HP Engines

heinkel

Advert

Know a little about these engines, interesting high quality motor. Vertical rotary valve in head driven by a shaft. They made an 0.21 as well. Not very powerful.

The only place I know of for spares is Mecoa in California, they used to make the engine under licence. I have their catalogue some where, but try Googling Mecoa.

Heinkel

I wouldn't bother trying to get spares from Mecoa, they are notoriously unreliable to deal with.

The HP four strokes are interesting (I have a 21) but not very powerful for their size (and weight).

They are quiet runners, probably due the Aspen rotary valve and the low power output.

The 45 should be good in a vintage model like a Junior 60 or a Buccaneer.

Bert

Hello Hienkel. Hp four tsroke  engines came in a 21, 49 and a rare 60 size . The 49 is bigger than a modern 60 fs and half as heavy again ! As said they are underpowered for their size and weight.  The quality of the originals was excellent but cant comment on the american licence jobs. Not really a practical engine unless you fancy  a vintage model  ,junior sixty or similar. John Haytree may be able to sort some spares for you
His number is  01626 852 330 . He works part time now so you may have to try a couple of times to contact him , he is very helpful and knowlegable . Hope you get it running ok .
regards

My understanding is that John Haytree has retired and has sold off his stuff.

You could try:

Haydn Severne
01908 319752

Incidentally HP also did a 0.25  in both aero (I had one) and a car version with a heat sink head and a sliding carb (I had one of those too).

Bert

I spoke to him last year when he told me he had gone part time and would only answer the phone on Mondays to Wednesdays - I've checked his number today  (01626 852330) which now says "this line does not accept incoming calls", so I'd imagine this might indicate that he's retired since my last contact.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/01/2011 15:21:15

Nothing to do with aeroplanes but, i have just found down the shed an H P Gold Cup marine 40 engine complete with flywheel, i honestly had forgotten all about it !! came across a HGK.61 glow,a diesel with no markings on it whatsoever, but quite large, a Rossi .61 with a slide carb, Irvine .20 brand new, a Cox .049 very old but still in it's poly wrap unused, a few other engines that are old but in good condition, amazing what you can find, and i was only looking for a fuel tank for my Stampe !!!!
Regards
Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a HP 21 a long time ago. We used it for club20. It was a good schnuerle ported motor. Until this engine we had the veco 19 which was much less powerfull. Thanks to that motor the flying speed increased. After a while it was replaced by the ops 21 which was much more powerfull ( and expensive).

Hi Heinkel!

I have four HP VT (vier takt or four stroke) engines. Two 21s, a 25 and a 49. They later bored out the 49 to produce a 61; the 25 is an overbored 21. Yes they're heavy and not particularly powerful but they are very quiet and you match the model to the power of the engine don't you, not complain that the engine isn't powerful enough! I ran the 49 in a Pupeteer for years and it flew it nicely. The 21 needs a vintage job, or a small scale aircraft. I have one in a Super Scorpian. The take off is a bit laboured but it gets there. The 49 would suit a 6ft (1.8metre) Telemaster 40!

Mecoa (Model Engine Comany of America) is the only place that I'm aware of which sells spares for these. They prefer to run on fuel with at least 20% oil in it. Mecoa recommend castor oil. Whatever you do don't try running yours on standard four stroke brew as that only contains 15% oil and I ran a piston ring on a 21 in a Junior 60 many years ago through running the engine on standard four-stroke fuel.They also prefer at least 10% nitro.

When first produced, the 49 did not have a silencer but I bought one from Mecoa as well as the piston and ring for the 21. They were fairly expensive, (but cheaper than a new engine!) and I don't recall Mecoa being unreliable. The prop nut is an ordinary metric thread on the Austrian version as far as I'm aware, but Mecoa may have changed things for American tool boxes!.

I've just checked on their website, www.mecoa.com and they have good stocks of spares for the HP VT 49, including the silencer at $26 which I didn't think was too bad. There is also an exploded view of the engine on the website.

HP also made a range of two-stroke and boat engines including a few twins. These were pretty powerful in their day.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 31/01/2011 17:41:31

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 31/01/2011 17:51:44

• 1 month later...
Last Thursday I took my Super Scorpian to the flying field. The engine started but sounded awful, one wag compared it with a Sopwith Camel. Nevertheless it flew. I am fortunate at my club to have several retired Rolls Royce engineers amongst its membership. Back on the ground, they diagnosed a worn rear crankshaft bearing. The crankcases on these engines are split horizontally and easily taken apart with an Allen key so it was the work of less than ten minutes to remove the bearings from the crankshaft.

Yesterday I went to my local branch of BML-Hayley and asked for the price of replacement bearings. The rear bearing cost 76p (!) and the front one an outrageous £3.63 plus VAT. I bought three sets in case I need new bearings for the other small HP VT engines I own.

I was assured that these were of good quality. Time will tell.

By the way, concerning the alleged lack of power of these engines, I had the 21 in a Junior 60 yeas ago. It would barely lift it off the ground but was ok once in the air. When replaced with the 25, take-offs were fine.

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 05/03/2011 10:35:17