Well Hello

Tony Bennett

Hiya
after 40 years away from any form of model flying i have decided to have another bash.
The last thing i flew was a keil kraft scorpion single channel high wing trainer, i crashed it. lol and threw it all in the bin.
Then girls and motorcycles arived on the scene and that was that.
now 40 years later i have some spare time and thought i would have another bash.
i have been building some guillows rubber powered free flight models, hurricane, spitfire, me109 and the p38,its ok for a bit of fun but chucking them around the field get boring after a while.

my wife got me an old single channel glider for christmas that i want to have a bash with in the new year, but i would like to get some ideas on whats best for a total dweeb like me to fly as a first powered plane.

i love the building part, the smell of the glue and dope really gets me going. lol
so a self build trainer would be my ideal.
please bear in mind that i don't have alot  money to spare for my new hobby so be gentle with me.
tony.

Advert

Welcome Tony to the best forum on the web bar none. 40 yrs away is a long time but dont worry the lads on here will put you right. Dont forget the only stupid question is the one you dont ask
Make even better use of this forum by filling in a bit on your profile and activating the "message me" section, it can double your enjoyment and we then have an idea of who we are talking to and where in the country you are
Garry

thanks for the welcome.

rc has changed one hell of a lot since i last flew.
i had a mcgregor single channel set up, the one where you had to push a button once for left and twice for right and the wiring took a degree in electronics to understand. lol

i still have the transmiter and reciever under the bed, must be an antique now.

still i thing a 3 channel set up would be best for me, as i don't plan to be doing any stunts just yet.
thinking electric for motive power but as its all greek to me i will be asking many many stupid questions.

tony.

Nice building Tony - and welcome on board!

We pride ourselves as being the friendly forum - lots of great help - quite a bit of banter from the old hands too! You'll soon get the hang of that.

Take a look here for hints and tips on using the forum best. Don't forget to drop in at the cafe here for a break and a chat from time to time!

Welcome back to the best hobby in the world - bar none!

BEB

Welcome back Tony,

I agree that a three channel model is usually the best choice to learn on for an older novice. You're obviously an excellent builder, of those models available in kit-form I'd recommend a Super 60. Semi-scale lines, robust and simple to build, its flat bottomed wing section enables it to penetrate winds better than those models with an under cambered wing section. Fitted with a 25-35 two stroke, 40 four stroke or 400-500 watt electric motor set up and you'll be fine.

Just my two pennorth.  

Hi Tony,

Very nice build. I know it's originally designed for rubber power, but have you considered electric even as FF. Derick Knight of Knight and Pridam do some great bits for rubber to electric conversions. Sams are the ones that stock the stuff. along with other traditional free flight supplies.

http://www.samsmodels.co.uk/

May be see you at Old Warden for the May Fly event with the finished model.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hello and welcome Tony.

Ask as many questions as you like. What you think is a stupid question will also help many others who won't ask.  Those of us with more experience are often secretly glad that someone asked and someone else answered.