Club Rules

Paul  Williams

Lee it's not a case of what "some" of the models in the 7-20Kilo range fly like it's a case of what damage a model of that size will do in the wrong hands if it gets out of control

We have rules but they all focus mainly on safety mainly. There will always be some one who has a different opinion to yours what you need to agree on is what is safe and what is not safe. A big model or a small model they can all go wrong a 90 sized heli which is out of control is a more dangerous than a plane in my opinion. It is down to the people flying to agree what is safe flying and if you can not agree you bring in rules to enforce the safe flying but it is all designed to promote the enjoyment of every one on the flying site.
I have no issue telling some one A,B or C if I think their flying is of concern to me some take it well and some not so well but at the end of the day if I do nothing I am failing as a club member does not matter what certificate they have the only one they must have is insurance.
Failing that change clubs or go solo or fly when the "jobs worths" are not there (all clubs have them)

sadly the deaths and the serious accidents have been caused mostly by aircraft under the 7kg limit
anyone remember the electric glider breaking up at woodvale and breaking the poor lads legs bet that was not over 7kg, so the danger is always there, i dont see the point of banning it for anyone who does not have a B, but thats just a personal opinion, if my club had such a rule then i would just get my B anyway, sometimes i think some rules are made out of envy rather than common sense!

The CAA take it seriously enough to have specifically legislated for 7 - 20 kg models. As you can't legislate on a sliding scale there has to be a point defined somewhere and this is where they feel significant danger from uncontrolled RC models begins.

We can argue the point but I'm sure they didn't pluck the figure out of the air (no pun intended) without some serious thought.

In terms of serious accidents occurring mainly to sub 7 kg models it's (a) possible testament to the effectiveness of the widespread adoption of the B as qualification to operate them or (b) a reflection of the predominance of smaller models being flown - depending on how you interpret the stats!

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/02/2011 13:20:51

true but not so sure clubs stating must have a B for anything over 7kg is going to help any,

an A is the cert to say you can fly safely a B is more about positioning and height control for displays etc

You could argue that the B requires a disciplined approach to flying and deeper knowledge of the legal implications in order to achieve it.

I think the reason that clubs adopt the standard is to give a clear level of demonstrated competence that defines the standard expected. If a pilot falls below these standards then it is for the club to take the necessary action.

Posted by Lee Smalley on 14/02/2011 15:22:20:
true but not so sure clubs stating must have a B for anything over 7kg is going to help any,

an A is the cert to say you can fly safely a B is more about positioning and height control for displays etc
The B isn't just about positioning and height control though, having a B means you have demonstrated control of a model in lots of different attitudes other than the right way up, and also demonstrated spin recovery, things which seem eminently sensible before moving on to larger models.

Even if you don't intend ever flying at shows, competitions or larger models it is worth working towards a B cert and beyond for no other or better reason than it inproves your flying skills and safety awareness.

Andy and Ralph have it right, Working toward an A or B should be a fun and pleasurable thing done for the sake of self improvement. IMHO its a pity if it gets mixed up into some sort of safe flying campaign where people are coerced into it. Particularly for the pilot who is not interested in show / display flying and is just doing his own thing in his own club.

stu k