Hawker Cygnet

Tim Hooper

Advert

Danny,

I expect that Uncle Alex is just in denial, that's all!

Anyway, it's all little details now. I've added a few dials to the rear cockpit. Funnily enough, although the fullsized Ciggy sports a a joystick and rudder bar in both front and rear cockpits, it's onlt the rear one that has any instrumentation.

I've also added a lick of paint to those dummy engine cylinders.

All the control horns are cut from circuit board material. Here are the four aileron horns, which will be painted black later.

Now I have a confession to make....

Normally I take a perverse pride in cutting out my own graphics and registration lettering, but the thought of all those serif-bestrewn letters on the nose logo persuaded me to run for the safety of the local graphics company instead.

So for the measly sum of 12 quid, they knocked out both the logos and the, much larger, fuselage registrations.

For anyone who's interested, it's done in Felix Titling.........

tim

Thanks Ton!

No more pics at the moment, but I have been busy - honest!

All the servos are installed and hooked up. Everything wiggles that's supposed to wiggle when I wobble the sticks around! Always a bonus that.

I'm waitng for delivery of some Alu-cladding so I have another crack at cladding the cowl area.

In the meantime, tonight should see the rigging wires being bullied intoshape...

tim

Posted by Tony Prince on 24/04/2011 08:26:17:
That Alu cladding looks the biz Tim, is it easy to use? Love the Cygnet, with that amount of power you'll be doing F3A with it!

Tony,

The Aluclad is a doddle to use, as long as you don't expect too much of it! It'll cope with very gentle compound curves, but it's not Solarfilm if you know what I mean!

Anyway, we took the Ciggie to the field today for a few static shots...

And then the wind dropped a little, and I ran out of excuses.......
A short run saw the Cygnet lift off easily at half throttle.

In spite of the gusting crosswind, we spent the next 10 minutes doing low passes for Netty's camera. Nothing fancy as yet.

A triumphant moment!

The flight used 2000mah of the 4000mah cell pack.

More to come......

tim

Wow Tim - she looks great! Well done (again!). You really do have the knack and are an inspiration to us lesser mortals.

Just got up to a beautiful calm sunny morning down here and thought the day couldn't get any better until I saw your pics! Thanks - brilliant - have a choccie Easter egg all to yourself later.

What next??

Terry

• 2 months later...
Tim,
Last year after the LMA Cosford show I went into the museum and was impressed with the Cygnet. I got permission from the Curator to take photos and took around 200 of as much detail as possible.
I started researching the plane, and found a Traplet plan for an 83" (1/4 scale) model.
Last week at Cosford I gave the plan to SLEC to get parts laser cut as I want all the ribs etc. to be the lattice type which would take forever to cut by hand!
I hope to be able to start the build later this year to join my 1/4 scale Bristol F2B Brisfit, 1/4 scale PItts, and 1/4 scale Maule.
Today, while doing some more research I came across your build which I have read all the way through. Fascinating. I would love to see it for real.
Regards,
Gordon.

Hello Gordon, and thanks for the kind comments!

I'm aware of the Traplet plan, but wanted mine to be a tad smaller, so 1/5 scale seemed more convenient. My own model doesn't pretend to be anything other than semi-scale, but I have to say that having had numerous flights with her now, I'm still delighted with her flight performance.

Those huge ailerons endow her with a spritely roll response, and I've no reservations about performing the 'B' test schedule with her. Mind you, she looks more relaxed when emulating the full-sized original!

The plans have been submitted to RCM+E now, so I'd like to think that they'll be published sometime in the future.

tim

I can understand wanting something a bit smaller - transporting larger models can be a pain!
I have to admit to not being a good flyer as I just do not have the stick-time necessary so I am happy just to potter around, although I do enjoy watching someone fly my planes well.
Building is somethng I enjoy most, although even that takes a long time because of business commitments.
I will look for your plan in RCM&E and maybe see you at one of the shows?
Gordon.

Congratulations - I will look forward to seeing that.
I hope to hear from SLEC at Elvington in a couple of weeks to see how they are getting on with laser cutting the parts for me. - I'll let you know how it goes.

Gordon.