Wanted - full size aero sim

Jonnor

Don't know if I've missed it on previous pages.......but does anyone know owt about sims for full size aircraft? Are there any available in the UK? I know there are quite a few in the U.S. but I'd rather deal with someone here.

I don't yearn to fly a 747 -- but when the weather's bad I'd like a change from my Phoenix (excellent) sim and fly say a full sized Cessna 172 or similar. Any help appreciated.
Jonnor

Advert

There are certainly some airliner sims that have in the past been available for "public" use when not busy training airline pilots. But from what I recall the price is $$$$ expensive. I've not heard of sims for anything like a Cessna though. I think the real Cessna would probably be (much) cheaper to fly than a 747 (or similar) sim.

Microsoft Flight Sim X. Bought it for my Dad at Xmas. Its simply awesome. He loves it. He like you just wanted to fly a good sim. He doesn't stop talking about how he's flown though the Alps or from Glasgow to Edinburgh etc etc. Get a joystick too...they're not that expensive.

The sim is about £15 on amazon.

I have the ms force feedback joystick, which feels good, I also have a yoke and pedals, but it is always such a nuisance to set them up.

Don't expect good frame rates with max detail unless you have a good machine and an even better video card, I like to have 25 fps, but it can drop back and get jerky

There are some good combat flight sims too if you like that sort of thing. I think Microsoft still do a WW2 one, and another excellent one is Il2 Sturmovik (there's also a sequel called "Forgotten Battles"). They're cheap too.

Each has a range of very realistic WW2 aircraft (of all sides) to fly - either just to fly around or on realistic combat missions (air-to-air or ground attack). Other combat sims are available for modern jets too. Not everybody's thing of course but great if you like warbirds.

• 1 month later...
Microsoft FSX is brilliant.
Dont muck about, get a Saitek flight yoke or similar, rudder pedals and a throttle quadrant, for starters ( you will only end up with them anyway) and these make your sim experience very real (add at least one extra screen so you can have instruments on one and decent cockpit view on the second)
Be prepared to spend hours and hours learning about navigation.

I'm hooked as you can see and would have spent less on flying lessons!!

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 09/03/2011 15:26:40:
There are some good combat flight sims too if you like that sort of thing. I think Microsoft still do a WW2 one, and another excellent one is Il2 Sturmovik (there's also a sequel called "Forgotten Battles"). They're cheap too.

Each has a range of very realistic WW2 aircraft (of all sides) to fly - either just to fly around or on realistic combat missions (air-to-air or ground attack). Other combat sims are available for modern jets too. Not everybody's thing of course but great if you like warbirds.

With regards to IL2 Sturmovik, i think the new release from the creators (ubi soft and Oleg) is out or is to be released very soon, it's called Cliffs Of Dover i believe, i used to play IL2 alot on-line but since unofficial "mods" and the like have become so vast and a little confusing sometimes, i gave up on it.

But if you want it for off-line play then it is the best for someone just getting into combat sims, (very cheap too).

My other favourite is X-plane, i have not played it for sometime, but the version i had allowed you to not only fly big birds, microlights gliders and helis, but you could also design and build your own aircraft from scratch, even down to designing the powerplant for it.

Flight sim X is good too but in my opinion you won't beat X-Plane

Edited By Dorset flyer on 03/05/2011 01:02:56

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Flightgear is a free flight sim. Tons of aircraft available for it, although the quality does vary. Current version 2.4 looks just as good as FSX with the various graphics options turned on and V2.6 is due out in January

Im also an aircraft developer and my projects can be dowloaded at www.fguk.eu ( mainly military aircraft though. )