35MHz going for good?

Steve W-O

I heard last night the both the LMA and BMFS have stated that only 2.4GHz will be used for front line public displays.

Looks like 35Mhz won't last much longer, now's the time to put it on ebay.

I also heard the according to insurance figures, claim numbers are at roughly the same level as they were 5 years ago, indicating that most accidents are pilot error not radio interference as stated.

I think we all knew that anyway.

Advert

Posted by Steve W-O on 04/01/2011 07:12:59:

I also heard the according to insurance figures, claim numbers are at roughly the same level as they were 5 years ago, indicating that most accidents are pilot error not radio interference as stated.

Or it could mean 2.4 is no better?

Posted by Phil B on 04/01/2011 07:25:46:

Or it could mean 2.4 is no better?

I've seen several crashes where the pilot has blamed interference, and it was quite clear they just ran out of talent.

Not saying that every crash I have seen was obviously pilot error, but most.

Also I think I am more likely to accept the views that have been formulated by rational discussion amongst experts, and very experienced pilots, as I was not aiming to discuss the merits of either frequency, but rather the effect these decisions will have on 35MHz.

As far as statistics go, I suppose there could be different risks involved as well. I use 2.4 for electric and 35 for gliders on the same transmitter with a module. But never on the same day.
I have seen people with the same system start to take off a 35 mhz model with the aerial retracted until it is noticed by somebody else. And I have heard of people actually losing a model for the same reason.

Very easy to blame 'interference' for almost any mishap.

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 04/01/2011 11:00:57:
Also I would like to throw in that a lot more people are flying these days maybe?

I got the impression it was the number of accidents to the number of insured ratio, so it would have taken the higher or lower number of flyers into account.

I suppose this has been "on the cards" for a while now. Certainly virtually everyone I know, when they are due a new tranny, has gone 2.4. I can only think of one clubmate who has replaced their Tx with a 35MHz model in the last 2 years. So, if we say a regularly used Tx lasts, say 5 years?, and 2.4's been arrive for that long anyway, we can probably expect 35MHz to be an increasingly rare sight. Add to this the fact that I haven't seen a single beginner with 35MHz kit in well over a year now and that just compounds things.

On the Pilot Error question I think most of us would a agree that the most common cause for crashes, by a large margin, is running out of height, speeds and ideas all at the same time!

BEB

I heard last night the both the LMA and BMFS have stated that only 2.4GHz will be used for front line public displays.

If that is so I guess it was inevitable. I was at Much Marcle where in just one slot two 35 mhz models were lost and another had a narrow escape, resulting in the suspension of 35 mhz flying for the rest of the display.

That said, people still fly 35 mhz in that vicinity but I guess in this H&S conscious age the governing bodies have to be seen to take every reasonable available precaution

I'd still very happily use mine in "lesser" models if the occasion arose, - its as reliable as it always was, before 2.4 came along (and with far less risk of interference at the average field now that 35 mhz usage has really dropped off) but its obviously going to wither on the vine. When the point comes when I have enough 2.4 receivers to not need it any more then that'll be it

Edited By IanN on 04/01/2011 23:51:18

My son (now 28), started flying 2 1/2 years ago, when I returned to the hobby. As soon as he could afford it, he bought a DX6i for his Wot 4, and used this to pass his SAA Bronze last March. In late April, he wrote off his Wotty (along with the engine and all the gear except two servos) and blamed the radio. He then bought a used Futaba 35MHz set, and uses this on all his I.C. models. He'll only trust his Spektrum Tx with electric models.
He's now on his fourth Wotty and still swears by his 35MHz set. People, huh?