My scratch build

Tony Bennett

Tony,
I agree with Tom, try test gliding it over some long grass? Never give up, the fun part is what you are doing now. When you do get it to fly it will be a good feeling.
It does look 'right' so I see no reason why it shouldn't fly with a bit of 'tinkering', its worth checking the wings for warps, so easy to do with a high aspect ratio wing.

Could you take a photo of it side on, so we can see the wing incidence etc?

Very nice looking

Rich

well we took it out for another go.
still will not lift off, so i put on full power a bit of up elevator and lobbed it into the air.

dived straight into the ground and smashed the wing and tail off.

the wing was just not giving any lift, must have done something fundamentally wrong with the wing design.

oh well.

we will save what we can and turn it into something else.

back to the drawing board.

i managed to repair the tail, though the wing might be a wee bit harder.

put a set of polystyrene wings that i have from a bungie glider and took it over the field again.
still wont rog.
so the next field is 3 foot high grass, full power and lobbed it into the wind.
it flew sort of.
fluffs and wallows in any form of head wind, so it needs more power.
i will try to make a new wing at some point and try another motor.

Tony,
If it is wallowing it may be too much dihedral, but it could be a dutch roll and may need more vertical fin area.
The main thing it has flown, you can go from there

Well done

Rich

well
i managed to repair the wing.
i had to cut about 4 inches out of the main section and re join the ends.

took it out to the long grass for another go.

full power, lobbed into the wind and she flew.
not briliantly but it was a flight.
there is enough power for a electric glider but the undercarrage has to come off as its just drag.
plus i think the wind was a bit too strong today.

in the end i got about 10. 30 sec flights out of it before she landed badly and broke the wing again.

new plan of action is to repir the main section and fit the tips on flat this time with only the very tips angled, then for strength i will plank the wing instead of tissue paper.

so thats me busy for a few days then.

but it FLEW.

yeah the wind was a bit strong but i had got to the point of "its going to fly or else" so i took it out.

some big gusts didn't help, but it managed to some extent, i think with a bigger motor it would punch through the wind a bit better.

mk2 will be ready in a few days

well the new wing is nearly finished.
i have bodged one up out of the bits left over from the last wing and some new bits.

just waiting for the glue to dry and then i can paint it, stick it on and try to break it again.

have taken the undercarriage off completely and will just hand launch from now on, it has a folding prop so i should not bust it too easily this time.

winds picking up again by the looks of it.
so maybe not tonight then.

Tom,
We have got our autogyro Fly-in this weekend and I want to go out and test my REX design (Rich's EXperiment). This was the model that I experimented on to 'crack' a 2 bladed fin only model which assisted me in the design of my Nellie. I have also made up a new motor mount for Nellie which has dropped the motor about 20mm. If all goes to plan I want to try and get these models onto my new transmitter.
Will also take my Coquette out to calm the nerves first.

Have fun with the pipe stick model and I look forward to a flight video

Rich

wing rebuilt and ready for a test.
out to the long grass.
power on
hand launch and

crash.
just dived straight into the ground and smashed into bits.

no lift again
weird.
it flew with the polyhedral but not without.

so now its bin time and start something else.

then to finish off my evening my stick decided to fold up one wing while in mid flight.
50ft plunge into the ground.
stick before crash.
more repairs.

Tony,

I doubt whether the polyhedral had anything to do with why it did fly, more likely to be a bit more wing area with the extra tips.
If the wing incidence was correct it must have been just too nose heavy.

Never mind, we all have the same experience from time to time. For me that is the driving force.

Tom,
Yes all went well yesterday evening, went out a again tonight to re trim some others. Nice evening bar for the May Bugs!..the seagulls were having a feast!

Rich

i'm not bothered by the smash to be honest.
just puzzled cos all i did was flatten the polyhedral out, the wing had the same area as before.
didn't alter the incidence from last time.
less wind as well.
took the undercarriage off and re balanced it.so the cog was the same as last time.

never mind.
onwards and upwards.

Hi Tony.
The stick wing failure can only be caused by pulling to much G eg to much elevator during tight turn ,or recovery from excessive speed . when flown out doors this model is only designed for gentle maneuvers at low power settings .Beefing up the wing with minimum weight increase should make the model more resilient to higher air loads.
On the positive side it was the most successful flying session to date and you achieved the ROG .