Spectrum DX8 or JR DSX9

Owain

Hope someone can help settle a debate?

I have returned to the hobby after a long break and can see the technology as well as the models have moved on over the past 20 years. I have bought an electric model and a Spektrum DSX6i for my 12 year old son and am now looking to get a Transmiter for my self and a large scale model with a petrol engine..

Do I get a Spektrum DX8 with telemetry or a JR DSX 9 as JR were always the leading radio manufactures years ago?

Forget the cost issue for a moment as I would like a radio with enough flexibility and technology to see me right for the next 10 years.

I have downloaded both manuals and can see the Spektrum is more intuitive and and appears more user friendly and of course has telemetry? So is the JR out of date?

As a gadget freak the programming on both sets is something I can grasp easily.

Hope you can help? JR or Spektrum.
Over to you... Hope you can help?

Advert

Well, that's another grenade rolled under the door, Owain.....

I'll give you an early, biased, answer - I have a DX8, having used a DX6i for the past couple of years. I've had no issues with either and I'm confident that I have, as much as can reasonably be said, a future-proof Tx now.

I have no experience of JR although they are undoubtedly held in high regard by their followers.

I'll restrict my comment to this - Spektrum have just announced an upgrade from DSM2 to DSMX. I can download the free update from their site, put it on my memory card and update the firmware myself.

If I had a JR set and wanted the DSMX upgrade, it would have to be returned to the distributor for updating (provided MacGregor, JR and Horizon can sort out who is going to do it!). Horizon are charging c.£65 to upgrade the Spekky Tx's so you'll have to take that into account.

The portable memory is a definite advantage, I feel.

Pete.

Hmm, depends I guess on whether you value telemetry, or the extra channel - as thats about the only significant difference. I know some will say that the JR set feels more solid, has a few more knobs and twiddly things etc, but lets be honest...as far as doing the actual job of transmitting your commands to a model - pretty much every modern tx will do the job same as the next one.The DSX9 is DSM2 same as the Spektrum, so mutually compatible with receivers etc, but JR are now using a hopping system of their own for all future Tx units - which is NOT compatible with DSM2.
Will either be 10 years future proof? - I doubt it. #
PS there is no need whatsoever that I can see to bother with the "upgrade" to DSMX, DSM2 is more than satisfactory for our normal everyday use.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/02/2011 23:23:22

I bought a DSX9 Mk2 (50 model memory and backlit display) just after Christmas and flew with it for the first time today. I got it for future use with four servo glider wings. I find it very easy to use having had a JR 2610 and a DX7 (effectively the same transmitters). The rotary selector is a definite improvement over the DX7's rocker switches.

The servo slow function is great for slowing the gear retraction speed on my Alfa Spitfire where they just slammed up and down before! Good gadget!

I have not quite got to grips with how you select the five flight modes using two switches, there are also switch labelling mistakes in the manual that McGregor know about.

There is a big debate on RCGroups about the DX8's apparent inability to control crow braking, I did not follow that one to the end.

JR transmitters have always been respected for their glider mixes and I think that swayed it for me.

GB

I have no experience of the dx8 so i can only comment on the JR dsx9 the JR stuff has allways been built to last and has a quality feel to it that no other TX gives IMO i suppose it come down to these questions
1, do you want telemetry, personally i have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever
2, do you want to fly 4 servo wing gliders in the future (whilst the DSX9 is not so good here the DX8 is far worse)
3, are you really bothered about DSX system at least with teh DSX9 you can whip the module out and stick another one in

my own personal opinion is that the dx8 is ugly and looks a bit childish but hey who am i to talk i bought an 11X ZERO.....child!!!

Thanks for the posts so far...
So my summery is the JR looks and feels more robust and solid where the Spektrum would be more user friendly with easy software upgrades? I don't think i will be going along the "4 servo wing gliders in the future" so not going to invest in a DSX12...

Please do keep your comets coming as I'm building up my knowledge...

As is being aluded to over several posts here, it really depends on where you are going to go with the type of models you build. That will take some digging on your part as to the types of mixes and model types on offer in both. Don't discount the extra channel either. I have a Kyosho Spitfire 90, I guess its not an unusual type of model to see at the patch but that uses all 9 channels on my TX!

I have a PCM9XII with a spekky module in it, so essentially a DSX9. First class feel to the set and (touch wood) reliable so far. The Spekky sets to me do feel a bit lower quality but do the job of transmitting your commands perfectly well.... but then so does any other make of set yet we seem to generally stick to the big names. I think the feel of the set is more important than a lot give credit for, you have to feel comfortable with it in your hand and the positioning of switches etc, otherwise you will not be as relaxed as you could be flying your models.
Try holding both and see which suits you best. Also compare available mixes, model types and consider which of these you will need goign forward. Its a tough choice!

Ed

Posted by Lee Smalley on 09/02/2011 06:37:52:
3, are you really bothered about DSX system at least with teh DSX9 you can whip the module out and stick another one in

Lee you mention that the DSX9 is modular, I fly PCM9XII with a Jeti Module, so the great solid and smooth feel, but 2.4 with decent telemetry. When I asked if i could fit a Jeti module to the DSX9 I was told it was NOT modular, can you confirm?

Danny,

I have exchange my DX7 over to DX8 and love it to bits.

Telemetry wise;
1. I just love to be able to monitor my flying batteries packs as to know when batteries are at low level and land safe. No more crashes due to batteries low voltage!
2. You can also monitor if flying a petrol engine your ignition battery level which keeps your engine working! So, avoid dead stick flying and again you may avoid a crash.
3. RPM is a option; but helps to keep you getting the best from your engine.

Some other alarms available which are awesome;
Stick position; I.e.: I have a smoke pump and avoid me to turn the transmitter on having this particular switch on!!!! - Another I.e. if you have retracts, etc... very useful.

The radio itself feels very solid and expensive. Endless number of planes as you can save to you SD card, copy and save on your computer. Great stuff.

Flaps now, on the DX8 different from the DX7 you can programme the speed that you want the to move... another great stuff... with the DX7 would shot my Cessna to the sky... difficult to use them... now, DX8 is sorted.

On DX8 you can tell your transmitter which switch is doing what... so easy to programme!!!

As you can see I love my DX8... I have no experince with JRs...some guys in the club like them... I still prefer spektrum

As some people already mention they just realised the DSMX which makes your radio safer!

And perhaps last the online updates make this radio a kind of future prof.

I hope this helps!!!

Alan

I don't see how you can say you prefer spekky tx when you confess you have no experience of jr stuff
Anyway all stuff mentioned apart from telem can be done with Dsx9 and dsmx will not ness make your flying safer I think it's more to do with spekky having something new and a proper hopping system
I don't need telem to tell me what my batt voltage is this should be done at the start of the day as part of your pre flight checks it takes 20 seconds to plug my checker in the switch harness I think telem has an element of emperors new clothes to it I can understand pack voltage for electric motors but other than that it's just new toys for limited use
But that's just me

Edited By Lee Smalley on 09/02/2011 23:33:16

That's fair to say you can check the battery before flying and it's safety, simple and quick. I just crash one of my wot4 due to a dodgy battery and I wonder if I had the telemetry on board to tell me the charge has drop significantly and I could perhaps save my plane.

Regards to have something new, Spektrum spent 5 years developing the technology to improve issues of interference from other radios and frequencies; have a look on Spektrum website where they fly with more than 100 radios on with no interference. (This is a Spektrum statement - not me saying). However, I can say people in the club do complain about interference of all sorts.

Yes, I am a kind of geek!!! and love to test new stuff!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I think my DX8 is fantastic. The programming is just so easy and intuitive.

However it doesn't yet have masses of glider functionality (except see my next post), and the telemetry doesn't yet tell me the mAh used from my leccy flight batteries.
The "yet" is significant though. It is the only transmitter I know that can keep being upgraded by downloading a file from t'internet. It is so easy.
For me, that makes it the most future proof.

Spekky have downloadable setups available for some Parkzone and Heli models, transmitter porgrams set by the model designers. I think this can only expand to more and more models. Some will find this very useful.

Here is a cut n paste from the Spektrum community site. They have a sailplane setup available to download there. I think this shows the glider capabilities and limitations. This was done in answer to some customer requests.

The DX8 is designed to support airplanes and helicopters with sophisticated programming functions and features. Several pilots have requested programming information for full functioning sailplanes and while the DX8 does not have sailplane specific programming, by utilizing the eight available programmable mixes in Airplane mode, the DX8 can be programmed to accommodate most sailplane functions. A sailplane base-line program is now available that can be transferred to your DX8’s model memory using an SD card that provides base programming for a 6-channel sailplane with 4-servo wing offering the following functions:

• Three flight modes-(position 0= Launch, 1= Cruise, 2=Reflex)
  • Adjustable camber- in cruise mode via the rotary knob
  • Independent trims in each flight mode- ideal for optimizing elevator trim settings per flight mode
  • Independent differential- adjustment in each flight mode
  • Crow/ Butterfly mix- Flaps down and ailerons up on the throttle stick programmed to cruise and reflex flight modes
  • Elevator compensation- (linear only) mixed to Crow/ Butterfly in cruise and reflex modes
  • Aileron to flaps- in all flight modes provide full span ailerons
  • Elevator to flaps- in cruise and reflex modes
  • Aileron to rudder- assigned to turn on/ off with the gear switch
  • Throttle stick warning- when turning on the transmitter and the stick is not in the high position

"the telemetry doesn't yet tell me the mAh used from my leccy flight batteries."

On my DX8 I programme alarm based on voltages not on mah!

Personally I'd much rather know throughout the flight how much fuel I'd used and therefore how much I have left, than just get a warning as the voltage finally starts to drop off. This is particularly true with A123 batteries which hold their voltage pretty constant until virtually empty. How about both mAh and Volts? would that be being greedy?

Note however, I am not a huge fan of telemetry yet as I have trouble reading it. I need reading glasses but obviously can't fly in them. I tried my varifocals but don't like flying in those either and if I look down at the DX8, it takes a good second to focus. This is far too long not to be looking at the model. So for me, I need another person to read my telemetry if it's to be of any use. The Tx can be set to alarm and or vibrate at whatever telemetry level you like. That is useful.

Chris,

You don't need to read the telemetry. You can just programme the alarms to blip or vibrate... welcome to telemetry mate!

Now, I can say that I am very happy with my DX8. Looks ans feels solid! Easy to set up and as mention on this forum you can update the transmitter via online.

I have a DX7 before my DX8 and I can say that it's a lot easier to work with as many of the problems with the DX7 limitations have been sorted on this one.

I.e. flaps: on DX8 you can set up the speed on your flaps (air breaks) quick in... as on the DX7 the flaps use to move quite fast and I felt so difficult to work out this on my Cessna for example.... I have mixed with elevator to help to keep the plane straight for landing and sometimes depending on the wind or how fast I was flying it would shot the plane up!!!!

The screen light are also a plus which make a lot more enjoyable and easy to read the screen. As it looks funky too.

Took me ages to work out a simple way to use the throttle cut on Dx7 and lost on channel for it as on the Dx8 is really simple.

On Dx8 is also very simple to programme your switches change things around if you like. The knob is also very useful...

There you go!!!!