I'd like to make a silencer

I think I would like to have a go at making a twin pipe box silencer for a Petrol engine.

Has anyone done it using Durafix ?

Are there any tutorial links that you guys may know of ?

Any info much appreciated

BB

Advert

Hi BB I made a silencer box for a ST 3250 some years ago using ali sheet and Techno weld . Seams kept splitting so had to use thicker sheet that added extra weight . I make silencers now for my scale models with thin sheet steel and braze it using oxy acetylene .It should be possible to silver solder using a good blowtorch Warbirds tend to need weight in the nose so the extra weight generally isn't a problem . Give it a go the weight diference isn't really that much and you can save a bundle. I There was a tutorial video for techno weld on u tube I believe .

Surely Durafix is a 1950's glue that's not even as good as balsa cement? Did you mean one of the ali welding kits like Techno Weld?

Have you seen the Alex Whitaker articles on silencer making in RCME a few years back? Used an ali extruded box section from some scrap source (TV stand?) as I recall. I have the magazine some where.

I made this twin outlet (Pitts style) silencer for this Ultimate about ten or twelve years back the engine was a Zenoah 45 also had a smoke pre-heater coil built into it. It lasted about twelve months but eventually cracked and wouldn't repair with Techno Weld which is what I used to build it with. The reason being once the aluminium is contaminated with oil I couldn't get it clean enough to repair with techno weld.

I've ordered and recieved 5 (repair rods 2-5) from Durafix. They do two sizes 2.5 & 4 mm (dia). Iv'e got a repair to do.

I'll look into silver soldering Engine Doctor - thanks.

Technoweld tutorial videos are here

BB

Lets hope Durafix is better than Durofix!

To get back to the subject, have you seen the Whitaker article I mentioned from RCME 2003 etc? It may be what you are looking for as it uses an ali extrusion and bolted endplates, so minimal ' welding '