Spectrum DX8 or JR DSX9

Owain

Forgot to mention as you are comparing DX8 to DSX9....

For me... for the DX8 price you get quite a lot! DSX9 I think is a bit expensive for what you get... I think!

cheers,

Alan

Advert

i know the dx7 is really out dated when you can't assign switches or in which way they work i only use my dx7 for my helis but throttle hold has to go on aux2 and then to activate you have to move the switch down in the case of an impending crash your throttle hold should be a very quick instinctive movement i ended up turning the switch around manually to make it work. the dx8,i i had a dx6i which is the same case to large and uncomfortable i find in my hands + a friend of mine has sent his back after the transmitter stopped transmitting when the timer alarm was set in vibration his heli just dropped out of the air now that was alarming. my choice would be the dsx9 but only if it had dsmx programmed but better still my futaba ff8 which is a piece of cake to programme. i understand Vecchios problem i did own a 14mz that really tested the grey matter for progamming but the new ff8 is simple and covers all types of flying fixed wing, gliders and helicopters

Thanks for all your comments, they are all appreciated.

I have decided to try the Spektrum DX8 as its cost effective and those of you that have one all say they are very user friendly and have not had any problems.

Picked it up from West Wales Models (http://www.westwalesmodels.co.uk/ ) a couple of days ago and was looking forward to setting it all up.
After getting it home i set up my Hangar 9 Extra 260 27% with ease and was rearing to go within a few hours. I few it yesterday and all went well.
I'm going to try some programming changes over the next few weeks so i'll report back with my conclutions.
I must admit my first impretions are all good.

If you would like to take a look at me flying the Extra take a look on YouTube :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K1E2Ca5yYc
Thanks again for your help.
Owain...

Hi Owain that Extra goes well. Looks like you have a Spektrum jacket too lol.

Have you been on here Spektrum community yet to make sure you have the latest software? There's downloads for some model setups too.

Chris,
Yse I have been on the Spektrum site and downloaded all the updates. That was another factor that swung we to Spektrum rather than JR.
Been flying all day today and my son and I had a ball.

Thanks for your help. All advice appreciated.

Regards,
Owain.....

Hi Owain,

I am a DX8 owner too and had a problem with my transmitter. Just check if yours fine. Sent to them and got it fixed very quickly!

Have a look on my video here

Alan,
Thankfully mine seem all ok. I have checked it and no servo twitching.

The only issue I may have is the time it takes to bind on occasions. I have had to switch the transmitter off and then back on and it then binds with the receiver in a few seconds.

If any one has information of this, and if its considered an issue can you come back to me please?

Cheers,
Owain...

Normal with my DX6i and DX7 - its merely the tx scanning for free channels, and then the almost inevitable delay following acquisition of same before the rx and tx talk to each other.
Best method is to switch on Tx, wait around 5 seconds at least, THEN switch on the rx.

Posted by Chris Bott on 02/03/2011 07:54:21:

Note however, I am not a huge fan of telemetry yet as I have trouble reading it. I need reading glasses but obviously can't fly in them. I tried my varifocals but don't like flying in those either and if I look down at the DX8, it takes a good second to focus. This is far too long not to be looking at the model. So for me, I need another person to read my telemetry if it's to be of any use. The Tx can be set to alarm and or vibrate at whatever telemetry level you like. That is useful.

I fly in variofocals, and its one of my big bugbears having the screen at the bottom of the Tx, I have a Dx6i and a MPX Cockpit Sx (no telemetry) and the timer on Sx is so much easier to glance at. If I was upgrading to telemetry the Tx would have to have the display where it is easy to quickly glance at. I can't understand why manufacturers insist on putting the screen at the bottom of the Tx below the sticks.

• 1 month later...
I've been using the DX8 now for over a month and am very pleased with it. Easy to use, program and monitor what's going on with the telemetry... Have no hesitation in recommending it...

Owain...

If the telemetry is important then don't forget about other manufacturers - Spektrum are far from leading the field in this respect.

Jeti have had telemetry systems for quite some time and of course there's Hitec which have a good range of telemetry devices available and more in the pipeline. For example there's Hitec products at Steve Webb Models which are currently available and these in the states will be here too one day .

FrSky at the cheaper end of the market even have some sort of telemetry.

Ian

• 1 month later...