Plane ground anchor / tail support.

Steven Butler

Advert

I made something very similar by welding some stainless steel rod and slipping foam on the uprights.  (Before I'd ever seen such a commercial product!)  I have seen people push two spikes or screwdrivers in to the ground suitably spaced . (The spikes , not the poeple!)

I've also seen people use a line around the tail secured by a screwdriver spiked into the ground. NOT recommended. Big disadvantage to my mind is, it's not that easy to remove the model one handed when you want to fly.   I saw a nasty accident a couple of weeks ago where a club member put his hand into the edge of a rotating prop, largely I think because he was using this system.

Several clubmates use the line system (although I'm a restrainer user myself) which is pretty safe as long as you move behind the model to unhook it.  I always teach people to remove the glow from this position anyway so there's nothin additional to do. I hate seeing anyone reach over a running prop for any reason!

I bough a wooden broom handle for about a pound and a lenght of foam pipe lagging for about the same. Cut the handle into cricket stump lengths and sharpen'd the ends. Then just push/hammer in the summer them into the ground and put a bit of pipe lagging over each one to protect your plane. Good enough to restrain my 26cc Zero on full tilt. Sorted.

To speak for an alternative view, I shudder when I see models restrained by the comparatively fragile tailplane while being started, or even worse, run up to full throttle.  Not for me anyway.

I prefer to use the leading edge of the wing , most often using my flight box in front of one wing and a padded stick driven into the ground in front of the other.  On particularly tall models, two padded sticks.

I accept that this is a minority view but IMHO neither the construction of the tailplane and rear fuselage or the close proximity of all of the elevator and rudder linkages, make tail restraints a good idea.

You pays your money......

stu k 

Edited By stu knowles on 03/01/2011 14:24:54

I agree with the above,I wouldn`t put the full thrust of my engine  through the tail,IMOP tail restraints are fine to get the model started but for full throttle I would hold on to the fus or wing root.

Edited By r6dan on 03/01/2011 14:36:18

I think I'd be asking myself questions if I thought my tailplane wasn't strong enough to retain the model...the average tailplane has about 5 inches of epoxy in shear attaching it against the thrust. I'd be surprised if there was much more than 10 lbs of static thrust from a 120 4 stroke or 90 2 stroke at full bore.