HELP

Mike Morcher

Advert

Posted by Simon B on 21/01/2011 12:46:58:
With an 800mAh battery?
Will probably overheat the battery, and will have a flight time of 2-3 minutes.
I got the impression he just wants to find a motor to use with the existing parts.

Yes, but its a 25oz plane hence he needs about 130w min and preferably 160w+, on a 3s battery thats around 15 amps so as you say a 800 mah battery even a 25c oneis not really sufficient. But the whole power train is probably too weak for that size and weight of plane. A minimum1300 mah min battery would probably be required.
Running the exisitng battery at 10c is only going to give 80w or so and on that plane that would be 50w per pound, well below what is considered reasonable (100w/lb) for good performance.

I think it will fly OK on 100W, assuming he doesn't want high performance.
Unfortunately, we don't know why it is lacking in power. Won't it fly, or wont it perform?.
I think more info is needed before he goes out and replaces everything.
we don't even know what type of motor it has!

I flew a similar sized model on a 800mah lipo and 140w motor, but I think the ESC will definitely need upgrading unless the plane is constantly to be flown at the power limits constantly. On 11.1v assuming the battery is giving full voltage out (unlikely for any length of time, you'd need at least 9A to get 100w out.

Posted by Simon B on 21/01/2011 14:25:01:
I flew a similar sized model on a 800mah lipo and 140w motor, but I think the ESC will definitely need upgrading unless the plane is constantly to be flown at the power limits constantly. On 11.1v assuming the battery is giving full voltage out (unlikely for any length of time, you'd need at least 9A to get 100w out.
I agree, but at 10V and 10A the battery is at half its rating at 100W.
On your next post, I agree on the ESC, that was my first comment, the ESC is gong to be the limiting factor

Hi All,

I hope I am in the right place. I have a couple of problems that I hope someone can help with.

I have recently managed to get my hands on a second hand J Perkins Electric Sopwith Camel. It's in lovely condition but I did not get the manual. Therefore, can anybody help me with the following:

What motor and battery should I be using and where is the Cof G located?

Regards

Tony