Multiplex Twinstar 2 reloaded

Kelly

Advert

Very nice job indeed and for a great price. A couple of questions for you. I am thinking of refurbing my Twinstar, what motor/esc combo did you use (can't quite make it out on the photos) and what paint did you use? I have read that some paints do not go well with the foam used but you have done a nice job there.

Hi Gaz,

Yes everything apart from the standard Futaba servos,
TheTwinstar has all the servos needed installed.
It even has the flight battery and field charger .

It was ready to fly with minor repairs to the tail but I decided to upgrade to a brushless set up. 

Kelvin

Hi John

Two combo deals from BRC

Emulsion paint from Homebase brushed on.
It does tend to rub off on the edges  but no problem just to touch up now and again.

I have tried several types of acrylic spray paint all of them ate the foam .

The dedicated spray paint in your LMS made for use on foam is great, used a can of silver on my GWS 190 as a base coat, a bit expensive though .

The blue on this is emulsion paint, brush on acrylics for the rest.

Kelvin

Thanks for the info Kelvin, I see that they are out of stock at the moment. I will be very interested to here how it goes when you have the opportunity to fly it.

I guess if you put a layer of water based varnish over the emulsion it would make it more resistant to damage, so I may look at that. Good luck with the flying.

• 1 year later...

Hey Kelvin sorry to dig up an old thread but Ive just completed a brushless TwinStar II build and Im finding Im having to put the Lipo as far back as poss to get it to balance anywhere near the 85mm mark, did you find the same? This is a multiplex set up, with the multiplex supplied motors, props, spinners (which are heavy metal domes ahead of the CoG) and the Speed controllers are on long extension leads (as supplied by Multiplex) so the units end up in the fus, not in the wing as yours are mounted close to the motors, and to be honest this limits how far back you can mount your Lipo as the fus becomes full of wiring and hardware!

In hindsight I would hev been wise cutting cavities in the fus walls to take the speed controllers when they were still in 2 halves - so the battery can slide further rearward I guess - but can you confirm how far back you placed your Lipo to get this to balance?

Just trying my best before I reluctantly add a few ounces of church roof to the tail

Phil,

I have been flying a standard Twinstar 2 for about 5 / 6 years with very heavy Ni mH battery packs up to 10.6 volts. I did find when I first flew the plane that the recommended C/G position was too far back towards the tail so to get the plane to fly properly I had to move the battery pack(s) nearer to the nose of the plane. Another issue has been the location of the single speed controller. The current unit I have installed has a heat sink and it would appear essential to have the heat sink right at the front of the air intake to avoid the motors cutting out. Of course the situation may be different with brushless motors and speed controllers and perhaps lower running currents and heat production?

I have always assumed that with a brushless / lipo set up some form of ballast (Church Roof Lead or similar) would be necessary at the front of the plane?

MJE

Hi Phil,

I installed the motors/ ESC based on how others on the net did their upgrades.

The ESC likes to be in a cool place coollaugh

Not flown it yet, balance on mine is fine around 85mm slightly nose down with the lipo well forward .

Note taken on MJE 's CoG .

Kelvin

• 5 months later...

I have a twin star running on standard brushed motors and would like to convert to brushless.I have looked on the multiplex site but their conversion kit is much to expensive and would like to know if anyone could suggest a cheaper alternitive.Also I would like some help as to how to connect the speed controllers to the receiver.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 25/10/2012 13:30:48

• 1 year later...

Hello, Maidened my Twin Star 11, this morning. It is fitted with a pair of Kontrinic 400`s pulling around sixty amps on a 3s pack. It goes like the proverbial bat out of hell. Problem was, with the CG at the recommended 85mm, it turned out to be a real handfull. It is quite obvious that the recommended balance point is way to far back.

I see that Mike Etheridge discovered this with his Twin Star. If you happen to see this posting Mike, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me the level you eventualy settled at for your model