Loudspeakers in workshop

Ernie

Advert

It's a long way to go to turn the volume up and down.
I've got my daughters cast off Radio/CD player. I take a cordless telephone handset wtih me, I get a call when meals are ready, Ive tried ringing Mrs Mogs when I want tea/coffee but this is usually this is met with " GET IT YOURSELF"

MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 is what MP3 stands for...It is a digital audioencodingand compression format,basically something to squash music filesmaking them very small.
No 4 tracks andcassetteshere!!!

... Actually the regulations say not.
Although it would work technically you would need an isolation transformer at both ends to meet regulations.
This is due to lighting strikes etc, where the potential of one building can be raised about the other. If your in the building then you rise and fall with the building, but the other building connected by a solid cable would not, hence the computer of speaker could rise relative to their building in a lighting strike.
This is why phones and network connections have isolation transformers or fibre.

Posted by Hamish McNab on 22/01/2011 08:50:57:
Really intrigued Andy. What regulations would they be and would it need to be Part P notified?
Yes, I am interested to know too. What about the mains connection? and the mains to a shed or separate garage? My phone connection comes direct from a junction box 300m away from the house, then runs all through the house before it gets to a phone/modem

@Hamish and Steve W-O
I have a copy of the 17th Regs in the office, however I have a copy of the older 16th Regs here.
There are many applicable sections, 130-04,541-542 for example.
411-02-02.
In principle one should not make a secondary connection to another building unless it is covered by the same earthing arrangements, or it is isolated. The guiding principle is where the fault currents might flow.
We should remember that mostly our sheds require proper earthing arrangements.
If we called these speakers portable appliances we could use a double insulated approach.

Posted by Andy Harris on 22/01/2011 16:57:17:
@Hamish and Steve W-O
I have a copy of the 17th Regs in the office, however I have a copy of the older 16th Regs here.
There are many applicable sections, 130-04,541-542 for example.
411-02-02.
In principle one should not make a secondary connection to another building unless it is covered by the same earthing arrangements, or it is isolated. The guiding principle is where the fault currents might flow.
We should remember that mostly our sheds require proper earthing arrangements.
If we called these speakers portable appliances we could use a double insulated approach.
I don't agree with your interpretation, ie the supply to my shed is connected via an earth leakage trip, and is earthed both through the armour of the cable, and the earth wire within that cable.
That could be said to agree with your post above, but then your original disagreement with the speakers would not be consistent.
We don't know how the power is connected to the OP's shed, so any comment on that is unfair. Maybe it is on a plug in extension, which changes the situation anyway.
Lets rather hear how running a speaker extension, or audio line extension breaches the regulations as first stated

Steve
It depends on how you interpret the signal going to the speakers.
If the signal is less that 50V between conductors or earth it is SELV. If it can go above 50V WRT earth in the shed then it falls under the regulations. If the cable is strung between the two buildings its an effective lightning conductor - definitely within the regulations.
If we measure the resistance of the signal wires to ground and it is less than 3000ohms then it falls under the regulations. The output impedance of the PC amp should fall below this.
If the power available between the conductors is enough to cause a spark then in falls under the regulations,
Of course your shed meets the regulations.
This is a pretty academic discussion until someone has to pass an installation. I would say that most professional electricians I work with would not be happy with this arrangement.
Before your phone connection gets to a modem it should go through the BT master socket which contains an arrestor. The first part of the modem circuit will be a 2Kv isolation device.
It is possible that the 17th regs have some relaxation from the 16th but I doubt it!