My scratch build

Tony Bennett

• 3 months later...
Tony.
Polyhedral as said looks right ,i would place my bet that it will fly very well.Don't over do the rudder movement and pick a nice calm day for maiden.
Sorry x posted try a hand launch with out power it may need trimming.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 19/05/2011 22:32:40

Edited By tom wright 2 on 19/05/2011 22:33:34

Edited By tom wright 2 on 19/05/2011 22:35:55

need to sort out the power to weight ratio a bit more.
cog seems about right, so we shall see what happens tomorrow evening if the wind stays away.

as i said if it crashes it crashes, its only cost me about £10 in total so far.
any parts left over can go into scratch 2. he he

Tony 80 to 100 watts should do ,by the way what is the AUW ?and have you checked the power draw on a watt meter?...........Err the props not on backwards ...........is it ? easy to do with those slow fly jobs. Just checked the photo it looks fine ,The power off hand launch should tell you a lot ,as BEB suggests over long grass .Its not how little the model has cost its your design that makes it valuable.
Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 20/05/2011 00:49:09

Edited By tom wright 2 on 20/05/2011 01:08:10

put a new prop on it this morning, its slightly smaller but has a greater pitch angle.
she shoots across the living room floor now (minus wings)

just need to wait till this evening when the school field will be empty and see if it will rog from the running track.
might cut down the rudder throw on the tx a bit as well.
this rc lark is all new to me so its all fun.

as i said there is no money in the plane just a small bit of time, so a new build wont be a problem if it all goes woops.

need to get used to rc again before i try to fly the "fireflash"

its moved on a long way from my simple single channel plane and jetex free flight models from my childhood.

"Jetex" now thats a blast from the past Tony. You are giving your age away now  LoL. Please persevere with the Poly. I am sure, as already posted by better people than I, that it only needs tweaking. Hand launch a good idea Tony. Cheers FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 20/05/2011 10:54:41

The wind conditions need to be dead calm for the maiden Tony ,from your previous posts it sounds like you haven't flown an rc model before, if that's so a hand launch test glide ,followed by trimming as required , should be the way to go before using power.

Most power assisted gliders have a tendency to nose up under power, so when the glide is right apply low power and hand launch , if it does not stall dive or turn noticeably ,the a ROG would be the next thing to try.

Or better still team up with a local experienced rc pilot..

Good Luck.
Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 20/05/2011 14:20:41

Right all you need now is some data on that motor /gear box and a watt meter , this could avoid the possibility of cooking the motor ,lipo or esc.
In the mean time best to keep motor runs short ,and check temps after every run .
Sorry if you already know all this stuff ,just trying to help ,but your £5 model could not be bought for less than £60 so its worth taking things slowly ,in the hope that damage can be avoided . Me and others are convinced its capable of excelent performance  .
Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 20/05/2011 16:55:55

Edited By tom wright 2 on 20/05/2011 16:57:19