Seagull Nemesis - the xmas day build!

Advert

After repairing the tail wheel of my Harmon Rocket i checked the Nemesis over.Firstly for some reason I wasnt getting full throttle.I readjusted that should improve the power.I then found a spare pair of wheels and axles,so Ive removed the wheel pants,but dont have to remove the wheels from them.So I can file these and when the grass is short and dry,ans its scale day,I only need to remove a couple of nuts to swop them back

Nice work Stephen. Only just found the thread. What are you doing in the new year?  Building an extension on your house for your model collection!

Is you model strip an airstrip too?  That looks remarkably like a full size microlight (G-PGSA?) landing in your Boxing Day pics?

Plus one small question, on page two of the thread someone mentioned thread lock. I have occasionally put it on engine mount bolts , I know some people use self tappers on small engines. I use small nylocks and bolts.  Where else do you folks use thread lock? 

Good luck with the maiden, I look forward to the video.

If I can get a proper lock nut in - I always do that. Its better than a Nyloc or any amount of threadlock. Its the only way you can be 100% sure it isn't coming off - but at the same time its easy to remove if you have to - the optimum solution. But you might not want to take much notice of that - coming as it does from someone who thinks using self tapping screws is dodgy anywhere - and amounts to downright barbarism as means of fitting an engine

If I can't get a lock nut in for some reason - I'll use a Nyloc with threadlock! I'm a very cautious person!

I tend to use it anywhere I have a nut and bolt combination that is critical - particularly in areas that might be less accessable once the model is fully assembled.

BEB

Well in a manner of speaking the Nemesis has flown but not without a few dramas along the way.After my success with my Cap 232 in the week I was happy to  do the maiden.With an expert alongside the first attempt was aborted as I couldnt prevent it going left.The second attempt  I managed with lots of rudder to get it straight but for some reason not enough speed.It took off my instructor is shouting get it down and Im trying to control it ,back down but we are running out of room and it lands in grass and hedge.We check it over all fine.Change the prop, but the engine is revving to high,change the prop back  and I decide my collegue would  be better doing the maiden.I carry the model out for the third attempt.I pull it back and forth to give it a clearer start and find a massive resistance.I call off the take off and we take it back.I had fitted bigger wheels already on axles removed from another model .For some reason 1  the left wheel is seizing going forward.A lock nut has come loose and is screwing into the wheel locking it.We readjust and tighten everything up and are ready again.He takes off and we are in trouble.The elevator is vicious so he is all over the place,with very gentle in put he gets control but soeone is fiddling on the strip so we have to wait to get it down.we land reduce the elevator 50% and reduce the aileron down to 50% also and try again.Magic flies and performs well.Si I now take off have a good fly round and decide to land.Bring her in for a goodish landing, it bounces and lands breaking the u/c support.Looks a straight forward repair,but I have to say I made heavier landings with my Harmon rocket and never a problem.The model looks fantastic in the air and now flies superbly.Im spending the evening seeing if I can strengthen the mount and fly again tomorrow.The video guy turned up to late but hopefully tomorrow