Hawker Cygnet

Tim Hooper

Advert

Ooops.....back again!

I took some time out to draw the fuselage side elevation, and then take a tracing to build the side frames on.

The longerons are from hard balsa as you'd expect, so I found it necessary to horizontally slit the fron of the lower one, in order to get it to curve correctly without tending to spring back.

I've tried to emulate the structure of the full-sized Cygnet with its Warren bracing (the diagonal bits). Experience tells that this is the way to build the siffest structure possible.

tim

Hi Tim looking really good, I have one of those 4260 motors on 5S lipo in my 86" Chipmunk !!! You will have loads of power. I am on a 15 x 10 on the Chipmunk gives around 1400 watts at full throttle. And before anyone says anything a 15.5" prop is scale size for a 1/5 scale chippy

Cheers
Danny

Hi Tim, the Chippie is probably double the weight of your wonderful creation, it weighs in at just under 12lbs but that is with 5S 10,000mAh

These numbers were gathered in the garden, the 6S A123 is about equivalent to a 4S - 5S LiPo.
Seeing these figures has me wondering if the Chippie is actually producing the power I think, probably not the figures don't lie

Ah well it will loop from a shallow dive just like a reall chippie so does it matter? I will stick a wattmeter on it next time i fire it up Tim

PS I do have a problem with the 4260 range not starting every time the throttle is advanced, its very annoying. These are the only motors I have that do it. Possibly the ESC brand. Though they work okay on other motors. 

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/02/2011 09:22:12

Thanks Wolfie!

All that info in very useful. It looks as though I may be over-powering the Ciggie to some extent, although I'm looking for an AUW of around 8lbs or so (don't forget all those acres of Solartex.......).

Dan, I'm using a new Turnigy PLush 60A ESC. I've got a couple of these (allied to other Turnigy outrunners) and never experienced any starting problems. We'll have to see what happens when I bolt it all together, won't we?

tim

Dan,

The original has huge ailerons on all four wings! No kidding.....

This wasn't to cater for 3D aerobatics, but to allow the ailerons to slide over each other when the wings folded back along the fuselage sides.

If you look at the wings on my model, the ailerons will extend from the rear spar to the trailing edge. Full span too.

I'll cut them free at a later stage.

tim

Dan, I have the micrometer all ready!

I'm leaving the ailerons attached until I sort out all the incidences.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the inverted fuselage sides making the acquaintance of F2 and F3. If they get on, then I'll introduce F1 to the nose area.

The extreme rear ends of the fuselage will have bend quite sharply in order to meet up at the stern post, so I've slit them vertically to ease their passage!

tim

F1 joined its colleagues last night, and the rear fuselage received a few lengths of crossbracing.

It all seems suspiciously square so far............Hmmmmmm.....

There's quite a pronounced curvature in the rearmost couple of inches of fuselage, so I opted to slit the longerons vertically.

......which makes it a lot easier to bring them together at the sternpost!

I've only just come across this thread, nice work Tim.
I too like laminated outlines and have used them on all sorts of models. I never bothered to soak the balsa strips though, just coated them with PVA and used formers for inside and outside made from MDF and clamped together using cling film to stop the outlines from sticking to the formers.
As for bending hard longerons, many many years ago I built an Ansaldo for C/L which had ply formers and spruce longerons. These had to be steam bent to shape with curves in two directions. Took me quite a long time steaming them using a kettle on the gas stove...
A jig to build the fuselage on was also needed as there wasn't a straight line anywhere.
Malcolm

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 03/02/2011 21:25:08:More photos please
Ton

I'll do my best - I promise!

Just as an exercise in pointlessness, I thought I'd dump all the bit on the scales and see where where we are at the moment. My apologies for working in imperial units!

4S 4000Mah cellpack 20.4oz
Motor/ESC/UBEC 15.9oz
Servos (6) 11.4oz
Balsa airframe 25.1oz

TOTAL TO DATE 72.9oz (4lb 9oz)

So given my target weight of 8lb AUW, that leaves around 3½lb left for covering, struttery, undercart+wheels, linkages, rx., etc.

tim

So, here's the start of the metalwork!

The cabane struts are cut from 12swg piano wire, and I drew out patterns and and cut balsa templates to keep them as accurate as possible. After all there's nothing worse than a biplane with wonky wings, is there?

Then I set about a pice of brass sheet with some tin snips, hammer and vice to produce these little saddle clamps, which will secure the struts to the top of the fuselage.

I'm using brass so I can solder the clamps to the struts to aid alignment of the upper wing. More to follow......

tim

With all the brass widgets soldered to the struts, I made some mounts out of 1/8 ply, which were then screwed and glued to the tops of F2 and F3.
This view shows the underside of the mounts, with the 3mm blindnuts in place.

F2 and F3 are gussetted with obechi block. Note the cutouts to allow for the blind nuts!

The struts are temporarily screwed in place to check for alignment. What has become apparent is that I mis-measured the rear strut and it's about 2mm too long, which would lead to negative incidence on the wing. No matter - I'll shim up the bottom of the front strut to compensate!

The tiny fitments near the bottom of the verticals will allow me to fit static rigging when the model is finally assembled.

tim

Hi Tim, just looking at your latest build,I don't know how you find the time! Regarding the wire cabane struts,which I have been told are correctly called centre section struts,I have found it preferable to use 3mm gas welding rod.This can be obtained from car body garages,and is a mild steel wire with a copper coating.It bends and solders much easier than piano wire,and is amply strong.I have used it on many models,and I am in fact using it on my latest Krier Kraft,which is to 1/4 scale.However,it is not resilient enough to use as undercarriage wire.Try some on your next model,I think you'll find it satisfactory,............................cheers,Mal.

Some more progress!

It didn't take a genius to see that I made the rear struts a tad too long, when I compared the model to my plan. Look at all that negative incidence! Never mind, it didn't take too long to remake the strut......sigh.........

A lot of careful measuring saw the holes bored in the fuselage sides for the aluminium tubes for the lower wing rods. It all fitted first time (which sort of made up for the boo-boo with the rear strut!)

Looking promising!

tim