Trainer plan advice needed

Simon B

Advert

Anything with high wing,weight as low as possible in the fuselage a small amount of dihedral & of course ailerons ,That way it will have inherent stability and you can turn using rudder to start with (a couple or so flights) and then turn properly using ailerons & elevator .Best of both worlds ,That way .if you lose orientation just let go the sticks and let natural forces kick in, then carry on .No panic IMHO
Simples

I believe that Ben Buckle's Novice flies well and would lend itself to electric conversion.

Shame you are looking for a small model as LS Wigdor's "Big Wig" would have ticked all of the boxes. Plan no: RM 50 in the My Hobby Store catalogue. LS Wigdor was the doyen of early British aeromodellers.

I feel that wing loading is the key to a successful trainer. The problem with a small one is that you have to build very light to avoid a fast flying (for its size) model which isn't easy to learn on.

Conversely, the very small light model is affected badly by turbulence and wind effects and tends to have difficult ground handling, which is why I like to advise beginners to go as large as possible. I realise you want to keep costs down but a nasty incident due to a twitchy model getting quickly beyond the pupil's capability can virtually double the cost at a stroke! Worse, some people will get disheartened quickly if they are struggling and may be put off learning.

The best model I've instructed on lately is the World Models Super Frontier Senior 80" trainer which flies well on a wide range of engines from a .46 up - my current pupil's one has a Magnum 90! Nice low wing loading, easy for the pupil to see what he's doing to it and very stable but adequately manoueverable. Also it's a delight to land.

Couldn't agree more Martin.
Of course, this large size criteria is also the reason I still find myself recommending IC trainers to absolute beginners..... really large electric models still suffer from relatively high cost, not to mention poorer duration and turn around times. Conversely, if someone is adamant that they only want t to go the leccy route ( like my current pupil ) then the criteria needs changing a little from ideal - he has just bought the new ST Discovery, so we will see how that performs.
Sorry slightly OT.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/02/2011 12:56:59

IC requires a fortune in extra bits and pieces (starters etc), so i'm afraid as much as people want to try and get me to try and change the spec, I want to go down a lightweight cheap leccy route, which will mean flying on calm days. I appreciate the advice, but a 40 sized model is going to involve several hundred pounds of cost, which is completely out of the question.

As there are many people being seduced by the spark side you might be surprised at the price of support equipment at club Bring and Buys these days. Of course it's totally up to you but if last year is anything to go by, limiting your friend to flying on calm days might extend his learning time significantly.

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/02/2011 14:03:55

I also have to factor in the cost of reupholstering the car from fuel etc. I'm sometimes baffled why IC enthusiasts seem so determined that the electric route is so anathema to them...

I'm 'limiting' my friend because he doesn't want to spend much. I've got a simulator for rainy days.

My motto is if it has wings it's fun so please don't think that despite the oily pools in my boot I'm against electric flight in any way - I have, do and will continue to build and fly both - and even the odd one with no motive power at all!

I think that all I (and Timbo) are saying is that there are still some definite benefits with larger models being powered by i.c. engines - unless cost is no object!

However, I have to admit that I still find something illogically and undefinably "right" with a model using a fire breathing (deliberately!) living power source...

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/02/2011 15:06:31