Special Issue Feedback

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

David

my copy arrived today and I have whizzed thru it before I head for town, but I had to take time to ask you if you are offering prizes for spotting "deliberate" mistakes such as page 35 caption for the AM 15 ( all AM's were handsome and beautifully colored according to size ) - least I think it is the caption associated with the picture of the legendary ED Bee.

If any one wants one, there is one complete with green tank and fixed to a free flight Envoy hiding in the New Forest ( for about 25 years now ) unless someone has found it, in which case I do want it back,please

John

Got mine today. The first (and only) thing I have looked at so far is the typhoon article and plan. Did I not have another serious idea in mind I would have jumped at the wood and canopy packs. As it is I will have to "sleep on it" for a while.

Good one RCM&E.

The rest of the read will have to wait it's turn as I got some grass cutting at the strip done, non-stop for four and a half hours and I feel a bit Knacked. It was long that grass. Wet, wet, for weeks, and even sleet yesterday in Glen Nevis.

Alex Whittaker sums up why we like engines so much as opposed to electric power. I said much the same thing some time ago in another thread.

Somehow I feel that anyone who collects electric motors would have to be a total anorak. Might even suffer from Anoraksia Nervosa of the brain.

I bet Alex knows the difference between an ED Bee and an AM 15. Who goofed?

I was heartened to see in the 'Special' that there were three articles on built up models including the free plan of what looks to be a nice model from Tony Nijhuis and a write-up of a mouth watering engine, the OS IL300 - made a worthwhile read instead of yet another cloned .40 2-stroke . Peter Lowe's article on the Bristol Fighter emphasised a number of times the satisfaction to be gained from buildling. Good for you RCM&E for attempting to show that modelling can be much more than opening a box today and flying tomorrow.

An excellent magazine with quite a few interesting detailed articles, especially Alex Whittaker's amusing trip down memory lane. My only gripe was the waste, in my opinion, of 4 valuable pages describing a slot together, profile, 18" span SE5 - oh well, from small beginnings...................... as they say. 

I have now read mine & enjoyed it immensley. Alex Whittaker really is a top bloke & his irrational love of oily, noisy, smelly, etc., etc, engines almost exactly mirrors my experiences & feelings, with the exception that my first engine, a DC Sabre was relatively easy to start & set a love affair with diesels that continues to this day! Glows came much later for me. As well as the ED Bee/AM mix up, has anyone noticed the "DC Merlin" photo in the Ron Moulton (another top bloke!) section is actually a Sabre? My first engine repairs (crank for a Cox Pee Wee) also set me on the path of building my own engines. As for the rest of the issue, it is good to see a few 'real' kits being built (i'm not sure whether the Bristol looks best uncovered or not!) & the Nigel Hawes electric article was excellent. I never thought I would see a .60 size warbird such as the Typhoon being given away as a free plan, but would agree the wood pack seems a bit expensive-if I ever build it it will be from scratch (cheapskate) All in all a top issue-well done!!

Excellent special issue - plenty of informative articles. I especially liked the explanation of 3D flight manoeuvres. Returning to the hobby at the wrong side of 50 I'm not sure I'll ever be able to stir the sticks well enough to perform any but I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Steve

(Off to the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition soon to pick up some material to try making Mark Lubbock's Midge diesel as a winter project - another first if I can manage it). 

Since suscribing to the magazine I have been somewhat dissapointed at the quality of the articles - good words but little substance.  The special is something different though. Good articles - good depth of coverage  - first one thats kept my interest up from front to back cover.  Can we keep up this level of excellence in future editions.

• 2 weeks later...
First Class.  I am just getting into electric flight ( after about 40 years of oily engines ) so the articles regarding battery/motor/plane selection were enlightening and very clearly written.  More please!  By the way, I have tried to subscribe to your offer of 3 issues for £1 followed by £8.99/month by d.d using the address printed i.e. www.suscriptions.co.uk/rcm/E546 but I can't get it to work.  I've been in touch via. e-mail and was told that the problem has been fixed but I still can't access that site using that address.  I decided to go that route because I tried 3 times by phone only to be put in a queue where I eventually got fed up and gave up.  My assessment therefore :  Mag - excellent  Subsciption system- very poor.  I'll still buy the mag though!

David, I have just realised why the url didn't work for me.  When I said that it now works ( see my last post ) it was because I pasted the url in your response into my address bar and lo and behold it all worked.  however the url as published in the October Special has an extra "S" i.e subscriptions and therefore still won't work for anyone copying it from the mag.  Best regards    Mike Warren

I have mixed feelings about the "Special Edition"

I really enjoyed the article on the OS straight 4 engine - what a jewel!

On the other hand the obvious mistakes with photos and captions in the A W article about engines was off putting (The Bee captioned as an AM15 and the discussion about the HP 61 showing a picture of an HP40)

As a biplane fan I enjoyed David's article on the Smith MiniPlane and also found the article on painting pilots to be interesting even though I have never tried it.

The floatplane article was also good and makes me fancy giving it a try, we have a site local to me that is used by floatplanes.

Then of course there is the Typhoon plan but that has received much discussion elsewhere so I wont go there.

Conclusion - like the curates egg!

David

the special was very good, loved trying the 3d manouvres,on the pc ,totaly hopeless but great fun.could we have the same with basic moves ,eg knife edge,with the stick positions shown. 

The lectrickery articals were great for dimbo's like me,it started to make some sense at last of this 2ps 3ps and watt fors.