Super Air U/C repair?

Hi,

Well I got up to the flying field yesterday, for the first time in weeks.  The flying was a bit "rusty" as a result, and I'm ashamed to say that after just two flights, my Black Horse Super Air is now damaged!

I met the ground early as I was coming in to land, and one U/C leg has been ripped out.  It's quite repairable, but I'd be interested to hear how you experienced chaps would approach the repair.

What's happened is that a hardwood bearer which is glued in to a cutout in the wing ribs has been broken.  I'd like to replace the entire piece of wood (which is about 150 mm X 20 mm wide) but of course it is glued  firmly in to the reinforced wing ribs.  I've removed an area of the wing sheeting to be able to get at it, but I'm at a loss to know how to tackle it for the best now.

All suggestions will be very gratefully received!

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

Thanks for the very quick replies chaps!

Peter:  I too am surprised at how well the bearer appears to be glued in (for an ARTF)!.  The bearer has split lengthwise - the top surface, into which the saddle clamps which hold down the U/C leg, splitting away from the lower section, which remains glued into the ribs.

I'm anxious to avoid doing any more damage to the wing ribs in removing the remains of the bearer.  The ribs escaped unscathed apart from one clean split which has been repaired with cyano.

In that case I would suggest prising the split areas apart and flooding the crack withn glue. Don't use superglue as the fit will not be perfect enough for that to work well.

Ues either aliphatic resin wood glue (or PVA but I am not fond of that) or you could use epoxy and apply heat witha heat gun to thin it and  make it flow then clamp the two parts together.

Clamping could be done with longer screws right through both sections of wood and thes elonger screws could then be used to holt the U/C in place afterwards.

The less chopping about that one has to do, the better.

With the lower part being firmly attached glueing them toigether is the way that I would go.

Don't for get, when replacing the sheet fit butt staps under the existing sheet to bridge the joints where the new sheet goes. This is stronger and easier than trying chamfer the sheet at the join.

the idea still a goer,    if there is room in front of the wing,  its a simple job to retro fit a ply floor,    as for models from a few years back,  have a look at the currant crop of aerobatic ships,    extras, caps, staudachers,     all with a little tiddy wheel at the rear, and the undercart exactly where i suggested,      there is one thing for sure with the position you have it in now---its gonna break again---maybe

Alan is right, it is much easier to repair the bottom of the fuselage than a wing.

When I get someone with a trainer, i.e. Arising Star etc. I make them coinvert to tail dragger and fit elastic bands to hold the U/C on. That way ity just flips back on landing. Not quite so good for a low wing model as the wheels can dent the wing.

Tail draggers handle rough ground far better. I taught one farmer off a stubble field and the a ploughed, harrowed and finally rolled field while waiting for his wheat to come up. The nose wheel just dug in all the time.

Not only is Alan right, I've seen it done and is probably the way it is done at my club, out of the box.  When I saw the thread this lunchtime, I was going to come back tonight and make the same suggestion, so it must be the best way to do it

Thanks very much guys, much appreciated.  Alan, when I said "models from a few years back were trikes" I wasn't generalising!  The Super Air started out life as a trike I think, but somewhere along the line became a tail-dragger.  You make a very good point anyhow and I must consider my options now.

Cheers,

Tim.