Productive or Destructive day?

Well it was a beautiful day here yesterday. I was off for the day so flying was on the agenda. Filled up the flask, loaded the car up and headed out. Had the strip all to myself, nice and sunny and barely a breath of wind. Rigged up my Tiger Moth and new Piper Cub for its maiden flight. Maiden went well after a bit of messing about with the engine (still not entirely happy with it). Had a number of nice flights with it. Lovely slow flybys and some nice gentle aeros didn't want to push it too much. So, had a break for a coffee, then got the Tiger ready. Had 4 flights with this. I really must get round to getting another servo extension lead and then I can get the differential sorted. However on the last landing, not too heavy, the undercarriage came apart. No damage to wings and fuse but I'll have to learn how to solder now! So in a bit of a huff I started derigging it and promptly managed to turn round and kick my Piper Cub squarely in the side of the cabin.....................................
So today I have 2 planes to repair!! Good job it has just started raining!

Andy

Advert

It was a good job I was by myself. The air turned rapidly blue! Well at least the damage to the cub wasn't too bad. Already fixed it this morning. Off to get some solder and flux for this afternoons entertainment in teaching myself to solder up a wire undercarriage

Andy - there is hope! I've just done my first ever piano wite u/c soldering this afternoon and it worked first time !!!!!!! I'm so chuffed!!

(Admittedly its only a small gauge job done with binding first with fine copper wire, electronic solder, an 80 watt iron and flux but it is solid and it's mine!) I even put some heat shrink over the joint to posh it up!

Best of luck ................

TW

Nothing to do with aeromodelling, but since you asked...

We, that is Plummet and missis Plumett a.k.a. Flappit decided to treat ourselves to a new bigger bed. Either the last one had shrunk, or something else, but anyway, we wanted a bigger bed. Flappit had a few days off work, and so we arranged to have it delivered while she was off.

Since it was bigger than the old one we needed to reorganise (organise) the bedroom, and we decided to rip out an old diy built-in wardrobe that we had bought with the house - which meant replacing skirting and the like, and then we decided to rip up the old tatty carpet and see what the floor boards were like.

Bed arrives thursday. We assemble it. 2.00AM friday morning I turn over on bed and it creaks horrribly and I get a sinking feeling. One of the wooden slats under the mattress has broken. I find a pieced of ply - DIY ply, not of course valuable modelling ply, and cover the gap. We sleep, aware of the creakings beneath us. Friday morning Flappit gets up and sits on the side of the bed, and another slat goes.

We ring up the bed shop, all apologetic - the manufacturers are shipping replacements and a few spares to us as fast as they can. I find more ply and bodge her side of the bed.

Friday evening. We do a bit with a local am-dram society. We go along to a rehearsal because we are working back-stage on it. I am doing my stuff when another bloke asks me to help with a bit of scenery. We try to move it, and it dislodges a loudspeaker from a shelf, and my forehead saves it from falling all the way to the floor, but starts exuding red stuff. With my hand clasped to the gash, Flappit takes us to the local A&E, where I am given running repairs with bits of sticky-tape and cyano. (It was amazing how little it hurt!)

So on Sunday we do more bedroom sorting, ditto Monday. We decide that we have done enough. I spot a nail that is sticking up a bit in the floor, so pull it out. This makes the floorboard uneven. They are old and dry, so I do not want to risk splitting them (further) so I plan to replace the nail with a couple of screws.

I drill a couple of pilot holes, and drive in the screws. As I finish the last twist of the last screw all the lights go out.

I lift the floorboard, and find a couple of cables run JUST below the floorboards. I had managed to drill through one. Out with the chocolate blocks and insulting tape. Repair is easy. Then I see that I also managed to drill, or the original pratt of an electrician had managed to put a nail through the other cable. There was not enough slack it that one to allow a repair without taking up the next floorboard. It was a swine, but came up, revealing that it had been split already.

Repair done. Putting the floorboards down is a struggle because of the split. I end up gluing and nailing the floorboard together before I put it down again.

Today however has been productive. I have been downloading, editing, and assembling sound effects for the play. If you are very unlucky I will post the room full of assorted clocks all chiming four at the same time.

Cheers from Plummet.

PS. the gash on my forehead is a straight vertical line. It is not Z shaped. Is it still called a dueling scar when your opponent was a piece of audio equipment?

So at least it's not just me being a complete numpty. All repairs done, although the soldering could be described as a tad agricultural, and the engine in the cub tuned a bit better (much to the annoyance of the neighbors). The only trouble is I'm at work for the next 7 days so I'll have to wait until next Thursday to try 'em out.

Andy