to vacform a windshield. Unfortunately it was full of bubbles and blemishes. It was also made from much too thin a plastic.
I took the vacform and supported the flimsey structure in sand, then poured Herculite into the vacform to create a new plug.

I am going to enlarge my vacform machine to take slightly larger sheets of 1mm PETG and have a go myself. If this all fails then I will courier the plug off to a local vac forming outfit.

It weighs in at 4.7kgs and that is with a large piece of foam in the centre to save me some Herculite.....

Herculite costs around £17 for a 25kg sack so it is fairly cheap

My bag of Herculite was even cheaper as a friend let me have what he had left after making a canopy mould thumbs up

Cheers
Danny

• 2 years later...

Blimey it looks like I haven't updated this thread in a while.

Looking forward to the Fury thread, but thought I would do a bit on my Apache whilst lingering the start.

I have vacformed the windows and glazed the fus. I have made some foam bits and am now glassing them ready for making a mould. The moulds are going to be using a new technique for me. Hopefully have them done in time for the next mag, so I will keep quiet about the technique for now, but as a teaser I will be using a soft mould with a rigid shell......

dsc_2643 (large).jpg

dsc_2644 (large).jpg

I also routed the trailing edges and fitted 1/64 ply trailing edges. These close the gap to the control surface without impeding travel. They are a bit of a faff but look great when done.

dsc_2653 (large).jpg

Yes Ton, I am still working away on it.... all be it slowly my friend

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

If an apprentice is allowed to have an 'educated' (?) guess... angel

A "soft mould with rigid shell""? ... Could that be applying a release agent to the plug, then make a glass counterpart with a thin gel coat and possibly a coat of glass fiber? Then keeping it all together to have a soft silicone casting around it... ??? question wink

No, that isn't the solution, after all. no

Cheers

Chris

ps > I really hope it will take less time to build your Fury... devil

Well, Danny, then I truly hope you will explain the 'trick' here on your thread as well.

In fact, we can't buy a copy of the RCM&E mag here in BE and the outbound subscription price just doubles the price of it with the P&P rate.

We are just damned to remain 'stupid', I'm afraid... sad

Cheers

Chris

Whilst waiting for some lego to arrive (I didn't have enough, in fact can you ever have enough lego?)

I thought I would dabble with the tail cone. I could have used the vacforms that Rob had kindly done from the Cad files but I like blue foam, and prefer it to faffing around with vacform mouldings and trying to get them to allign....

Anyway a long way to go with the shape still. Unfortunately the only airframe I know of is at Doncaster Aero Park, and the aupper tailcone, under the rudder is missing, so I do not know how it goes. If anybody has pics or knows where an airframe is that i could go and photograph give me a shout?

Anyway, progress is creating enthusiasm, enthusiasm creates progress.......

tailcone shaping 1.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Chris i have watched that link before. Some say the Apache is ugly to me it looks perfectly balanced, with curves in all the right places
Anyway back to the tailcone.Rod over on the RCSB forum sent me a link to several PA23 cones for sale, and in amongst the adds i spotted this.

sam_9957_80d1e11513962524.jpg

sam_9958_35435f1513962525.jpg

sam_9961_b6bfe81513962528.jpg

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/09/2018 07:14:56

• 1 year later...

Okay Apache fans, the reason I walked away from this model were because I hit a problem that I couldn't easily solve. Well I made a mock exhaust duct and attacked the nacelle. Fortunately almost all the underlying structure is clear of the exhaust which is great.

I started trying the short section of formed litho until it was recessed 50% then opened up the nacelle fore and aft accordingly. Once I got close I realised the full length pipe was needed. I switched to thin litho as it was hard work forming the thick. Oh for a set of rollers!

Anyway you get the idea:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

And if you are wondering what the hell I am doing, this is the full size.....

006.jpg

Cheers

Danny